PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know the die size for tyre inflation valve?

Fossil
21st October 2007, 10:36 AM
I have to cut a thread on some brass tube for connection of airbag suspension on my vehicle. I can find my gauges at the moment and was wondering if anyone new the size. None of my dies fit so I need the size so I can purchase the die.

Thanks all

Fossil

pipeclay
21st October 2007, 11:35 AM
i dont think you would be far out with 5/16 x 32unf

Grahame Collins
21st October 2007, 10:50 PM
Hi Fossil
I think you are referring to the valve dustcap thread.

if not the Wikipedia says this about SCRADER valves which are practically standard.:

The Schrader Valve's Dimensions

The standard Schrader valve has the following thread:

External Thread

* METRIC: 7.7 mm OD, thread root diameter is 6.9 mm x 0.794 mm pitch.
* IMPERIAL: 0.305 in OD, thread root diameter 0.302 in x 32 tpi (threads per inch)

Internal Thread (the valve core)

* METRIC: 5.30 mm OD x 0.706 mm pitch
* IMPERIAL: 0.209 in OD x 36 tpi.

None of the above tally with pitch or diameter sizes in my Drills and taps booklet,I think it may be a special.

If adapting to the external dust cap thread why not get a metal dust cap and silver solder a connection.

Grahame

greaser_au
22nd November 2007, 11:35 PM
Hi Fossil,

Very late in on this one, sorry.

if you want to cut a thread on the outside of the tube, some of the better quality valve tools have a die in the bottom for re-threading damaged tyre valve stems. google: "schrader valve tool 4-way"

Without knowing what you want to achieve, I'd suggest another alternative may be to visit a tyre place that does truck tyres. you may be able to find a suitable already threaded tube or bolt-in valve stem that you can work with (for example - valves on bus & truck wheels). You might see something you like in the catalogues here: http://www.rlmdistributing.com.au/products.html
Look under: Tyre Valves & Tyre-Related Accessory Products
» haltec catalogue
» wonder products

good luck in your quest
david