PDA

View Full Version : X3 Mill converted to CNC

rodm
24th October 2007, 06:35 PM
Hi,
I have almost finished my conversion on the X3 using the CNCFusion Deluxe kit. I still have a little tidying up of wiring and a full enclosure to make. I have set rapids at 2m/min which is my comfort level but it can run much higher rapids. Everything else is on the video.

YouTube - X3 CNC

John H
24th October 2007, 07:59 PM
Nice one!

Did the kit include everything you needed or did you have to top up some extras?

rodm
24th October 2007, 08:40 PM
Hi John,
Yes all the mechanicals. Here is a a link if you want more information.
http://www.cncfusion.com/
It is the Deluxe kit I have used which claims zero backlash.

hux
24th October 2007, 11:00 PM
Come on how 'bout some pics with chips Rod:2tsup:

rodm
25th October 2007, 12:19 AM
Come on how 'bout some pics with chips Rod:2tsup:

What and get it dirty. :D

Yeah once the enclosure is done and coolant added it will get a hammering. The driver box below the table makes it a little prone to letting out smoke if I am too impatient.

Phil Mailloux
3rd November 2007, 01:28 AM
The CNC looks great. I'm really tempted now :D

So what else did you have to buy besides the kit and the X3 mill?

Controllers? Software? I'd be curious to know which controllers you got and how much they were and which software you got with it too. Where did you get instructions on putting the kit together and configuring the controller part?

rodm
3rd November 2007, 02:20 AM
Hi Phil,
The controller is a mix and match. I used a C10 breakout board ($25US) from
CNC4PC to interface between the computer and drivers.
The rest of the gear I got direct from the manufacturer in China. Details are:
I used a 8078 driver ($87US) for the Nema34 on Z axis and two 5056 drivers ($56US each) for the Nema 23 on X and Y. Power supplies were $27US and I needed two. Nema 34 600 oz motor was $36US and Nema23 497oz motors were $20US each. All the above plus shipping and if you compare prices with local and overseas suppliers you will see these are very cheap.
Even so I suspect you are a bit put off by the total as most are but when you compare it to a commercial CNC mill you are making a considerable saving.
I use Mach3 ($159US) for the controller software and Vcarvepro ($495US) to design and create the code for the controller.
I have put together a few CNC mills and made a couple of gantry routers so I sort of know what to do but CNCZone forum is where I get my information from. Very helpful people on that site.

Phil Mailloux
3rd November 2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the info. Looking at those prices, it's not as expensive as I would think. I know motors, controllers and software can add up quite a bit :)

I'm not familiar with Vcarvepro, is that a CAD program like Autocad or Inventor? If so, I already own copies of both of those. I just have no idea if I can create G-code with them.

EDIT: I was already looking into getting one of the cheaper Hafco mills under $2000, the X3 looks flimsier next to those ones. Would the other machines (hm-30, hm-31, hm- 35, hm-45) be easilly modified to CNC?

Also, how is the X3? Does it work better than it looks? I look at it and the size and shape of it just looks cheap next to the bigger machines they have on display :U

glock40sw
3rd November 2007, 11:19 AM
G'day Phil.
I have an X3. It's not CNC yet, just manual control.
I make compensators and scope mounts for handguns on it.
SO far it has done everything I need.

Tooling can really make or break these machines. I tried the cheap ebay stuff, but now only buy Sutton slot drills and endmills.

I did pickup some solid carbide endmills from ebay. these work great for milling hardened gun parts.

I tried to talk the financial controller into letting me CNC the X3, but she needs (wants) new interior paint and curtains.:doh:

rodm
3rd November 2007, 12:35 PM
Hi Phil,
I haven't used the X3 yet as I need to finish making a enclosure so I can use coolant. I have an X2 hybrid mill which has been converted to CNC and I love using it to produce parts. The way I have strengthened it it is probably more rigid than my manual HM45.
Here is the link (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=43237)
The X3 is for the hobby market and I would not use one for industrial use however some do and find them fine for prototyping. The round column HM30 series are really not suited to CNC unless you only want to convert the quill travel. The HM45 does convert well to CNC as it has a dovetail column but the cost of converting is multiples of the cost of converting an X3. The larger and longer ballscrews are on a different page in the price book and you have to go to servos to move the tables and head around.
The advantage of CNC is you go have a cuppa with SHMBO or tinker with something else while your job is running. Shallow cuts on the X3 overcome less rigidity than the larger machines so it works if you are not concerned about production times.

Vcarvepro is an all in one drawing and CAM package. Very easy to use for us dummies. If you have Autocad then you can export to Mach3 through a built in CAM package called Lazycam. I tried Lazycam in my learning curve for CNC and for me it was not easy to understand.

