PDA

View Full Version : Flexible shaft

Nick111
23rd October 2003, 11:51 PM
Hi all,

I'd like to buy a flexible shaft carving tool to do some medium size sculpturing/carving. Could you please advice which tool to buy. At the moment, I have a choice of 3 machines:

1. Foredom: 1/8 hp, 18000 rpm, 2.3 mm, 3.2 mm and 6.4 mm collets. Good one, however a bit expensive $700

2. Dremel 7360 1/4 hp. 1000-22000 rpm, 3.0-3.2 mm and 6.0-6.4 mm collets. I was told it is manufactured in Mexico, so it is doubtful quality. $400

3. Archer at Carba-Tec, 1/4 hp, made in Australia. $280.
0-20000 rpm, 3 jaw chuck, capacity 0-4 mm. Kit also includes reciprocating handpiece with 5 small carving chisels.

Appreciate any suggestions/advices, especially on the last one :) .

Cheers

Nick111

schaf
13th November 2003, 10:48 AM
Hi Nick,

If this is any help,I purchased a Dremel second hand about 4 years ago.
It has done a ton of work for me in that time and I replaced a set of brushes about 8 weeks ago.
Highly recommend the dremel but have no experience with the fredom or archer.
I now find that I prefer to use chisels and always on the lookout in second hand shops and garage sales but not with much success.

Regards Terry.

ozwinner
13th November 2003, 04:02 PM
Hi Nick
I think you will find the build quality of Mexican stuff very good.
I have a Ford Yoot that was made in Mexico, cant find any fault with it.
A lot of stuff from USA is either made by Mexicans in the USA, or by Mexicans in Mexico.
I think thats why the USA export so much stuff, so cheaply. :(
Thats why we cant compete, no Mexicans, unless you count us Victorians. :eek:
Cheers, Allan :)

Desiree
14th November 2003, 09:54 AM
Hello there

I have the Foredom 1/8 hp, 18000 rpm. You'r right it is expensive but it's a great tool and has never failed me. I have had it for two years now which isn't really that long and I use it all the time. Not only for my woodcarving but also for sharpening knifes and blades. The fact that there is no motor in the hand peice makes it very easy to work with.

Personally if you can afford it, I recommend it!

Cheers
Des;)

AlexS
14th November 2003, 09:17 PM
Don't know if they're still around, but I bought a GMC about a year ago and find it does what I want it too quite well mainly bandsaw sharpening and fine sanding irregular spots.

It has a flexible shaft or can be used with the chuck in the main handpiece. Has a 3.2 mm chuck, revs at 8000 - 20000 rpm, a bit slower than the Dremel I think. Cost $149, & has the usual GMC 30 day/2 year warranty.

fxst
15th November 2003, 12:53 AM
I got lucky the other day... picked up a yellow dremel lookalike(Warrior) with lots of acces including diamond tipped bits and .....flex shaft:) for an all up cost of $49.00 at our local mitre 10
the tool has bearings so should last a bit of time. Now I dont have to keep taking the dremel out of the drill press:D
Pete

Bubinga
30th April 2004, 03:04 PM
I'm very happy with my Foredom 1/3 hp permanant rare earth magnet flex drive(TX). The speed is a bit lower,(15000), but the torque is great. The tool doesn't bog at all on the hardest woods.
Rick

Latest car sculpturehttp://home.comcast.net/~rlandres/Purpleheart_BMW.jpg

Bob Willson
30th April 2004, 04:29 PM
The Archer is currently on special at Carbatec for $199

3 Days only ,sale starts 7/5/04 ends 9/5/04