PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy upholstery tools/supplies?

normanjr
23rd October 2007, 05:44 PM
I've been looking for some time for a retail/online store where I can purchase foam, webbing stretching tools, good quality indoor/outdoor fabrics and the like for a few projects i've got in the pipe line.

I've found Clark Rubber to be pretty good for a range of foam, and a couple of sorts of webbing, but I'm interested to hear if anyone else has some favourite suppliers (preferably in Melbourne for me) but even if you're not Vic based tell us who you source your upholstery products from as i'm sure there'd be plenty of people looking for new/alternative suppliers.

Cheers,

Norman

Barry_White
23rd October 2007, 05:53 PM
Hi Norman

I was looking for the exact same things today and this is what I found.

http://www.diyupholsterysupplies.com.au/index.htm

Barry_White
23rd October 2007, 06:00 PM
BTW Norman they are in Wangaratta.

flynnsart
23rd October 2007, 11:10 PM
Good site Barry, might give them a go next time I want to upholster something.

Donna

normanjr
24th October 2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks Bazza that site is gold!

No more being sent to camping stores when you ask people at hardware stores for a webbing stretcher!

Arch Stanton
26th October 2007, 08:40 AM
R.B. Gray
34 Lexton Road Box Hill

They appear to have all the gear you need. I've only ever bought foam from them.

They have a good range of foam and will cut to any thickness or size.

Brian

CuriousBird
30th October 2007, 04:43 PM
There is also www.padghamupholstery.com.au (in Melbourne) - click on "upholstery supplies".

Although www.diyupholsterysupplies.com.au does look cheaper... I'm about to buy one of their larger size startup kits (stretcher, hammer, tack chisel, needles, etc) for $240.

Doesn't seem to be a great deal around does there??! Rhi

adrianp
20th December 2007, 07:46 PM
Hi,
I am Adrian from Padgham Upholstery based in Moorabbin, Victoria and I noticed recently that our business has been mentioned on your forum. I have 37 years upholstery experience and we can provide a complete range of tools and supplies for the hobbyist upholsterer .

We offer free ongoing advice to anyone who wants to reupholster their own furniture. In February 2008 we will be commencing Upholstery Classes for Beginners on Thursday evenings.

I look forward to answering your queries regarding upholstery.

Regards,
Adrian

martrix
12th August 2010, 01:01 PM
Hi,
I am Adrian from Padgham Upholstery based in Moorabbin, Victoria and I noticed recently that our business has been mentioned on your forum. I have 37 years upholstery experience and we can provide a complete range of tools and supplies for the hobbyist upholsterer .

We offer free ongoing advice to anyone who wants to reupholster their own furniture. In February 2008 we will be commencing Upholstery Classes for Beginners on Thursday evenings.

I look forward to answering your queries regarding upholstery.

Regards,
Adrian

oh baby, old post I know but I am looking into and currently designing myself a lounge to build. Definitely will be visiting your store, cheers.

adrianp
12th August 2010, 05:09 PM
We are happy to help and look forward to meeting you.

DMJYwyg
6th January 2011, 08:22 PM
Good site Barry, might give them a go next time I want to upholster something.

Donna
:doh::doh::doh:you can go to shop in person,or you can search online

philmoresupply
23rd March 2011, 08:52 AM
Hello,
I see you are looking for a retail place to buy upholstery supplies. I am the owner of Philmore Supply, and we sell tons of upholstery supplies as well as foam. Please visit our site to see everything we offer
www.philmoresupply.com (http://www.philmoresupply.com)

Thank you!

Dianne

TheDad
30th March 2011, 03:29 PM
Prices looked good until I discovered they were in Americcee

Barry_White
30th March 2011, 04:06 PM
Prices looked good until I discovered they were in Americcee
Have a look at the site I posted in the second post from the top.

TheDad
30th March 2011, 04:36 PM
Have a look at the site I posted in the second post from the top.
yep saw that, I love osbourne hammers, and my son "borrowed" my ripping chisel and I have never seen it again, maybe will get a new one and another hammer, can never have too many hammers

adrianp
16th May 2011, 12:48 PM
Just to let everyone know that we are now doing Morning, Afternoon and Evening classes in our Melbourne factory/showroom. We have people travel from places such as Mansfield, Sale, Geelong and Ballarat to attend our weekly classes.
Check out our Upholstery Courses online at http://www.padghamupholstery.com.au
For those in other states we have a great range of Upholstery DIY books , tools etc available online.:)

PlanePig
12th June 2011, 11:36 PM
Hi classes sound good - but I'm in sydney:( I'm after a staple gun for when I do screen printing & maybe some upholstery down the track- what would be the best size to get /
planepig

adrianp
13th June 2011, 09:26 AM
If you want a staple gun for upholstery you need a gun that is driven by an air compressor otherwise it is not powerful enough to drive the staples through hardwood. An 80 series staple gun is the best for Upholstery.
In our classes our students use a magnetic upholsterers hammer. The hammers are just what you need if you dont want to spend the money on a gun and compressor.
We will be in Sydney next week June 17,18,19 at the Timber and Working with Wood Show at the RHI and Moore Pavillion and you can see them at our stand.
If you are not able to get to the show you can see them in our online store.
Adrian from Padgham Upholstery and UpholsterySupplies.com.au

adrianp
31st January 2012, 11:06 AM
Although we are Melbourne based upholstery supplies company we get daily requests to hold classes interstate. Due to overwhelming demand we have made a DVD on how to rebuild a coil spring seat.
See the DVD trailer Padgham Uphol DVD Trailer.mp4 - YouTube
We are also offer free ongoing advice on all your upholstery projects:)

Antipodes
12th August 2012, 10:06 PM
DVD useful but anyone got tips on a suitable Sydney-based course. I've done a couple before but in another time and place.

adrianp
13th August 2012, 10:32 AM
Glad you found our Padgham Upholstery Rebuilding A Coil Spring Seat DVD informative. We had many requests for people wanting to know how to upholster a sprung chair who are unable to come to our classes in Melbourne. As you are Sydney I can suggest you contact Macquarie Evening College, Nepean Community College - Penrith and Katoomba and St George Hurstville College who run classes. We have no links to these courses however have been told about them by our customers.:U

Antipodes
13th August 2012, 08:50 PM
Adrian, thanks for these suggestions - these are some seriously far-flung locations for someone who lives in inner-city Sydney with no car but Hurstville might be a goer by the skin of its teeth. I will investigate.

Can hopefully visit your shop next time in Melbourne.

Oz Upholstery
15th June 2016, 05:56 PM
I know this is a bit of an old thread, just encase anyone new stumbles upon it in the search of upholstery tools, we have recently launched our new online store at https://ozupholsterysupplies.com.au, if anyone has any queries on specific tools or anything else upholstery, I'd be glad to help via private message/email.