PDA

View Full Version : V tool sharpening,colored wood,cherry,help

nadcarves
21st October 2003, 01:08 PM
Sharpening the v tool: square it first on a stone or wheel. Set the angle of the keel to the angle you carve at.Now sharpen each wing to that angle. Then roll the center of the vee,and check for that white line with a glass. 1 mm of even the faintest white showing and you need the effort that goes into pushing a plow. Chri Pye has more instructions in an e-mail book he sells for app $9.00 us. For hand sharpening, I would suggest one of the diamond credit card sized sharpeners,they work well, a paper wheel and knife makers paste also..I got an Addis short bent Vee tool, brand new condition,the bevel was /is on the inside. Hot damn,something of interest, man I called the experts up, all over the flaming world. Not one could tell me the use. Found out as soon as I tried to make a cut....worthless. That is why it was in new condition.. Need colored wood crimson red, green, blue, does any of these exist in Australia?? Damn computer threw me a curve,someone in TIMBER asked about cherry. I burn the stuff. Not only does it carve well,it burns well. I wrote the post,and the wood offer thinking it was the carving section,so would one of you hackers either move it to carving, or blow up the board . Like Pop eye yused ta say,weeze karvers Olive,nots damn board cutters!!!! thanks for the help,cordially nadOne of my board cutting friends just put a laser on a cut off saw. My cut off saw for chunks of basswood is an old cross cut, next time he comes over, I will have duct taped one of those little laser pointers to the handle. Would it help cut any better???????