PDA

View Full Version : single blokes recipes

Christopha
24th October 2007, 05:14 PM
Well I don't exactly know about "recipes" but any and all suggestions for dead set easy food for blokes what doan got no sheilas cookin for 'em..... doan own an oven, just a mike and a wee cooktop thing, no slow cookin machinery, oh, and a sandwich squasher thing. I also have a barby of course, a real one, a hunka 3/8" plate over some gas burners, not one a them poofy things with a lid!:2tsup:
What ya got out there????:?
Help a starvin old fat bloke please.....:C:C:C

Waldo
24th October 2007, 06:00 PM
G'day,

Pizza from around the corner and some vitamins nice and cold out of the freezer. :2tsup:

Can't go wrong and you won't burn anything, stuff anything up or have anything to wash up 'cause there's no dishes.

Harry72
24th October 2007, 07:03 PM
Sandwich's and wraps so many possibility's and no cookin needed!
I could live off them easy!

ss_11000
24th October 2007, 07:16 PM
get a pie maker and make real pies:cool:

Iain
24th October 2007, 07:55 PM
I got one of them poofy things with a lid cos I've got hair and know how to use one without reading instructions or burning everything:rolleyes:

echnidna
25th October 2007, 09:34 PM
Cooking for 1 is a bit of a pain getting quantities right so I usually used to cook up a reasonable quantity and freeze a few servings in old marg containers.

I prefer salads to veggies but you need a bit of variety or any food becomes mundane.

Here's a coupla ideas that might help

I'd boil a bit of rice with some mixed frozen vegs plus some peas/beans etc (takes about 15 minutes to cook) Goes well with sausages, rissoles, chops or steak etc

I had a slow cooker, so soup and casseroles were real easy

I'd make up a batch of soup, which might be made from some chicken stock or a pack of cheap french onion soup. Sometimmes I'd just add mixed frozen vegs, others times I'd use a soup pack of vegs or even a pkt of dried peas and lentils etc.

Or I'd make up a casserole which is really soup but with less water and some meat, which might be some bbq lamp chops or just some mince broken up into it.

Anything in the frig that started to go limp got cubed and put in the soup/casseroles (even apples and lettuce etc went in)

Some stock powder's a good thing as you can add flavour to bland tasting things.

Apricot chicken's real easy to make, some chicken bits, a can of apricot nectar a pkt of french onion soup. Served with the rice veggie mix tastes real good

manoftalent
25th October 2007, 11:57 PM
jeez guys ...I could make a tidy livin teaching ya how to cook ......its not that hard ....and with all those "packet" stuffs you blokes use, its no wonder your single ....in case ya didnt know ....girls love a guy that "can" cook...so lets get busy in edumakatin ya's

veal scallopini.......

four or five thin slices of fresh veal
a handful of plain flour
a handful (one medium) onion finely sliced ( and yes take the peel off first)
a good handful of fresh sliced mushrooms ( yes I suppose you could cheat and buy the ready sliced ones from safeway)
one small 300ml cream
one teaspoon of minced garlic
1/4 cup of beef stock ( comes in handy 1ltr and 1/2 ltr packs, put the rest in the fridge once opened )
a splash a white wine ...the rest of the bottle can be drunk with dinner :;

couple of brushed potatoes
a handful of fresh beans, topped and tailed ...( just cut a bit off each end)

peel potatoes and cover with COLD water .....place on stove and bring to boil .....place a small pot on stove with water and a pinch of salt and bring to boil ....this one we will use for the beans ..
take fry pan and splash a little oil in it and set it on a high flame ....take veal slices and coat them in flour ...then lay them in the pan to cook give em about 30 seconds and turn them over ...add onions, and beef stock ....add splash of white wine ....salt and pepper to taste ..( pinch of each is ok ).....keep frying till almost 1/2 liquid is gone then add half of the bottle of cream ( put rest in fridge)....add mushrooms and stir turn down flame to simmer ....
place beans in boiling water ....and cook for three minutes
potatoes should be almost done .....stab em with a knife and see if they are soft ......if so .....drain and mash them with a knob of butter and a splash of leftover cream ....salt and pepper to taste ......spoon onto plate ....place beans on side of potato mound ......using tongs place veal strips on top and pour over the juices ......

pull up a slab and tuck in ......feel smug with yaself .....cause tonight ...you cooked italian :roll:

Iain
26th October 2007, 07:54 AM
I try to avoid anything that comes in a pack, including stock, usually full of MSG which gives me a screaming headache.
Like him up there said, it's not hard to cook and veal is a good starter, I also like curries, meaning making your own powder or paste from whole ingredients and chilli con carne, the real one not that crappy bean and mince concoction which seems to have no origin.
Failing that, I'll buy a decent pizza on the way home.

Ianab
26th October 2007, 10:12 AM
A wok is a good way to fix up a quick meal.

Just throw in some chunks of meat or chicken, then some veges, onion, carrot, mushrooms, capsicum or just a handfull of frozen mixed vege. Fry it all up, throw in some crispy noodles and stir in some sweet chilli sauce.

