PDA

View Full Version : Incra Build-It System thoughts???

Gwhat
20th October 2007, 09:43 AM
G'day Incra ites,

We had some samples of the new Incra Build It system (http://www.incra.com/product_buildit_main.htm) components at the Melbourne WWW Show, generally well received but we're looking for some more feedback as to what Aussie woodworkers think of the system.

The plans are free and will be supported by a 'how - to' DVD in due course.

You guys and gals will be the ones we will listen to when deciding what to stock, so please post your comments.

Regards

The Woodworker

Big Shed
20th October 2007, 09:58 AM
I had a look at this, both at the show and since on the Incra site. Looks interesting, if somewhat exxy. If past experience is any guide these bits will cost twice the $US and $A, so won't be cheap.

You ask which bits you should stock, as far as I can see you alreay stock most of them, with the exception of the T-Slot Connectors and the Build-It panels.
I can't see that you would be able to ship the panels from the US and sell them anywhere near a realistic price in Oz, so perhaps have them made locally or, better still, provide plans for people to cut and drill their own MDF panels.

So that would leave the T-slot connectors, without which the whole system is impossible!

Other than that, you've got the lot already.

Gwhat
20th October 2007, 10:12 AM
I can't see that you would be able to ship the panels from the US and sell them anywhere near a realistic price in Oz, so perhaps have them made locally or, better still, provide plans for people to cut and drill their own MDF panels.

Thanks Big Shed

We won't be looking at bringing MDF over the water, there's plenty here.
What about other application suggestions?

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards

The Woodworker

Big Shed
20th October 2007, 10:18 AM
G'day Incra ites,

You guys and gals will be the ones we will listen to when deciding what to stock, so please post your comments.

You did ask which bits to stock!

As for other applications, there are endless possibilities, but most will be decided on the basis of cost. I can see this being a reasonably exxy system in Oz.

Pusser
20th October 2007, 12:09 PM
The T slot connectors look good. One of the issues I have with using t slots in jigs is the thickness of the MDF you need to have to use. The T slot connectors look a good option. Cannot see me paying for MDF with a bunch of holes if that is what the board is.

Pusser

Big Shed
20th October 2007, 12:28 PM
To illustrate the economics of the Incra BuildIt System here is a costing of
the Adjustable Angle Crosscut, or a tablesaw sled.

Prices are based on those from Woodcraft US website

I have assumed that the user supplies his/her own MDF panels

2 Miter Sliders $US40.00

2 T-Slot Panel Connectors $US32.00

1 24" T-Track Regular $US10.00

1 24" T-Track Plus $US12.00

6 T-Track Knobs $US12.00

2 BuildIt Brackets $US9.00

1 BuildIt Clamp $US11.00

$US126.00

Therefore the cost of this sled would be at least $A252.00 plus MDF panels, as
I said above pretty exxy!

Tex79
21st October 2007, 12:36 PM
Apart from the tennon jig, is this item really that more versatile than the mitre express with the associated mitre gauges? I'd be very interested to read more info on thre product.

Big Shed, doe's your estimate include shipping because $US126.00 equates to $141.051AUD

Big Shed
21st October 2007, 01:28 PM
Apart from the tennon jig, is this item really that more versatile than the mitre express with the associated mitre gauges? I'd be very interested to read more info on thre product.

Big Shed, doe's your estimate include shipping because .00 equates to $141.051AUD

No, my estimate is based on projected Australian selling prices. If you compare Incra prices in the US with those charged here, you will find that Incra $US x2 equates to roughly the selling price in $A Australia.

I think if I was going to spend that much money on a sled, I'd pay the extra and get the Mitre (Miter?) Express. But spending $360 on a tablesaw sled is just a touch over the top, for me anyway.

Tex79
21st October 2007, 01:49 PM
No, my estimate is based on projected Australian selling prices. If you compare Incra prices in the US with those charged here, you will find that Incra x2 equates to roughly the selling price in Australia.

Sorry, my bad.

I couldn't agree more Big Shed, I've got the mitre express and 1000SE (Picked up O/S for less than half of Australian price) and with the graduated measurements and angles and high accuracy you couldn't go wrong, especially with a bit of thought you could probably manufacture a cross cut sled similar to the build it system for a fraction of the cost

MrFixIt
21st October 2007, 04:52 PM
G'day Incra ites,

We had some samples of the new Incra Build It system (http://www.incra.com/product_buildit_main.htm) components at the Melbourne WWW Show, generally well received but we're looking for some more feedback as to what Aussie woodworkers think of the system.

The plans are free and will be supported by a 'how - to' DVD in due course.

Regards

The Woodworker

I have oftem thought that SOMEONE in Australia should have T-Track and now even these T-Slot panel connectors extruded locally ie in OZ!

I contemplated doing it myself, but could not justify the cost. I am sure that a woodworking supply co could come to some arrangement or commercial decsion to have these items manufactured locally.

I was told when I mage my enquiries that a T-track die was available (I don't recall which extruding co had it). There was not enough demand for the T-track to be put in to production, so obviously it is not being made.

Maybe you could look into this or the options available?

You may need some form of permission from Incra to enable you to extrude their "design" or maybe you could have a variation in design?

Chris Parks
21st October 2007, 11:05 PM
Get the Chinese to do it. They don't give two thoughts to patents etc, it doesn't exist as far as they are concerned.