PDA

View Full Version : Off-beat uses for a lathe

rsser
22nd October 2007, 07:25 PM
Here's one, from Leo Lichtman in the US:

'Today I used my Stubby 750 as a truing stand for a bicycle wheel. Using a laser beam, I was able to adjust side-to-side wobble and radial runout easily. On a rear wheel, it is necessary to offset the rim to allow room for the rear cog cluster. Using the laser beam and a pocket inch scale, this was fairly straightforward. So, folks, don't be in too big a hurry to sell your Stubby, even if your turning activities are in a slump.

What other off-beat uses have any of you found?'

powderpost
22nd October 2007, 07:48 PM
A boiler maker friend from Cooktown, broke a rear axle in his 4wd F350. He welded it together and annealed it in some hot coals, then spun it by hand in my lathe. Using the tool rest and some whit chalk, found the high spots. Then it was removed and persuaded into shape with a large hammer. The "repair" got him back to Cooktown, but I never where the axle ended up.
Jim

bobsreturn2003
22nd October 2007, 07:49 PM
used my woodlathe to turn down some gal pipe for wifes clothes line .couldnt get correct tube locally . used scroll chuck and live centre with alloy adaptor on tailstock . didnt cut very well ,cleaned up with 100mm grinder ,while turning slowly . old lathe is 1500mm ctc , bingo it worked . lesson 1 -dont drop palms on clothes line ,as parts are hard to get ,lesson 2 -wood lathes are good things to have ,3- watch the tail end as if it comes out it will hurt . cheers bob

Gra
22nd October 2007, 08:10 PM
I know of at least one motorcyclist that has turned his own replacement leg:o...

Wood Butcher
22nd October 2007, 08:15 PM
Lathes are really handy when you need to respool all your fishing reels. Just take the sppol of the reel and mount it in a jaw chuck. I just hold the new line spool on a piece of dowel and let it go!

Christopha
22nd October 2007, 08:31 PM
I have done the fishing line thing and I have turned parts of a prosthetic leg also, have mounted many bits of motorcycles to be cleaned and polished. Have used one on very low speed to rotate a fishing rod while the lacquer on it dried and I have mounted a nice flat plate sideways in the chuck on a hot day as a fan while I turned on a lathe next door.... worked great till the "fan blade" whistled past me into the wall!

rodent
22nd October 2007, 10:08 PM
An idiot attractor > When people who don't know I turn walk into the work shop and say what's that , then they ask you what do you turn , then get shown , then have a try ( under supervision of course ) leave 2-4 hours later than supposed to , with where to get one ( can i go with them to get it ) what clubs are about , and a catalogue or two .tadaa LOL Oh and what tools do they need ?

scooter
22nd October 2007, 10:37 PM
Mine serves as a bench for all manner of crap. Put some away when I actually want to use it... :D

Spun a bolt held in the SN2 & hit it with the angle grinder to make an arbor for the holesaw set.

RETIRED
23rd October 2007, 08:32 AM
Hmmm? Welding bench. Clamping bench. Bender. Folder. Horizontal drill press. Horizontal clamping device. Bandsaw wheel balancer and truer upperer.:) A water pump driver. Test bench for alternators and generators. Compressor.

Sometimes I use it as a lathe too.

Rookie
23rd October 2007, 09:45 AM
Here's one, from Leo Lichtman in the US:

.......... So, folks, don't be in too big a hurry to sell your Stubby, even if your turning activities are in a slump.

This guy's kidding isn't he???

SELL the Stubby. I'd walk over broken glass to get a Stubby.

Cliff Rogers
23rd October 2007, 10:09 AM
I use mine as dust collectors.

ss_11000
23rd October 2007, 05:09 PM
I use mine as dust collectors.
dont you mean storage space for the dust:?

Calm
23rd October 2007, 05:40 PM
This guy's kidding isn't he???

SELL the Stubby. I'd walk over broken glass to get a Stubby.

Dont know about that - send him a PM and ask him:D:D:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
23rd October 2007, 05:49 PM
dont you mean storage space for the dust:?
Nope, it is a dust collector, it collects there just nicely all by itself.

ss_11000
23rd October 2007, 07:45 PM
Nope, it is a dust collector, it collects there just nicely all by itself.
trained it well, you have, master cliff:bowdown: :yoda emoticon inserted here:

:D

Terry B
23rd October 2007, 10:49 PM
I've turned various bits of aluminium on my wood lathe mostly to make camera adapters for my telescope. I have just used a scraping tool very carefully at a relatively slow speed.

rsser
9th March 2008, 11:31 AM
Missus' sewing machine stopped properly loading thread onto the bobbin so put it between centres, dialed on about 1000 rpm and bingo, job done.

funkychicken
9th March 2008, 02:40 PM
Bandsaw wheel balancer and truer upperer.

Hmm... That idea may be of some use to me...