PDA

View Full Version : working with air dried timber

rod petts
20th October 2007, 06:16 PM
I am quite close to a sawmill where i purchase my green timber my query is that even though i air dry 6"x 1.1/2 rough sawn for a period of one year the wood can still move when sliced or planed for furniture any ideas:rolleyes:

thumbsucker
20th October 2007, 07:26 PM
All wood will move even kiln dried wood.

As for your question what kind of wood is it? If it is very hard wood a year may not be enough per inch. If it is like red gum then that is the nature of the wood to move for years.

Also what kind of area are you storing the timber, what shifts in humidity do you experience in your shed. The greater the shift the greater the movement.

DJ’s Timber
20th October 2007, 08:19 PM
What's the timber? My guess would be that it's not dry enough. Most species at 1 1/2" thick would need at least 1 1/2 years and this is dependant on location, storage and how it is stickered.

Notsquare
22nd October 2007, 09:45 AM
I haven't had a chance to use any timber which wasn't grown in Tasmania, hopefully I will one day. So I am not sure if you are using a timber which the following does not apply to. But if it is aus hardwood then, Please Please don't use air dried timber for any furniture projects which will end up inside a house, unless the style is some type of design which accommodates movement. You would never use air dried timber for a project where two of these boards were glued together. Not saying that it can;t be done, but the risk is pretty high that you will get excessive movement. The joint may fail very quickly. Most of us I guess are in a hurry to start a project, but I would recommend all timber which is destined for a furniture project be introduced to the environment to which it will end up, and for at least 3 months letting the timber season. I'm referring to kiln dried timber here, and often the timber will either further dry out, or absorb moisture from the surrounding air. Some timber such as huon pine, acts differently again. Some boards even after being kiln dried have such a high oil content, that they appear almost wet to the touch and special procedures need to be adopted to make sure the glue will stick. Cheers

Notsquare
22nd October 2007, 09:51 AM
Just had another thought, borers. Kiln drying eliminates the risk the green timber may have borers which can live for years after the timber has been sawn.

rod petts
23rd October 2007, 03:24 PM
the timber that i am using is messmate 1/4 cut the timber mill does not charge me any xtra however as i am an aged pensioner and live in pambula NSW buying kiln dried timber is out of the question. the timber is generally airdried under cover for six to eight months then placed inside the workshop until the drying time is up there is no heating in the workshop surely there has to be some kind of sealer to stop the timber moving what did they do before kiln drying was invented:)

Pusser
23rd October 2007, 05:05 PM
Painted or waxed the end grain, stickered it off the ground with a cover over and left it for about 1 year per inch.
Pusser

flynnsart
23rd October 2007, 11:25 PM
I remember some years ago reading about people making their own solar kilns to dry their timber, but cant remember where it was.

It usually takes me so long to make something from start to finish that the wood is quite dry by the time Im finished:rolleyes:

Donna

rod petts
25th October 2007, 06:07 PM
hello to all who replied to my query on air dried tim.ber I have now joined the top of the small table 440x 390 sanded to 600 grit cut and joined the legs and crossbars the top has remained flat and true i will polyurathane the top and stain the legs ready for the polyurathane. everything is still in the workshop when finished it will go to our lounge we will wait and see what happens then. onwood drying at the rate of 25ml per year does that mean that 50mlx50ml dries in one year or two

DJ’s Timber
25th October 2007, 06:32 PM
onwood drying at the rate of 25ml per year does that mean that 50mlx50ml dries in one year or two

That would be 2 years

echnidna
25th October 2007, 08:32 PM
Allow 2 years for 1 1/2" messmate to season properly

Canetoad
26th October 2007, 03:11 AM
had never thought of a timber kiln killing borers would have thought it was more of a tropical holiday

JCCLARK
26th October 2007, 03:30 AM
I ONLY use air-dried wood, but my lumber is stored in my shop
that is in my house, and everything I use has been indoors for at
least 2 yrs.
Here where I live, like most places, lumber will never dry enough for
furniture if stored outdoors.
It has to be kept in a "conditioned" area for furniture use.
If not, even kiln dried will gain to much moisture.

I have been using air dryed wood for furniture for about 30 yrs now,
never been a problem. Mine gets down to 4% in the winter.
There is no substitute for time, or ageing.
Every year I have it , it just gets better.
The real old stuff will test out to the same moisture as the newer stuff.
(everything will equalize over time, kiln or air dried.)
but the older stuff is so much more stable.
There's more to lumber than just the moisture content.:cool: