PDA

View Full Version : Woodwork lessons/training

Jigsaw
19th October 2007, 10:19 PM
Whilst selling raffle tickets at the Melbourne Wood Show this year, I had several people (especially younger ladies) asking where they could go for wood working lessons. I pointed them to the group at the show that do run courses.
Whilst our club does not run structured lessons as such, I would like to know if other clubs do run lessons for beginners and how they go about it.
We also had a couple of young boys wanting to make guitars, one even had a slab (wood that is) under his arm.
It would be good to get some younger people involved in the wood working craft because they are every clubs future. They may lack practical experience but they may bring fresh ideas into the fold and encourage us old buggars to think outside the square ( round if you are a woodturner).

We had a young hippie lass, complete with dreadlocks etc join our club once. She was certainly different than the rest but certainly not in a bad way.

Jigsaw

Groggy
19th October 2007, 10:30 PM
Hi Jigsaw, I think I bumped into you at the show. I have been discussing with the admins the creation of a forum to advertise training courses (formal and informal)- I hope to have an answer shortly.

Stuart
19th October 2007, 10:40 PM
Not sure how many brochures I got rid of at the show - around 3-400 about the woodworking courses at Holmesglen Tafe. Of course, the first 3 on the handout were the Triton courses that I run (introduction, advanced and cabinetry), but the others were listed as well.

A lot of our club's members have come from attendees of the course, then join the club to 'continue' so to speak.

wheelinround
20th October 2007, 10:28 AM
Hope you invested time in telling them about the forum and how that can help:2tsup:

Jigsaw
20th October 2007, 11:30 PM
Groggy, that was me that came over to the stand to say hello. I also handed out some of the leaflets you gave me and had some on the raffle table for people to pick up. Although I have not logged in that much, I certainly told them it was a great forum to get involved with. Allan from Wallan is also in our club.

I really did not get a much of a chance to look around at the show as I spent almost 2 days selling the CWC tickets. I did not know the Tafe people had a presence otherwise I would have given them a plug.
We also sent several people over to the CWC stand to find their nearest club.

Jigsaw