PDA

View Full Version : Too much Vegemite/Marmite?

Matt88s
29th October 2007, 02:47 AM
Is it possible to consume to much of the substance? I've been craving it like crazy lately = I've been eating it by the tablespoon. :roll:

I've made a serious dent into my 250g jar.

It's mainly B vitamins right? Which are water soluble? Which means they just run though ya? :;

I assume it fairly harmless, but are there any known side effects of excessive Vegemite/Marmite consumption?

I've never heard of any but then its not very popular over here.

I was just wondering...

Cheers!

jow104
29th October 2007, 03:05 AM
Pregnant females are sometimes
known to get cravings for things like that.:rolleyes:

echnidna
29th October 2007, 06:37 AM
Vegemite is a yeast extract.
Marmite is a beef extract

Never heard of any health issues from either

(As for pregnancy - quick go get a checkup) :D

Matt88s
29th October 2007, 06:53 AM
Vegemite and Marmite are basically the same, both are basically byproducts of the brewing industry, Marmite has a smoother texture though. I used to use Vegemite but for some reason its gotten extremely hard to get over here, so I've converted to Marmite, and found I like it just as well if not better. :C

Bovril is similar to both but is made from beef extract.

I seemed to remember some stink about Vegemite being banned due to excessive Folic acid content or some such thing, but I think that turned out to be urban myth, I don't think you can get too much Folic acid anyway, isn't it just another water soluble B vitamin?

None the less its almost impossible to find around here now.

Well, I suppose I'd better go tell the missus I'm preggers. :C

jow104
29th October 2007, 07:03 AM
Your up early this morning Bob.:)

jmk89
29th October 2007, 09:38 AM
The only other thing to remember is that they both have heaps of salt in them.

RufflyRustic
29th October 2007, 10:04 AM
Hi Matt

Another point, you've been working extremely hard, had some big stresses recently so I'm not surprised you are digging into something as you are, especially something that has lots of Vitamin B.

Obviously, the vegemite/marmite is giving you something your body needs at present, so keep going until you don't want so much of it.

Wierd, but OK as far as I'm concerned.:)

cheers
Wendy

silentC
29th October 2007, 10:09 AM
Guinness has all the Vitamin B you need.

Marmite? Horrible stuff. Too sweet :)

glock40sw
29th October 2007, 10:17 AM
G'day.
I have a Vegemite & Cheese sandwich every day for Smoko.
Even on the weekends.

So far this year, everyone around me has had the dreaded Dogs Disease (Flu). I haven't had it.

A mate in Brisbane takes a Vitamin B Tablet every day & he has not had the Flu either.

So....Miracle Flu Preventative???:2tsup:

Also, My blood pressure seems to be more stable as well.

Mmmmmm.....Love Vegemite...:D

prozac
29th October 2007, 11:09 AM
I don't think it is possible to have too much Vegemite!

Has anyone tried it on the toast under your fried eggs? Mmmmm. This is a good hangover-headache cure too.

prozac

DavidG
29th October 2007, 11:17 AM
Cheese and vegi sandwiches. Yummy.
Love a thick crust and vegi.....:2tsup:

bsrlee
29th October 2007, 08:02 PM
As Jeremy said - its FULL of salt, and possibly sugar under various names. So you may have a health issue - have you been eating a lot of low-sodium health food, or doing a lot of sweaty work/exercise? Food cravings usually point to the body thinking it 'needs' something - salt, sugar, fat, various minerals.

One suggestion - not too serious, but still practical - take a few multi-vitamin pills & wash down with a good boutique beer (not the dreadful mass produced suds). See if that fixed the craving.

Poppa
29th October 2007, 11:27 PM
I used to eat vegemite with a teaspoon as a kid. I still have more of it on toast or a sandwich than anyone I know. I like it thick. Can't stand Marmite. Love vegemite. Sometimes it gives me indigestion a little, but the taste is worth it.

malb
8th November 2007, 09:50 PM
With Vegemite being a yeast extract, people prone to yeast infections such as thrush can find that moderate amounts can set that itch going.

robyn2839
11th November 2007, 10:32 PM
put vegemite in your home brew spirit , works like a charm gets the fermentation thing going to feed the yeast.bob

Matt88s
25th November 2007, 03:40 PM
Well, I've bottomed out for some reason. No longer crave it, in fact can barely taste it anymore, how strange. :roll:

I'll lay off it for a while, it will come back I'm sure. :)

Thanks everyone,
Cheers!

prozac
25th November 2007, 05:48 PM
With Vegemite being a yeast extract, people prone to yeast infections such as thrush can find that moderate amounts can set that itch going.

You're supposed to spread it on bread!

againstthegrain
25th November 2007, 06:36 PM
Sorry, but I didn't know it was possible to eat too much Vegimite...I love the stuff!

...now peanut butter and banana sandwiches may be another story...:D

Matt88s
26th November 2007, 01:32 PM
Sorry, but I didn't know it was possible to eat too much Vegimite...I love the stuff!

...now peanut butter and banana sandwiches may be another story...:D

Is it safe to admit, at the hight of my craving, I made a marmite/banana/peanut butter/jelly sandwich. :o

And it was good too. :U

RufflyRustic
26th November 2007, 01:49 PM
Hi Matt,

No, not unusual at all to hear that you no longer have the craving. Afterall, you took control of your Study Situation and reduced the immense strain and stress it was causing you.:2tsup:
However, as for that sandwich mix :no: :D

cheers
Wendy

artme
28th November 2007, 07:52 AM
Talk about the salt content of vegemite. I had an aunty who would ladel vegemite onto a slice on bread and then sprinkle salt on it!:o

Same aunty used to sprinkle sugar on her salad!:o

80 and still going strong!!:?:?:?

prozac
3rd December 2007, 07:49 PM
Talk about the salt content of vegemite. I had an aunty who would ladel vegemite onto a slice on bread and then sprinkle salt on it!:o

Same aunty used to sprinkle sugar on her salad!:o

80 and still going strong!!:?:?:?

Sounds like a Queenslander.

artme
14th December 2007, 06:04 PM
Prozac, She wasn't but is now out of neccesity.

pawnhead
14th December 2007, 07:17 PM
Where are you getting it from Matt?

Or have they resolved the ban (http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/vegemite.asp) on commercial importation of our axle grease?

Matt88s
14th December 2007, 07:31 PM
Where are you getting it from Matt?

Or have they resolved the ban (http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/vegemite.asp) on commercial importation of our axle grease?

Here. http://www2.kelv.net/img/tul.jpg

http://www.kelv.net/okiebrit/foodanddrink.php (http://www.kelv.net/okiebrit/foodanddrink.php)

I think the ban was an urban myth, although afterwards I did see it disappear from places it had been before, I think they got scared that perhaps they weren't supposed to have it. :roll:

It is rather hard to find over here though.

Gibbo
14th December 2007, 08:15 PM
My father-in-law had crazy cravings for vegemite and bread a few years ago that went on for a fair while. Turned out he had a yeast infection in his stomach which was driving the cravings. He had to go off all yeasty type products for a while but it all came good.

Good to hear your cravings have stopped so this might not be relevant :)

Cheers,
Gibbo.