PDA

View Full Version : Where to start??

Dooden
21st October 2003, 02:28 PM
Hello sailors!!
I've recently moved to this lovely seaside area and there was an 11ft. ply hulled wooden boat LEFT in the back yard. I have next to no boat experience (but am a keen fisherman) ..... it's a beautifully shaped hull but has paint/varnish peeling off and I can see daylight in places where the hull meets the stern. I know it would require quite a bit of work but I have reasonably good carpentry skills and it would be a labour of love. Yet I have no idea re repairing plywood. Is it worth it? Any suggestions? I can't supply pics just yet.
Thanks for your time,

Daddles
23rd October 2003, 09:24 PM
You might be surprised with what you can get away with using modern epoxies - I know I constantly am. Having said that, as soon as you find yourself replacing sheets of ply you might be better off starting from scratch. Seeing you're a good carpenter, copying it might be an option however, an 11' boat aint all that big (says he building a 7' pram and planning a 12' boat).

My only concern is that these things can get expensive very quickly.

First off, look around at other plywood boats, both on the internet and in real life. Get someone to look at yours in real life would be good too. You'll need to decide where the dividing line between rebuild and brand new falls and a lot of that will depend on your attachment to the boat - hell, for the right boat, replacing every stick might be appropriate.

Piccies'd be real good.

Cheers
Richard