PDA

View Full Version : retaining wall Q. How do you stop backfill during installation?

antisense
30th October 2007, 04:04 PM
G'day all,

I'm planning to install a pillar and post concrete retaining wall system similar to the one here http://twinside.com.au/walls_fences_perth.htm.

I am only retaining around 900mm, however I want to get around 500mm from the existing asbestos fence. What i don't get is how I'm going to stop all the earth falling away from the fence (and consequenctly the fence falling onto me!! ) when I go to dig the 900mm down + 1400mm footings during the installation.

Are there any tips or tricks I could use to help me out?

Thanks a bunch.

Antisense ^_^

munruben
30th October 2007, 04:20 PM
I put up a few of my own retaining walls when I was in sydney and did one at home since I have been up in queensland. You shouldn't have any trouble with the earth crumbling away when you dig, I haven't found that a problem. The earth is pretty much compacted and tends to stay where it is but maybe in some soils it might be a different kettle of fish.

You could brace the fencs to stop it from toppling on you if it is a very high fence but I have never had trouble with the earth falling to that extent. 500mm gives you a fair buffer.

I am sure someone with more experience will be able to help you out on this.
Good luck with the new wall, it looks good on the website.:2tsup:

antisense
31st October 2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the advice,

I'll give it a crack. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a nightmare job :D

Antisense ^_^

Terrian
3rd November 2007, 05:06 PM
dig a hole about 400mm deep, if the sides dont fall in you should be fine for doing your wall, if the sides do fall in you are in for a spot of bother :-)