PDA

View Full Version : Mitre saw

Pete F
29th October 2007, 11:59 AM
I have some flooring to put down and will FINALLY get a SCMS. I'd seen the Metabo with the induction motor while overseas and had basically decided on that. However since seeing it a few more options have come up and I wonder if anyone can help? I drove up to Toolies on Sunday (from Sydney) but they didn't have stock of anything I may have been interested in.

The Metabo's induction motor is nice. The Festool I liked but have yet to see one in the flesh ...oh maybe I shouldn't use that expression when discussing saws! Being able to push the saw against a wall would be a major, MAJOR plus. They did show me a brochure on a new saw, a Hitachi C12LSH (again none in stock) but it had many of the features offered by the Festool.

So, has anyone used that Hitachi and who stocks it in Sydney? Does anyone have the Kapex in stock and have Festool fixed the quality issues? What about the Metabo? I like to play with things before buying so want to at least poke and prod the thing before purchase.

BTW yes something like the 1013 would be fine, but I think some of the newer saws are offering features that really date that type of saw. Would be just fine for this flooring job, but a pain later when back in a fixed position.

Thanks for the advice

Batpig
29th October 2007, 04:00 PM
Dear Pete,

One thing to watch with the Metabo is the depth of cut - only 50mm or so since Induction Motor runs the blade via direct drive (ie. half of the motor's thickness is therefore hanging below the centreline of the blade). Would be enough for flooring, but might be a source of limitation in the future. Otherwise a thing of true beauty...

Normal "Builder-Boy" type screamers use a gearbox that reduces their Universal Motor's speed from 1million-or-so rpm down to about 4500rpm, and gives them more depth of cut and tooth speed into the bargain. But the penalty is two sources of noise - brushes in the motor, and gears...

If you're looking for something with good depth of cut, but maybe not as much noise as a Builder-Boy "Jobby", a good compromise might involve looking at some of the belt-drive units. They will still have the inherent noise that goes with brushes in the motor, but belts instead of gears will give the same depth of cut without as much noise... Bosch, DeWalt, Hitachi, & Metabo all do them, but I can't recommend one over the other because I've never been able to observe them rationally, due to brainlock while drooling, whenever I've walked past one of them...

Good Luck,
Batpig.

Pete F
29th October 2007, 05:56 PM
Oh Cripes, thanks for that! To be honest I hadn't even considered that (too busy going oooww aaahhhh). I'd seen the width was fine but yes now I re-check the specs they say 53mm depth and that would seriously limit the machine in future.

And to think my wife says the time I spend here is a waste of time :U

DJ’s Timber
29th October 2007, 06:31 PM
And to think my wife says the time I spend here is a waste of time :U

:o I think you better wash her mouth out with soap :q:U

bsrlee
29th October 2007, 07:38 PM
I have the Hitachi 305mm with laser & digital angle. I haven't given it a real workout, but so far it goes well, required minimal assembly.

The laser works satisfactorily but you have to turn the angle measurer on to get the laser on, but since both switches are together that is not a hardship. So far I have just been using it to cut 90 degree stuff, so I can't make a judgement on the accuracy/repeatability of angles.

As I'm building a roll around cart with drawers for it, I have been heaving it on & off a fair bit, and for its size it is surprisingly portable & well balanced with 2 handles& an easy access locking pin.

I can't remember offhand whether I got mine from Gasweld or Total Tools - if you go to Granville they are all with 2 blocks, and Parra Power Tools is on the other side of Parramatta Road - and Hare & Forbes is opposite Bunnings at North Parramatta - makes it easy to do comparison shopping. Everyone except H&F stock varying amounts of Hitachi gear.

Pete F
30th October 2007, 09:03 AM
Thanks for that. I believe H&F have a sale from 8th-10th Nov so I will go out that direction then and check the saw out. It's probably between the Hitachi and the Festool now, the reviews I've read from the US on the Hitachi are very variable so would appreciate if you could keep us posted once you have more experience with the machine.

Thanks again