PDA

View Full Version : Any Microsoft experts out there

Phil Spencer
30th October 2007, 08:33 PM
My laptop will not enter Hibernation. I get the following message:

"System Hibernation Failed:
The drvice driver for the standard 101/102-key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard device is preventing the machine from entering hibernation. Please close all applications and try again. If the problen persists, ypu may need to update the driver."

The operating system is Windows XP version 2002 Home Edition service pack 2

I contacted Mocrosoft but they are not much help.

Any one have any ideas on how I can fix the problem?

Phil

Ron Dunn
30th October 2007, 08:44 PM
Phil, not sure if I'm an "expert", but I do work for the company.

A couple of questions:

(1) Are you using an external keyboard, or do you have any other peripherals plugged into the computer?

(2) Has Hibernation ever worked?

Once I have the answers to these questions, I'll go a little deeper into the diagnosis.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th October 2007, 08:56 PM
:crash:

Phil Spencer
30th October 2007, 08:57 PM
Phil, not sure if I'm an "expert", but I do work for the company.

A couple of questions:

(1) Are you using an external keyboard, or do you have any other peripherals plugged into the computer?

(2) Has Hibernation ever worked?

Once I have the answers to these questions, I'll go a little deeper into the diagnosis.

G'day Ron

Answer to question No1 I am using the Laptop Keyboard and there are no other peripherals pluged in.

Answer to question No 2 yes it did work once.

Phil

Phil Spencer
30th October 2007, 08:59 PM
:crash:

Not a bad idea Skew, I use it in the car suppose I could give it the drop test at 100k :oo:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th October 2007, 09:09 PM
I had the same problem - everything worked fine on my laptop until a recent damned M$ update when it came up with the same msg as yours after I'd finished the session. I later noticed that I'd also lost the use of the touchpad, although that didn't really worry me as I use a dongled USB mouse anyway.

I tried rolling back the update, but was presented with another one of those marvellously uninformative error msgs that more or less meant "No can do. Suffer!" :~

I reformatted and re-installed... and even dared to run the same updates but 'tis still working fine. [fingers Xed] I'm guessing the first time an update failed partway through and left the OS in a more half-arsed state than usual.

Ron Dunn
30th October 2007, 09:13 PM
Try this:

1. Right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop.
2. Click the Properties menu option.
3. Click the Hardware tab.
4. Click the Device Manager button.
5. Click the cross next to the word Keyboards.
6. Right click the keyboard name
7. Click Uninstall
8. Follow the prompts to confirm the uninstall, and to restart the system.

When your system restarts it will automatically re-install the default keyboard driver.

Did that fix the problem?

Let me know if this doesn't fix it. I've got a couple of spare "get out of jail free" cards from the Help Desk, and I'll contact you with the relevant number so you get some premium support.

Phil Spencer
30th October 2007, 09:29 PM
Try this:

1. Right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop.
2. Click the Properties menu option.
3. Click the Hardware tab.
4. Click the Device Manager button.
5. Click the cross next to the word Keyboards.
6. Right click the keyboard name
7. Click Uninstall
8. Follow the prompts to confirm the uninstall, and to restart the system.

When your system restarts it will automatically re-install the default keyboard driver.

Did that fix the problem?

Let me know if this doesn't fix it. I've got a couple of spare "get out of jail free" cards from the Help Desk, and I'll contact you with the relevant number so you get some premium support.

Hi Ron

Tried that still get the same message, it goes into hibernation for a split second then tha wall paper comes back with the same message

Phil

Ron Dunn
30th October 2007, 09:35 PM
OK, the Help Desk cards are on my desk at work. I'll PM you tomorrow with the telephone number and PIN.

Phil Spencer
30th October 2007, 09:37 PM
OK, the Help Desk cards are on my desk at work. I'll PM you tomorrow with the telephone number and PIN.

Thanks Ron :)

Ron Dunn
30th October 2007, 09:56 PM
Phil, this bugged me a bit, so I did some searching in our knowledge base ... does the case in the following articles ring any bells?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814149
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257199

If you're comfortable with it (and it sounds like you are), look for an installation of Adobe Type Manager and remove it if found.

Any luck?

Milar
30th October 2007, 11:14 PM
I second the Adobe Type Manager being the issue. Had the same issue a few years back and that was the problem (from memory)

Good Luck!

Phil Spencer
31st October 2007, 07:19 AM
Phil, this bugged me a bit, so I did some searching in our knowledge base ... does the case in the following articles ring any bells?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814149
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257199

If you're comfortable with it (and it sounds like you are), look for an installation of Adobe Type Manager and remove it if found.

Any luck?

Hi Ron
That worked.

To get it out of hibernation I have to press the on/off switch using the keyboard keys doesn’t work is that normal?

Do I need to load a later version of Adobe type manager, I use adobe porfessional version 6 for work?

Phil

Phil Spencer
31st October 2007, 07:59 AM
Hi Ron
That worked.

To get it out of hibernation I have to press the on/off switch using the keyboard keys doesn’t work is that normal?

Do I need to load a later version of Adobe type manager, I use adobe porfessional version 6 for work?

Phil

Marvelous isn't it I read the instruction book and when the little bugger is in hibernate I have to use the on/off switch to start it up again.

Goes to show if in doubt read the instructions.

Thanks again for all your help Ron.

Regards

Phil