PDA

View Full Version : Big 'ol redgum

dadpad
25th October 2007, 01:46 AM
A big ol red gum about 1.5 m diameter at the base was given the chop for safety reasons.
I wasn't going to waste it.

DJ’s Timber
25th October 2007, 01:55 AM
Nice one dadpad :2tsup:, is the Ecosaw yours?

Wood Borer
25th October 2007, 01:56 AM
Very nice - your mill?

dadpad
25th October 2007, 02:03 AM
Not my Mill blokes, It belongs to Mal Dinning from Rockridge mobile saw mills.

Woodborer, you may have seen the log. Behind Big country garden supplies.

A bloke wanted to buy it for firewood. I wasn't having that!

Wood Borer
25th October 2007, 02:06 AM

I don't get into town any more than I have to, Meg does the shopping - is that the one on Mt Buller Rd?

dadpad
25th October 2007, 02:13 AM
Yup crnr of Crosbies lane, opposite pacific hire.

GWRY
25th October 2007, 06:19 AM
Hi folks, I manage a urban forest green waste facility/mill in the San Francisco area in California USA. Most of what we get in our yard is Blue Gum, Radiata Pine, and Macrocarpa (Monterey Cypress, see avatar). We do get a smattering of other hardwoods, and our tree company division just landed a job with about 60 red gums, up to 40" (1016 mm) diameters. We occasionally get even thicker red gums in as well.

Any advice on how to get the most out of our logs, and the best applications? How much air drying before milling, quartersaw/plainsaw, slab, stickering, kilning, etc?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Bernie

BobL
25th October 2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks for showing us the pics Dadpad, and rescusing the timber from firewood.

dadpad
25th October 2007, 11:21 AM
Hi folks, I manage a urban forest green waste facility/mill in the San Francisco area in California USA. Most of what we get in our yard is Blue Gum, Radiata Pine, and Macrocarpa (Monterey Cypress, see avatar). We do get a smattering of other hardwoods, and our tree company division just landed a job with about 60 red gums, up to 40" (1016 mm) diameters. We occasionally get even thicker red gums in as well.

Any advice on how to get the most out of our logs, and the best applications? How much air drying before milling, quartersaw/plainsaw, slab, stickering, kilning, etc?

Bernie

Go to arbuthnot's web site and ask them for help. They are the pros and they might be able to assist you in setting up an extended supply line for a furniture market.
http://www.arbuthnotsawmills.com.au/furniture.php

BUNTA
25th October 2007, 03:44 PM
Good pics !!
what size boards were they ?
i have never seen a mill like that one ...

dadpad
25th October 2007, 04:46 PM
Mal cut a huge variety of boards and posts. He did a good job selecting what to cut depending on where the faults occurred.

5 inch square strainer posts, 4 inch square posts. A variety of widths of 3.6 long boards mostly at 25 mm thicknesses. A big long 4 inch slab...some sleeper/retaining wall type timber rough posts and firewood from the off cut s lots of stuff. . . Its actually a bit daunting now that it all needs to be stickered and stacked.

But the really good stuff is done.

Walnutty
26th October 2007, 01:38 PM
MUST........stop.........try...to....RESIST.........redgum.........jarah.........:o

To late, I'm licking the monitor screen.....AGAIN!

Beautiful, way to go.:2tsup:

Cheers,

WN-

BobL
26th October 2007, 06:17 PM
MUST........stop.........try...to....RESIST.........redgum.........jarah.........:o

To late, I'm licking the monitor screen.....AGAIN!
-

Ewwwww! - is that what the stuff is coming outta my monitor? please keep ya dustastefull habits in ya personal space. :wink:

Walnutty
27th October 2007, 02:23 AM
......dustastefull habits in ya personal space.........

oak......:U

Cheers,

WN-

BobL
27th October 2007, 10:49 AM
......dustastefull habits in ya personal space.........
oak......:U
Cheers,
WN-

:laughing1::laughing1::laughing1::laughing1::clap::rofl:

Walnutty
27th October 2007, 12:08 PM
I was out on a limb with that one BobL, wasn't sure to go with it, might have been put through a chipper.:U

Cheers,

WN-

Marc
28th October 2007, 07:09 PM
............Any advice on how to get the most out of our logs, and the best applications? How much air drying before milling, quartersaw/plainsaw, slab, stickering, kilning, etc?

Bernie

Try also this site and look for the milling section
http://www.arboristsite.com/
http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Arthur Dyason
4th November 2007, 12:44 PM
Not my Mill blokes, It belongs to Mal Dinning from Rockridge mobile saw mills.

A bloke wanted to buy it for firewood. I wasn't having that!

Same you dont have one of your own.

As your a Woodwork Forum member and you appear to like the Lewisaw/EcoSaw and we manufacture the mills I could have my arm bent to let you have one of our ex-demo mills cheap or a new one minum 20%.

Come up hear can collect and I will give you all training you want (at least to what I know!!!:D )

arthur