PDA

View Full Version : Crooks for Knees and Stems

onthebeachalone
27th October 2007, 03:19 PM
That Bloggsy has really got me going with his clinker dinghy. Now I want to do one, though I can't imagine it being as beautifully finished as his. Anyway, I've been reading up about it and decided I would like to use grown crooks for the stem and knees if possible.

I once had a very old kauri-planked, hard-chine 14 foot sailing dinghy that had knees made from grown crooks and they looked just great. Strong too!

I have the good fortune to have a share in a large rural property in NSW with lots of trees and, on my next visit plan to start looking for suitably 'crooked' branches that I might retrieve for the purpose.

I'm not at all expert on timber species. Does anyone have any idea of suitable species for this purpose, and how to recognise them?

If I'm successful in finding them, does anyone else want some?

Cheers

Buzza
29th October 2007, 09:52 PM
When I was a youngster, I remember the old blokes talking about jumping out of a boat into the swamps to retrieve just the right shaped mangrove stumps for similar applications. They did this a kids and were rewarded by way of the boat trip by a well known boat builder in Port Adelaide.

powderpost
29th October 2007, 11:14 PM
Also as a youngster, I remember gathering bent tea tree branches with my father, to make knees for "flatties". These were boats made from two 12 x 1" boards bent to shape, with 4" x 1" solid bottom. The bottom was nailed onto the sides with square twisted copper nails. My job was to keep the potatoe sacks spread on the bottom, wet, to keep the boards tight. The pine used was kauri or hoop pine.
Jim

onthebeachalone
31st October 2007, 09:30 PM
Interesting stories! Now, when I go for my morning walk through our local patch of bush, I am constantly on the lookout for 'crooks'. Surprisingly few around.

I am wondering af anyone has ideas about how much bigger the raw crook must be than the stem or knee. What are the considerations?

I can think of -

basic dimensions
matching the grain to the required bend
avoid sap wood
any others?

Wild Dingo
4th November 2007, 01:55 PM
make a template of the knee and take it with you... find a likely candidate lay your template against it see the way it goes... you will know mate

The template can be made of any light timber ply mdf whatever cut to shape required... you could make the entire thing including the thickness by layering the ply templates together that way you could hold the now full size template to the crook check that way then hold it to the other side check that way... know pretty chop chop if it would be good to go Id think eh?

Well the template is the only way I know to go... so if others have other ways bring em on!!

bloggs1968
5th November 2007, 06:36 AM
Dingo's right on the money with a pattern.

Generally I look for a piece that has the required bend (or approximate)first. Once I have the required bend, I mill the piece up to the required thickness.

If I was doing say quarter knees on a small boat, I would mill up at double the final thickness of the knee plus around 1/2" for dressing. I say double if you are going to split the stock and bookmatch the knees.

Once milled, sand/plane/scrape the surface until you can see the grain direction and lay on your pattern. I try and get as many as I can out of the larger crooks even if the grain is not a 100% match for the curve but is pretty close. Make sure you consider both sides of the slab as it may look great on one side but have a defect on the other.

Sometimes, a larger crook will only yield a single piece due to funky grain but the remainder can be used for all sorts of pieces in the boat like rowlock blocks etc. Piece below is a classic example.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h131/bloggs1968/stempatternoncrook.jpg

I also used solid stock for 1/2 lapped knees where the join is not viewable ( say a stern knee with the join under a thwart) and it is a good utilisation of the resource and just as strong as a grown one.

With larger crooks for stems, consider using a solid piece of the crook for the outer stem and process it to final shape and laminate an inner stem using the outer as a jig. Cut the rabbet on each piece individually then glue/fasten together. This will give you two beautiful outer stems instead of one solid one if you are short on stock.

Cutting larger cooks requires a decent drying time. I also try to cut in cooler months to reduce rapid drying and use some timber grease on the exposed ends/sides to reduce checking.

regards,

AD