PDA

View Full Version : Gazebo Roof Centre Brackets (steel)

Blocklayer
28th October 2007, 01:46 PM
I've added a roof centre bracket (as in picture) template generator to the gazebo calculator on blocklayer.com.

You enter the number of sides, width of each cleat (or thickness of hip rafters) and the length of each cleat from the edge of the central (hexagon etc) piece, and it will produce an image (to scale) to print, cut out and use as a template to mark it out. The paper isn't large enough to draw the full reach of the cleats, but you should be able to extend them easily enough when marking it out.

It also calculates, from the hip angle and cleat length, how far you need to bend/weld the cleats (fingers) down to get the correct angle.
I don't know how useful it will be, but if you'd have a look and let me know what you reckon I'd appreciate it

There's a link to it off the gazebo calculator page here
<O:phttp://www.blocklayer.com/Gazebo.aspx

Bleedin Thumb
28th October 2007, 02:59 PM
Greg I'm not sure about the strength of that type of bracket. I prefer to have the steel return up the sides of the joist creating a vertical weld between the joist - this stops any possibility of the bracket bending downward.

Of course if the joists all meet at a tight join or join to a central post ( what is that term) then it doesn't matter.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35074&d=1164421962

Blocklayer
28th October 2007, 08:04 PM
Greg I'm not sure about the strength of that type of bracket.

I suppose it would depend on the thickness of the steel?

But if you wanted to add the side bits, you could still start with the template and weld the sides on after you cut (and bend) the bracket?

What about if the bracket goes on the top of the hip rafters, and you have a kingpost protruding from the peak through to below the rafters base, as a sort of feature. Then you wouldn't see the underside of the bracket. You could still add the sides (downwards) for extra strength?

pawnhead
28th October 2007, 08:14 PM
Looks like a good one Blocklayer.

That template would give you all the info you'd need to make a bracket of any sort. :2tsup:

echnidna
28th October 2007, 08:29 PM
That bracket would be quite strong enough as you should butt the rafter ends up tightly to each other.

You could use 2 brackets, 1 underneath and 1 on top but its overkill