Takes 10 mins and minimal dishes to wash.

If you have company, just put more in and impress them with your cooking skills :wink:

Cheers

Ian

Christopha
26th October 2007, 01:22 PM
A wok would be good if I had A; A wok and B; something to get the thing flamin' hot.
I bought a new fridge and freezer yesterday which will be delivered in a week or two so I can do the bulk thing and freeze in marg containers.... good!
MOT, the veal sounds good but not exactly budget tucker mate!

Bleedin Thumb
26th October 2007, 02:03 PM
I agree with you regarding those stupid BBQ's with hoods, I've had mine for 10 years.. that's 10 years of the thing looking like it fell out of the grease trap truck...10 years of trying to get it clean only to get some ...person of the opposite persuasions cook something to a charcoaled crisp with the hood down!
Christ don't get me started...
The next one will be the old flat plate - no grill, ACME- Bog Standard, hold the stainless steel mate - type ....IE chick proof.

Call me old fashioned ( not a misogynist).

manoftalent
26th October 2007, 03:55 PM
actually Chris, its not as expencive as you might think, and you could always sub the veal for chicken or pork ...shop with care you probably would get change outta $20.....about the same as a tinny and fat laden pizza ...just a lot healthier.

tips for the budget minded

waste nothing ...carrot tops/tails ...onion peels and other below ground vegs make a good stock.....do not use leaves ..they make a stock cloudy and bitter

use the stock as base for soups and stews and casseroles

buy for four .....freeze the rest for later meals
only go shopping with a list ....and stick to it
a special in the pre packed meat dept is not always a good buy ......over the counter is usually cheaper ( you pay for the packing and set weight)
example ; next time at safeway ...check out the price of pre packed chicken fillets .......then check over the counter prices ....you will see what I mean ....

Iain
26th October 2007, 05:51 PM
I agree with you regarding those stupid BBQ's with hoods, I've had mine for 10 years.. that's 10 years of the thing looking like it fell out of the grease trap truck...10 years of trying to get it clean only to get some ...person of the opposite persuasions cook something to a charcoaled crisp with the hood down!

We got the Weber Q about a year or so ago and cook with the hood down, it is bloody brilliant and gas seems to last forever, no hot spots like those big sods just nice even cooking, albeit a bit on the expensive side, but I expect it to last a for a lot more years than those big black bastards that take up the whole back paddock.

scooter
28th October 2007, 01:14 PM
Chris, a good slap together ribsticker is scrambled eggs, mashed spud (microwave spud-easy) and grated cheese all mixed together - yummo :)

Harry72
28th October 2007, 08:31 PM
jeez guys ...I could make a tidy livin teaching ya how to cook ......its not that hard ....and with all those "packet" stuffs you blokes use, its no wonder your single ....in case ya didnt know ....girls love a guy that "can" cook...so lets get busy in edumakatin ya's
Bah... thats why I married a chef last year, she cooks in the kitchen and I make the kitchen:)

echnidna
28th October 2007, 08:47 PM
And its well worthwhile having a crockpot (slow cooker), its one of the few things you can put on and almost forget about without stuffin up the food.

Christopha
28th October 2007, 09:15 PM
This evenings' culinary delight consisted of three DimSims miked, 1/2 an avocado with balsamic and olive oil followed by a toasted cheese snger.... all washed down with a can of vintage coca cola...... buuuurp!

scooter
28th October 2007, 09:17 PM
But were they Marathon dimmys, Chris?? :hmm:

manoftalent
28th October 2007, 10:36 PM
:oo::oo::oo::oo:......some things are better just left alone .....Chris mate ......get married or a female companion that can cook .....I got chills just reading what you had for dinner ..:C......Good onya Harry :2tsup: smart move mate!

Iain
29th October 2007, 07:49 AM
Dim Sims, the Asian mystery bag, the avocados sound OK but dim sims, oh dear.
Used to work with a bloke who had three of them in a long roll with soy, it was a sickening way to start a Friday in the office with this gourmet delight at 8.30am.

Christopha
30th October 2007, 06:41 PM
But were they Marathon dimmys, Chris?? :hmm:

Marathon? Nar, I finished 'em in about 5 minutes..... Reckon it's going to be chicken lumpy gooey bits glued to a thin piece of bamboo dowelling stuff suitably incinereated on the barby, the other half of the Avocado and a couple of sparagus things the ex sent me home with... and more coke! Cordon Bleuch!:2tsup:

Meggles
3rd November 2007, 12:05 AM
my dad eats by himself most night with my brother and i at work and i usually make up a huge meal and then freeze it in portions for him, otherwise the best single ppl meal is some pasta with stir through sauce, chuck in some cooked chicken (and vegies if you feel like it,) bit of mozzarella on top and stick it in the oven till the cheese melts, double yumm!

weisyboy
3rd November 2007, 06:15 PM
lump a meat (steak, chop, sanga) onion and some spud slabs chucked on the barbie dose me most knights. ya kan chuck a banana and tom on there if ya lookin for a change.