PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Incra joint

sbolton
24th October 2007, 01:51 PM
Last night I had time to cut one half blind dovetail on my new Incra Ultra Lite. I appreciate the comments I received on that.

Tonight I tried it again. My main complaint this time is that the joint doesn't fit snug. I think this can be cured by raising the bit a little.

Overall, the joint is cleaner looking with more uniform gaps.

Last night, when I cut the tails, I only used my hand instead of a clamp. Using the clamp makes a big difference.

Any comments welcome.

sb

Pusser
24th October 2007, 02:41 PM
Using the clamp would make a big difference!. I think raising the bit tighens joints on all half blind jigs. That is what the Leigh video says anyway. The graphic explaining why leads me to believe it would work on the incra anyway. Good luck

Pusser

underused
24th October 2007, 02:49 PM
You shouldnt have to raise the bit to get a tight fit.
Make sure you keep the tail and pin wood flat down on the router table, a flat table helps:wink:. Sometimes the wood lifts slightly on the right angle fixture. needs to be clamped and checked for flatness along the table
cheers.

Sprog
24th October 2007, 05:59 PM
See pages 6 and 7 of your Ultra Lite manual.
It explains the setting of the router bit depth of cut and centring the bit.

These are simple setup procedures with which you will want to become familiar. They will be used every time you prepare to cut a joint at your router table. Once you get a good setup, one of the test boards can be saved and used to set the depth of cut for subsequent joints.

As well as clamping the tail board to the right angle fixture, a rubber faced push block is great for keeping the board pushed hard against the fence and pressed down onto the table.

Big Shed
24th October 2007, 06:50 PM
See, unlike what it says in the Code of Practice, there is a use for reading instructions, or RTFM:2tsup:

Am about to embark on making 16 drawers with half-dovetail joints on my Incra LS, so I'll be doing just that tonight.:wink: