PDA

View Full Version : Sharing a workshop in Perth

freo lad
25th October 2007, 05:47 PM
Hi,

I've created some simple designs for some furniture for my house (A/V console, bedside table, coffee table). Initially I was going to find a cabinet maker in Perth to build them for me but finding one that is

a) affordable
b) doesn't have a 3-6 month waiting list
is proving very difficult.

So now I'm wondering whether I can build some of this myself. I don't have a lot of practical woodworking experience but am keen to learn and I think it would be extremely fun and rewarding. Before I go off and buy a lot of tools, I'd like to dip my toe into the water so to speak and see whether I am capable of building these items to a reasonable level of quality.

So I was wondering if there was someone in Perth who has a good workshop with a good selection of tools and who wouldn't mind letting me share the workshop and powertools for a few days or a few evenings? If you'd like to supervise, then that's great because I probably need the supervision. :wink: I don't mind contributing something - money, beer, labour. I'm hoping to build a small bedside table and if it works out, I can then go and equip my workshop and look to continue building.

Alternatively, if someone in Perth would like to build a few items of furniture in their spare time, I'm happy to pay. I'd like to help build them if possible as I'd like to join in the fun too :).

Cheers.

Frank&Earnest
26th October 2007, 10:12 PM
Many people here do it by joining evening "classes" at a woodworking Tafe designed to cater for people who want to do what you want to do.

I would guess that there is probably some similar opportunity in Perth.
Good luck.

BobL
27th October 2007, 12:25 AM
Just to show how difficult this kind of arrangement is . . . .

My shed is very small and fully jam packed with stuff, there is really only room for one person to be in there at any one time. I have half finished projects and tools laying around that I would not want disturbed or put away, and I would worry sick about anyone elses OHS if they were working in my shed. The real headaches start when tools break, who pays or replaces, and were they going to break anyway.

As F&E said, try some night classes, or the www.fremanshed.org

forunna
27th October 2007, 12:39 AM
www.fremantleschooloffinefurniture.com
www.perthwoodschool.com.au
www.tafe.wa.gov.au ,search for furniture in Short Courses

Pops
27th October 2007, 09:05 PM
Hi Freo Lad,

I would recommend the Fremantle School of Fine Furniture. I have been there for a look and have spoken to the people that run it on many an occasion and they are very helpful and very knowledgeable. Just like having a mate with a big shed of wood tools.

You can get expert help and guidance, in tool use, construction and all the other stuff you need to build your projects. As I said, very nice, helpful people. Might be just the place to start your woodworking.

Take a look at the website Forunna has listed, give them a call or drop in to the Shed for a look one Saturday morning, (I think it is open then for those that have booked to use the facility)..

Best of luck.

Pops

freo lad
28th October 2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice and for taking the time to respond.

As everyone has pointed out, it makes much more sense to sign up for a woodworking course so that's what I'm going to do this week. I'm looking forward to it and can't wait to get started. I haven't yet decided which course/venue to sign up for but I'll probably give them a call tomorrow and chat with them.

Cheers and thanks again.