PDA

View Full Version : A Few More Turnings

Little Festo
31st October 2007, 11:53 PM
Getting ready for my first exhibition this week-end. Here are a few pieces.

Peter

ss_11000
1st November 2007, 12:10 AM
Impressive - even by your high standards:2tsup:

good luck in your exhibition:cool:

TTIT
1st November 2007, 12:26 AM
Inspirational! Stunning work Peter - I'm sure the exhibition will be successful with pieces like that :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
1st November 2007, 12:30 AM
Awesome stuff :2tsup:

rodent
1st November 2007, 01:58 AM
What can one say but Damn Good ! ( oh well back to the drawing board ) they are impressive pieces . well done ,I hope you do well :2tsup:.

orraloon
1st November 2007, 07:41 AM
Nice work

Christopha
1st November 2007, 07:52 AM
Not game to put 'em in the critique thread so we can complain about the lumpy finish, sanding gouges and lack of design ??? HUH??

Seriously, VERY nice work, all the best with your exhibition, I hope it goes well.

Harry72
1st November 2007, 08:01 AM
One word to describe.... Wow!

Hardenfast
1st November 2007, 08:35 AM
I look at these with a sense of inadequacy Peter. The lathe work is superb, and I can see myself perhaps reaching this standard with suitable practice and diligence.

The carving works, however, are completely daunting. General wood carving tends to be somewhat forgiving of form and set-out, but your works combine the disciplines of precise mathematical setout, high level lathe work & router work, and precision carving for uniform finish. How much is router work and how much hand work?

I've probably asked before, but is there a chance of a few pics of your router and carving techniques? Also, what is the timber in the last photo - the splayed & fluted piece? Stunning piece.... I might buy it from you pre-exhibition.... How much is something like that? PM me if you like.

In any case good luck with the exhibition. I predict great success.

Wayne

Little Festo
1st November 2007, 08:57 AM
[quote=Hardenfast;616283]I look at these with a sense of inadequacy Peter. The lathe work is superb, and I can see myself perhaps reaching this standard with suitable practice and diligence.

The carving works, however, are completely daunting. General wood carving tends to be somewhat forgiving of form and set-out, but your works combine the disciplines of precise mathematical setout, high level lathe work & router work, and precision carving for uniform finish. How much is router work and how much hand work?

Hello Wayne

Thanks for your encouragement Wayne but I still need a lot of improving in my technique, I think that the photos possible look a bit better than the pieces. You are right, all it takes is a bit of practice, some attention to detail and a lot of spare time. When working on the carved pieces I was continually going back over then fixing various faults and it seemed to take forever. Will contact you early next week re that timber - spaulted Jacaranda, I have a spare chunk.

Peter

RufflyRustic
1st November 2007, 09:31 AM
Hi Peter,

Your work is Very Very Eye-Catching, and if lucky enough to be seen in person, Hand-catching as well!!

The Spalted Jacaranda work is incredibly striking! The lip work gives it that lighter/thinner/finer touch, that the timber is thinner than it really is!

Beautiful, just so achingly Beautiful!!! :2tsup:

cheers
Wendy

wheelinround
1st November 2007, 09:45 AM
Peter I have seen displays of woodwork in the National Art Gallery and these are worthy of such a display.

:2tsup::2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
1st November 2007, 10:17 AM
Great work Peter :2tsup:
Best of luck with your exhibition.

Allan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

ptc
1st November 2007, 10:43 AM
hope your exhibition gets the recognition it deserves.
as always master pieces.

Stu in Tokyo
1st November 2007, 04:44 PM
Holy cow Peter, those are so nice, and really great to look at and get inspired from.

I'll go and have a look through your threads, to see how you do the carving, I think that is something I'll like to add to my abilities.

Cheers!

BernieP
1st November 2007, 07:00 PM
G'Day Peter

Good luck with your expo, and thanks for sharing your magnificent work with us.

Cheers
Bernie

MY TURN
2nd November 2007, 02:00 PM
I think everything has been said.
I personnally think you are inspirational in combining turns and craving. This is also my goal in a few years, so keep making that the bar higher.

MT

Caveman
2nd November 2007, 08:23 PM
I think everything has been said.

Agree - :2tsup:Beaut pieces as usual.

Have loads of jacaranda over here and was wondering if you induce the spalting or does it seem to manage pretty well by itself?

joe greiner
2nd November 2007, 11:21 PM
Definitely museum quality. Best of luck with the expo.

Joe

Little Festo
3rd November 2007, 08:11 PM
just a short note, the expo opening went really well, sold 4 pieces so that's not too bad, also people said some nice things about the work.

Thanks for all of the comments, nice to hear all the positive encouragement. I will get back to a few of the posts that I need to answer tomorrow, feeling a bit tired today, relieved that it went as well as it did.

Peter

Sir Stinkalot
3rd November 2007, 08:26 PM
Stunning ......

Those peices are heading towards the pinnacle of woodworking :)

dai sensei
4th November 2007, 09:57 AM
..also people said some nice things about the work..

I can't imagine anyone saying anything else, beautiful work as usual Peter. I love seeing your work as it gives me lots of ideas and the forms are always appealing to my eye.