PDA

View Full Version : silk painting

Meggles
1st November 2007, 08:37 AM
just curious if anyone does silk painting?

i did it in high school an am thinking of starting to do it again.

Meggles
1st November 2007, 03:28 PM
here's an example of what i would like to do. they look great framed.

echnidna
1st November 2007, 03:37 PM
If no one here is interested do a google search for "silk painting" forums or "silk painting" groups.

You'll find a lot of info

wheelinround
1st November 2007, 06:08 PM
Meggles LOML is checking it in awe did you do that??

Have you got it LOML wandering how big it is (30cmx40cm at a guess)

She has ideas of how its done but could be wrong all one piece while I thought pieced together dyed individually

Ray

echnidna
1st November 2007, 06:21 PM
The lady I saw doing it used a resist pen to outline things then put a touch of dye inside each shape and it just spread out to the resist borders.

Fascinating to watch her do it

wheelinround
1st November 2007, 06:44 PM
The lady I saw doing it used a resist pen to outline things then put a touch of dye inside each shape and it just spread out to the resist borders.

Fascinating to watch her do it

Thats what LOML said echnidna

So Meggle's there's a project make your silk painting screen farm to stretch it out on

:B oooppps shyte thats a job i have to do for her yet

woodcutta
1st November 2007, 10:01 PM
Meggles

Try Wetcanvas.com

woodcutta

Meggles
2nd November 2007, 11:00 AM
cheers, i didn't do that, not yet anyway. basically you stretch the silk onto a frame and pencil in your design, or if you have a light box (which i am making) you can just put your design on that and look through the silk while you put on the resist (or gutta as it's called) and then paint in the colours. if you go too close to the resist it will go over/ under the resist though so you have to be careful.

the ocean is done by placing rock salt on the ink or paint and the rock salt sucks it up. lots of fun. most popular are ocean, forest and flowers. my family already has most of what they want so for christmas i will do them each a silf painting. My art teacher in qld actually sells all hers to galleries and at the markets, you can buy them on ebay too.