PDA

View Full Version : Bookshelves

Justin
25th October 2003, 04:45 PM
Finally finished, what a relief. This is the biggest cabinet piece I've done so far, and I've learned a lot - mainly what NOT to do next time. Overal dimensions are 2400h x 2400w x 315d, and I built it in three separate sections, 2 @ 750w and 1 at 900w. Carcass is tas oak veneer particleboard, face frames and frame&panel doors are merch grade tas oak.

I thought I'd be lazy and use Wattyl one step stain&finish - big mistake, that stuff is a bastard put on with a brush. 3/4 of the way through the project I got a good HVLP spray system, but too late by then. The crown moulding was finished with thinned one-step out of the gun, I was a lot happier with the evenness of colour. I'm now exploring all the different stains and finishes I can put down with my gun so any recommendations would be much appreciated

At the end of the day this piece is just to fill a need (get the books off the floor and give us some desperately needed space), so I'm not too precious about it's shortcomings. The next one however will be a lot better.

Cheers,

Justin.

ozwinner
25th October 2003, 05:03 PM
Hi Justin
Dont see to many blemishes, next time try Organoil Interior oil with a wax, comes up byyyootyful.
Looks good all the same.
Cheers, Allan :)

R. McCarthy
26th October 2003, 06:11 PM
:confused: You're kidding - where are the shortcomings ??
I know it's only a photo but you should be well and truly satisfied with a job like that.

johna
26th October 2003, 06:21 PM
yep i agree, that is a very nice piece of work...
but i know what you meen by that wattyl stain, tried it a while ago and swore i would never use it again.

Corunetes
27th October 2003, 12:33 AM
Very Nice...............Did you buy a set of plans or did you design it yourself?................

I'm looking to build something similar although probably not quite as tall..................What is an HVLP spray system?.....

waco
27th October 2003, 08:26 AM
HVLP - High Volume Low Pressure
I Think

Corunetes
27th October 2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by waco
HVLP - High Volume Low Pressure
I Think

How does that work?............ AIR?

BigPop
27th October 2003, 12:27 PM
Corunettes,
Yes they still work with air but less pressure.
A HVLP gun is the type that has the paint pot on the top of the gun instead of underneath like the standard ones and use a gravity feed method and hence need less air and less air pressure to operate.

They are also know as a "gravity feed gun".

Hope this explains it for you

Corunetes
27th October 2003, 02:09 PM
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! eye sea!

Geoff Allen
27th October 2003, 02:12 PM
Justin,

It looks great. All you need now if a few books A Polisher's Handbook and perhaps The Luck of the Draw.

seeya

Geoff

Justin
27th October 2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the kind words people. And yes Geoff, I actually have both of those books now....

I designed this myself using a CAD program called Autosketch. I find it really helps to see things in scale, that way you can work out where everything fits, at proportions that are pleasing to the eye.

On the topic of the spraygun, HVLP does stand for High Volume Low Pressure, and as the name implies it uses a lot of air at a low pressure.

A normal spraygun uses, say for example, 10 cfm of air at 60 psi : low volume and high pressure. My HVLP gun uses 110 cfm of air (high volume), but only at around 5 psi (low pressure). To do this it needs a special turbine unit, not a compressor, to supply the air.

The main advantage of HVLP is it's transfer efficiency - a lot more of the material that's shot out actually stays on the workpiece. That means much less overspray, which is pretty much a neccesity for me working in my backyard shed.

You can get HVLP guns in both gravity feed and siphon feed. You can also get a "HVLP conversion gun" which is specially regulated in order to use a compressor as the air source. I've heard these guns are pretty thirsty for air though, so you need a BIG tank on your compressor to keep up with the gun.

There has been some discussion on HVLP on this site, and a google search would also bring up heaps of info. I've still got tons to learn, but so far the results have been very pleasing.

Cheers,

Justin.

sclymer
28th October 2003, 04:15 PM
Justin:

Would you be interested in posting youf bookcase on our site at www.librarydesigns.com? Our site is a labor of love so there are no fees involved.

Let us know.

Thanks,

Scott
[email protected]

Corunetes
28th October 2003, 09:02 PM
Thanx for the info, I'll look into that system although I am happy with the usual spray system involving a compressor and a spray gun that I have only recently started using........ I used 140 years of good grace and karma to get the smallish compressor & assorted gear (i.e. a LOT of assorted gear!) that I have now.....Not game enough to push my luck........

Really like that bookcase though!

soundman
28th October 2003, 10:49 PM
I particularly note the nice stout shelves.

I have seen many book cases with shelves that wont go the distance.

cheers

GeoffS
29th October 2003, 08:39 AM
Great bookshelves - as said just need the books to set them off. Pictures of them will not look out of place in the 'Library' site - mind you, there are some magnificent pictures there - make any booklover/timber-worker go green with envy.
Cheers

Taffy
8th November 2003, 04:59 PM
Very nice, you obviously have a tall room to put this in. I have almost finished my first real attempt at cabinet making, it is an entertainment unit, made in 4 parts out of Hoop ply and Timer facings and doors, I also had trouble with the Wattle stain/varnish I found that it could not be brushed on aver a 2metre length as it was too patchy, I sprayed a Satin finish and as I wanted an antigue look I found that by spraying and then wiping off with a turps rag sanding very lightly after drying and then spraying again I achieved a fairly decent result.

I may post a pic if anyone would be interested, but it does not come near your project.

Enjoy your retirement, It won't be long before I will be doing the same.

Taffy:)

Justin
8th November 2003, 08:28 PM
Retirement, at the ripe old age of 33 ?

I wish !!!!!!

Taffy
9th November 2003, 09:17 PM
Sorry Justin, must have got a bit confused from one of the replies from your posting.

Plenty of time to perfect anything you wish then, half your luck.

Taffy