PDA

View Full Version : Square or rectangle

jmk89
29th October 2007, 12:06 PM
My local council allows a 10 sq metre (or less) garden shed to be errected without consent from the Council if it is made from a pre-fab kit and complies with some other requirements.

Stratco make two sheds that I am thinking about: one is 3.3 metres x 3.3 metres and the other is 4.0 metres x 2.4 metres.

Which do you reckon would be more useful to work in - I will want to put in a couple of workbenches, TS, DP and maybe some other machines as time goes by. And It will need to provide some storage too.:D

echnidna
29th October 2007, 12:23 PM
3.3 by 3.3 is over 10 sq metres

jmk89
29th October 2007, 12:31 PM
Sorry - 3.1 x 3.1

RufflyRustic
29th October 2007, 01:03 PM
Any chance of drawing up a quick plan of what you want to put where, walkways and storage?

I personally think a rectangle is easier to use in a small space rather than a square.

cheers
Wendy

Barry_White
29th October 2007, 02:10 PM
Why not put two up, one to work in and one for storage.

Canetoad
29th October 2007, 02:15 PM
Council approval for a shed generally isn't hard to get and unless you are planning on building only dolls house furniture the shed sizes you are talking about will very likely seem very small very quickly. It might be worth mocking up a floor plan on the back lawn just to see how things fit.

echnidna
29th October 2007, 02:51 PM
I'd go for the rectangular.

This will give you a total of 8 metres wall space.
With 600mm bench/tools each side you have 1200mm floor space which is workable.

Height is very important if you can get 2400 to 3000 wall heights you can have a reasonable amount of storage overhead.

David L
29th October 2007, 03:28 PM
A guy in our area put up two individual 3x3 sheds about 3m apart and then aquired another roof and put between them for out door storage. Sitting against a 1.8m paling fence he doesn't have mutch trouble with weather and has 3x9m.

jmk89
29th October 2007, 03:33 PM
Why not put two up, one to work in and one for storage.
The Council isn't that stupid - the exemption is for one shed:D

jmk89
29th October 2007, 03:35 PM
Council approval for a shed generally isn't hard to get and unless you are planning on building only dolls house furniture the shed sizes you are talking about will very likely seem very small very quickly. It might be worth mocking up a floor plan on the back lawn just to see how things fit.
might have to do both - this council is famous (notorious) for being slow on DAs, so the shed may be a good interim measure until the approval comes through.

Make it work
29th October 2007, 04:31 PM
I will want to put in a couple of workbenches, TS, DP and maybe some other machines as time goes by. And It will need to provide some storage too.:D

Square or rectangle, with all this in there there won't be enough room for you to do anything.

It is a PITA if you have to get everything out or move everything around just to do anything.

Also, how high are these pre fab jobs and will they be able to be insulated?

pawnhead
29th October 2007, 10:19 PM
Square or rectangleIt's just a big box, so go for gold (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=55352&highlight=golden+ratio), and keep the Feng shui gods happy.

dennford
29th October 2007, 11:20 PM
Put up the rectangular shed as an interim solution and then apply for permission to build a bigger- better workshop after which your small one becomes a storage area.

Denn

Wild Dingo
30th October 2007, 02:44 AM
My local council allows a 10 sq metre (or less) garden shed to be errected without consent from the Council if it is made from a pre-fab kit and complies with some other requirements.

Stratco make two sheds that I am thinking about: one is 3.3 metres x 3.3 metres and the other is 4.0 metres x 2.4 metres.

Which do you reckon would be more useful to work in - I will want to put in a couple of workbenches, TS, DP and maybe some other machines as time goes by. And It will need to provide some storage too.:D

1) You DO NOT want a garden shed of the sizes your quoting... they believe it or not are for GARDEN TOOLS not workshop tools! hence the word GARDEN before the word shed... you need a SHED or a WORKSHOP shed or a GARAGE shed or a you get the idea?

2) BELIEVE ME!! If not for anything else... believe me this one thing mate... 3.3 x 3.3 AND the 4 x 2.4 are TOO SMALL!!!...

Yes theres maniacs that have them and they do do stuff in them but your wanting to put in a COUPLE of workbenches not one but a COUPLE a Table saw... go on you can say it!! TABLE SAW meaning a TABLE with a SAW IN IT! ergo LARGE take up lotsa room type saw thingy a DP?... AND (at least now you say the majik word MAYBE) some other machines... AND it will NEED to provide storage as well???

I say... GET A GRIP!! And then go get a decent shed!! Look mate just a single garage is better than that you get 6mts x 3 mtrs MINIMUM!! and that will be the best starting place... any smaller and your gonna be driving yourself and everyone else totally insane QUICK SMART!!!

FACT!

1) Your thinking way too small... in for a penny in for a pound go for a single garage
2) Your not going to be able to fart in there by the time you get the couple of work benchs AND the table saw in there... let alone the other machines some timber and then the garden tools which by the way do breed!!
3) If you can only have sheds that small get 2!!! hell put them both up but only apply to have one done but get two up YOU WILL NEED THEM BOTH
4) Get a single garage THEN get a 3 x 3 garden shed!! use the garage for your workshop and the garden shed for... well garden stuff!! or the storage needs... or as a extention on the workshop and store the the storage stuff in the ceiling under the floorboards in the kids room heck does it matter? As long its not in the shed!!