Trevor,
There are three X3's CNC'd over here all using different kits (Syil, the Aussie Kit and CNCFusion) so after your painting and decorating chores are finished get in touch if you want some feedback on the different kits. A couple of the machines are running belt driven 3 phase motors and VFD's as well. I think you have a motor controller from one of the blokes that sold his original gear on ebay.

gatiep
3rd November 2007, 03:18 PM
Guys, that X3 looks really good in real life. Paid a visit to Rod during the week.......we had a bit of a fiddle with the X3....wow a job well done. But having said that, so are all the stuff Rod does.
I would love to see the mill in the enclosure Rod, c'mon its only Saturday, how about showing us the completed unit on this Sunday night!

(guess we cant take the mickey on here as we do in real life Rod, lol).

:U

Fossil
3rd November 2007, 04:48 PM
Very nice! :)

rodm
3rd November 2007, 05:19 PM
Guys, that X3 looks really good in real life. Paid a visit to Rod during the week.......we had a bit of a fiddle with the X3....wow a job well done. But having said that, so are all the stuff Rod does.
I would love to see the mill in the enclosure Rod, c'mon its only Saturday, how about showing us the completed unit on this Sunday night!

(guess we cant take the mickey on here as we do in real life Rod, lol).

:U

Gatiep,
I thought you would at least set me a challenge and make it tonight - an extra day is very generous of you. :D
In reality this will be a two week job as I have to cut and mill some plates as well as work out how I am actually going to make it. As usual no plans and it will grow as materials on hand allow and my imagination can extend.
I will try and build as much wieght into it as I can so that when I invite you to give me a hand shifting it you will earn your free coffee. :D Sorry best I can do as a come back.

Fossil,
Thanks.

rodm
24th December 2007, 01:38 AM
Well it took a little longer than a day to build the enclosure. A lot of work to form the tray and then make everything fit. I'll let the photos show how it was made.

Fossil
24th December 2007, 07:36 AM
Very nice work! I like it.

What sort of parts are you intending to do Rod?
I might have a little market for you if you want to work in 6082 t6 temper aluminum, as well as stainless. Small parts for the racing model "industry"

rodm
24th December 2007, 11:37 AM
Hi Fossil,
Thanks for the offer but I already have enough work to keep me off the streets. :) My goal is to keep building bigger machines and sell them until I can afford to CNC my HM45.
The fellow I sold my X2 to might be interested so if you don't mind I will pass this on to him. Let me know.

charris
2nd April 2011, 03:02 PM
I have recently retired and am interested in converting an HM45 mill to CNC operation. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Pete F
2nd April 2011, 05:15 PM
Great job Rod! I was initially going to get an X3 with the intention of eventually going CNC with it, but finally finished up with a little Hercus (looks like that is too small anyway) ... so it looks like I will now have to buy a second mill to CNC :doh: Was your X2 your first entry into CNC? I wondered whether that may be a way to go; cut one's teeth on something small, then get bigger until it becomes "big enough".

Pete

Dave J
2nd April 2011, 07:46 PM
I have recently retired and am interested in converting an HM45 mill to CNC operation. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Hi,
Head over to CNC zone where you will find dozens of these mills converted over to CNC.
Have you already bought one, the reason I ask is because Titan machinery have a large table model equal to the Industrial hobbies mill in the US for $3000.

Here are the links to the 2 forums you will find them, just look for anything with 45 in the heading.
General Metal Working Machines - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net! (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/general_metal_working_machines/)

Benchtop Machines - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net! (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/)

And the Industrial hobbies forum
Industrial Hobbies (Support forum) - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net! (http://www.cnczone.com/forums/industrial_hobbies_support_forum/)

Bob has also done a brilliant job at documenting his conversion with great pictures
CNCCookbook: IH Mill CNC Home (http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCMillCNCHome.html)
You can get lost for hours in his projects
CNC Cookbook: Projects (http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCProjects.htm)
And his blog which he has been doing for years. At the bottom of the page click on earlier entries.
CNC Cookbook: Blog (http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm)

Dave

Gunnaduit
3rd April 2011, 07:06 PM
Just pointing out this thread has risen from the dead, way back in 2007. But now that its lurching around again, I'd point out that if you're doing CNC on a Sieg X3, why not check out Promica in Melbourne who manufacture a truly great retrofit kit.

charris
6th April 2011, 07:23 PM
New to this but I have a HM45 mill and I would like to convert it to CNC operation. Can anyone point me in the right direction please for costs, suppliers etc

charris
7th April 2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks Dave. Good of you to help me out. And yes, I bought the HM45 a couple of years ago at a Field Day in Toowoomba. Couldn't resist it. The year before that I bought a small metal lathe. Don't go to field days any more. They cost too much. This will probably cost an arm and a leg too but I might learn something useful.

R

Charris