PDA

View Full Version : Salt and Pepper Mill Mechanisms

MalA
27th October 2003, 01:18 PM
Greetings

Im a new member, so I apologise in advance if this topic has been raised before.

Does any member have any suggestions where to source different sorts of mechanisms for salt and pepper mills.

I have used the "standard" mechanism available from companies like Timbecon, however I am not happy with them (the mechanisms) as they rely on the top handle placing a certain amount of tension on the grinding mechanism to ensure an even grind. This in turn requires a "wood to wood" friction between the handle and the body, which I dont find particularly acceptable.

The other day I saw a mill in a shop (having a stickybeak for ideas as you do!) that had all the parts of the mechanism built into the body of the mill, with the top handle not actually rubbing on the body. Not only that, but there was a facility for altering the coarsness of the grind, depending on preference. It looked like a commercial production type of mechanism, not a "one off", so they must be available somewhere!!!

Any ideas greatfully accepted.

Mal

q9
27th October 2003, 11:58 PM
Hmmm...

I'd like to get my paws on some Peugeot mechanisms if anyone knows where to get them...

gatiep
28th October 2003, 12:13 AM
MalA

Try Mahamagems in Myaree, Perth. They have a peppermill with a handle on top and also a sliding opening for filling up. Your location is not stated so have no idea where u are from

Joe

Have fun......keep turnin

Jean Michel
28th October 2003, 07:52 AM
G'day Mal,

You might have a look at Jacques Coulombe's site in Montréal, he has imported some very nice and apparently quality pepper and salt mechanisms

Link to his web site follows:

Jacques Coulombe (http://www.jacquescoulombe.com)

HTH,
Jean

MalA
28th October 2003, 12:28 PM
Joe

Thanks for the tip, but I cant find that business name that you mentioned. Have you got any contact details by any chance?

Im in WA, but down south in a town called Northcliffe.

Mal

gatiep
28th October 2003, 01:11 PM
Mal

You'll find the phone and address at http://www.mayama-gems.com.au/

Unfortunately the site is not very informative, but Jim told me he is working on it. If you buy in quantities of 10 he usually gives a better price.

Good luck

Joe

Have fun...........................keep turnin

q9
28th October 2003, 01:58 PM
Just for the hell of it I got the exchange rate from a bank - 0.8889.

So to buy a CAD$30 mill will cost AUS$33 (roughly) + postage.

Ben from Vic.
28th October 2003, 03:18 PM
Hello all, here is a very usefull website that does up to date conversions for you.

http://www.xe.net/ucc/full.shtml

gatiep
28th October 2003, 08:19 PM
Mal

I have just been into Carbatec Perth, and they also have the peppermill kit that I was talking about. Handle and filler lid on the top.

Cya,

Joe

Have fun......................keep turnin

andrewh
12th November 2003, 12:18 PM
HI There,

I went through a lot of time tracking down a decent ceramic mechanism a few years ago, as they were very hard to get in Australia at the time.

I tracked down some ceramic mechanisms which you can adjust the grain size from the bottom of the mill... The tension is in no way determined by the top.

They are come from Europe, in the same city as head office of the company for which I work, so I purchased a couple of boxes and got them put in a container my work was bringing out...

They supply the mechanisms into tupperwares new grinders, and are also good for other spices, even coffee.

I bought them for my own, and a few friends use but I can spare some if you are interested... to cover costs I worked out they are $15each for 1-9, or $12each for 10+. They can be used for up to 30cm tall grinders.

- I am not a merchandising company, I just wanted some and had to buy in quantity.

If you wish, I can take a photo of them and send them to you directly.... I couldn't figure out how to add a picture here.

regards
Andrew

MalA
13th November 2003, 11:39 PM
Andrew

do you want to E-mail me with a picture of the mechanism.

That way, we can get something organised.

Regards

Mal