PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Books

Woodchuck
26th October 2003, 09:55 AM
Howdy all,

I am jsut starting out & looking at setting up a small shed/workshop to learn/play/relax & make some quality firewood in. Just started woodturning & love it tho looking at having a go at most kinds of woodworking. I'm wondering if theres a good website or book on setting up & adjusting Bandsaws.

Also are these 14 inch Taiwanese bandsaws ok for basic kind of stuff ? One I'm looking at is 350mm work area & I think with the raiser block about 300 high cut 4 speeds & a 1hp (.75kw) motor, the wheels are die cast & balanced also & it's just under $600

Cheers
Woodchuck :c)

Sir Stinkalot
26th October 2003, 12:15 PM
You really cant go past "Bandsaw Basics" Mark & Gene Duginske. Sterling Publishing Co. Inc. New York. ISBN: 0-8069-7210-6.

I picked up a new bandsaw from the Melbourne show a few weeks ago ... the manual was the biggest waste of time ever .... the above book was very easy to follow and offered great advice. I also have a link to a web page that explains tuning .... very similar to the book but I will need to be on the other pc before I can post that one.

The basic 14" bandsaws sound like all you need at this stage :)

Stinky.

ndru
26th October 2003, 12:56 PM
Woodchuck

I strongly recommend The Bandsaw Book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1561582891/qid=1067132216/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_3/102-7779709-6314554?v=glance&n=507846) by Lonnie Bird. Its a clear, modern, comprehensive starting point for understanding bandsaws.

Also, this topic was discussed recently. Search the forum for "bandsaw" and "book".

Regards

macca2
26th October 2003, 05:20 PM
I have just bought and would recommend the "Band Saw Handbook" by Mark Duginske. ISBN 0-8069-6398-0.

It cost me $36.00 and goes through setting up,tuning maintenance,safety and cutting techniques. It also has a section on patterns, templates and jigs for all types of work.

Good value

Macca

kenmil
26th October 2003, 05:25 PM
I have the "Bandsaw Book" by Lonny Bird, and the video "Mastering your Bandsaw" by Mark Duginske. Both these guys know their stuff, and you could not go wrong with either.

IanA
27th October 2003, 01:44 PM
It may be worthwhile looking in your local library. Checking out different books may produce one that suits you, before buying.

I don't know if it works the same in SA but in Vic most libraries are run by municipal councils.
You may find a link on your council's website that lets you search the library catalogue from home.

I found that our library even has some videos, and borrowed one by Richard Raffan on turning boxes. Videos are a really useful medium. Sometimes seing something done is remembered better than something you read.

Sir Stinkalot
27th October 2003, 02:21 PM
Found it ....
Tuning a band saw (http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/i-bndsaw.htm)

Woodchuck
14th December 2003, 08:31 PM
Thanks again all for the great advice, went to the library as you suggested Ian & found found a few books on band saws & band saw art. Found a couple & enjoyed all, really liked the one by Mark Duginske. Very clear & pretty simple to follow. Had no idea was so much to setting up a BS tho, but I like tinkering, it's half the fun :c)

The SO put a basic bandsaw on lay-by for me which I'll get out for xmas or in the new year depending on her spending sprees lol.

& again thanks to all

Cheers
Woodchuck

Woodchuck
14th December 2003, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the Link also Stinky, was a good read & very helpful

bigAl
14th December 2003, 09:55 PM
Hi Woodchuck,

Don't be too intimadated with the amount of set-up, it's like fettling a plane, lot of work to start and simple to maintain thereafter.

All the best,

Al;)

paul.cleary
21st April 2004, 11:50 AM
I recently borrowed a Mark Duginske book on bandsaws from the local library and it was very bad d so I did some research - it turns out there are 3 different books, of varying quality, by Duginske on bandsaws.

The good book is his Bandsaw Handbook first published around 1989ish. It is the book that established his reputation - the easy way to check for this book is that it has around 300 to 315 pages.

The in-between quality book is his Bandsaw Basics which is around 120 pages. It has limited information but it is cheap.

The bad quality book is his "Bandsaws: a Workshop Reference" and this was first published around 1999ish. Why is it bad? First, it only has around 140 to 160 pages and is a cutdown version of his good book. However, the editing is very poor with lots of mistakes (eg a skip tooth blade referred to as a set tooth blade) and gaps (eg references to crosscutting jigs plans that are not in the book). Also, IMHO, they dumbed down the book in order to reduce the number of pages so they dropped lots of content that may look minor but is handy to know. I am not alone in this opinion - see Amazon.com for 2 reader reviews that agree 100% with me as they gave it a 1 * out of 5 rating.

So when you're buying a Mark Duginske bandsaw book take care to make sure you buy the good one.
Cheers
Paul

Dean
21st April 2004, 01:27 PM
There is a review of the Band Saw Handbook by Duginske on my site if you wanted to have a read.

paul.cleary
26th May 2004, 11:33 AM
Hi Dean,
It took me some time but I have read the review of Duginske's big book. I have jbeen given a copy of this book (319 pages) - I would agree with your review that it is the "bandsaw bible". I also have Lonnie Bird's book which is more up to date and better in that regard.
My ratings are:
1. Duginske (319 page) book for the solid detailed basic facts
2. Bird for updates in the bandsaw world since Duginske published his book back in 1990ish.

Avoid other Duginske books of a smaller size like the plague!
Paul