4) If that fails... well your just going to have to move arent you!! :doh:

All the best with it :;

jmk89
30th October 2007, 06:03 AM
It's just a big box, so go for gold (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=55352&highlight=golden+ratio), and keep the Feng shui gods happy.

4x2.4 is pretty close to the GR

Put up the rectangular shed as an interim solution and then apply for permission to build a bigger- better workshop after which your small one becomes a storage area.

Denn

Coming to the same thought

1) You DO NOT want a garden shed of the sizes your quoting... they believe it or not are for GARDEN TOOLS not workshop tools! hence the word GARDEN before the word shed... you need a SHED or a WORKSHOP shed or a GARAGE shed or a you get the idea?
Mate, it's a step up from the last 4 feet of the garage!
2) BELIEVE ME!! If not for anything else... believe me this one thing mate... 3.3 x 3.3 AND the 4 x 2.4 are TOO SMALL!!!...
I know, but I have dealt with this council and some families' kids have grown up, got married had kids and become grandparents before a DA has been approved. Also, some of the locals just love ringing the council to ask if X or Y is compliant - and I need a council inspection like I need a cold water enema administered with a garden hose with the fittings still on!:o

Yes theres maniacs that have them and they do do stuff in them but your wanting to put in a COUPLE of workbenches not one but a COUPLE a Table saw... go on you can say it!! TABLE SAW meaning a TABLE with a SAW IN IT! ergo LARGE take up lotsa room type saw thingy a DP?... AND (at least now you say the majik word MAYBE) some other machines... AND it will NEED to provide storage as well???

I say... GET A GRIP!! And then go get a decent shed!! Look mate just a single garage is better than that you get 6mts x 3 mtrs MINIMUM!! and that will be the best starting place... any smaller and your gonna be driving yourself and everyone else totally insane QUICK SMART!!!

I'll get agoraphobia in such a big place. :? Seriously, I will work on the DA for something bigger along the way, but in the meantime, I want somewhere to work and, remember, this is a huge increase in space for me (like about 40%)

FACT!

1) Your thinking way too small... in for a penny in for a pound go for a single garage
2) Your not going to be able to fart in there by the time you get the couple of work benchs AND the table saw in there... let alone the other machines some timber and then the garden tools which by the way do breed!!
3) If you can only have sheds that small get 2!!! hell put them both up but only apply to have one done but get two up YOU WILL NEED THEM BOTH
4) Get a single garage THEN get a 3 x 3 garden shed!! use the garage for your workshop and the garden shed for... well garden stuff!! or the storage needs... or as a extention on the workshop and store the the storage stuff in the ceiling under the floorboards in the kids room heck does it matter? As long its not in the shed!!

4) If that fails... well your just going to have to move arent you!! :doh:

All the best with it :;

Thanks for all the thoughts

Make it work
30th October 2007, 03:27 PM
Quote JMK89 "and I need a council inspection like I need a cold water enema administered with a garden hose with the fittings still on!:o"

That is so funny... I really did laugh out loud. May I use it?

Look, ultimately you need to consider what you are going to use the shed for, if you are only making small things like kids toys for example then either will be good, but if you are making long or bulky items like a dining table or a church pew then neither will do.
So best thing is plan out how you would set out the workshop and see which best fits the bill, keeping in mind what you are most likely to use it for.

Also, like I said earlier, if you have an option to insulate it, do it, you won't regret it.

munruben
30th October 2007, 05:49 PM
Its not going to be big enough whichever way you go, I would be patient and go for council approval and get the biggest you can get approved I have a large double car garage and its still not large enough. I would dearly love to have a 30ft X 60 ft shed. I think that would keep me happy.

Ronaldo451
2nd November 2007, 11:41 AM
Jeremy, I'd go for the 2.4 x 4 m version as that would give you more usable wall space, but I bet the door is a double opener on the long side rather than the end anyway, so that wastes a fair bit too.

Bigger is always better but I hear what you are saying about anything being an improvement on the impoverished conditions you have to live with at the moment. Perhaps you should treat this as a phased project with the shed being an initial 'pressure valve' to make life a bit easier pending Council approval for the Taj Mahal. Preference would be to locate it so it won't interfere with ( and also possibly enhance?) later works. If you are going to have power going to it get it done properly and make some provision to allow easy take off for later structure.

Your Council LEP lumps in Cabanas and garden sheds in the same category with a 10sq mtr total limit - Sutherland Council however lists cabanas and garden sheds under separate categories of Exempt Development with a 10 sq mtr limit on each structure, but with a 40sq mtr limit on each category. This would have theoretically allowed me to have up to 4 x 10mtr garden sheds and 4 x 10 mtr cabanas - similar to a previous suggestion. Due to landscape ratio requirements I had to go for a Complying Development shed of 40 sq mtrs instead. Still fascinates me how the Council can insist on a minimum grassed area that cannot be watered in the middle of a never ending drought and water shortage!