PDA

View Full Version : 1st two + 1

wheelinround
1st November 2007, 06:01 PM
Its taken me some time to do these confidence is part of it a lathe that will work till I finish is the other.
The lathe didn't miss a beat :2tsup: my heart a couple of times :rolleyes: got to remember to breath in out in out.

Getting me and the tool in sinc as well as doing the face turning from the stool :B:; I did it not perfect I know.

These were scrap pine I have had for a while I squared to pieces approx 4" x 1 1/2" decided to bevel the edges these are not complete 1st coat Estapol

the larger bowl is approx 8"dia

I purchased 2 Rose Wood Blanks 2 yrs ago at WWS Sydney they are still siting waiting so these were practice runs I guess.

Ray

BernieP
1st November 2007, 06:53 PM
G'Day Ray

Bet the first one gave you some moments! Pine is not my favorite wood to turn, but always good to practice on. Like the middle one, would look nice with big apple pie sitting in it, yum.
Now look forward to seeing you do the rosewood.

Cheers
Bernie

wheelinround
1st November 2007, 07:03 PM
G'Day Ray

Bet the first one gave you some moments! Pine is not my favorite wood to turn, but always good to practice on. Like the middle one, would look nice with big apple pie sitting in it, yum.
Now look forward to seeing you do the rosewood.

Cheers
Bernie

Thanks Burnie there are two like the first one and your right keeping mindfull of those corners and when I decided to shape them slightly I was waiting for the tool to be snatched out of my hands or a chunk com flying off.

Then when I got down to the eye on that one it started to move so I had to use epoxy to set it and a couple on the other one as well put them back in the chuck and go again once it dried.

Think I should do a couple more to practice first.

woodwork wally
1st November 2007, 08:49 PM
Hang in there Ray I still havn't plucked up the courage to to the "squareby" trick They say its practice but I'm pussled how I can turn something micky mouse today and the same thing will be total crap tomorrow especially using pinus "crapiarta " What you have there looks pretty well ok to me Dont let the woodworms get into the pretty timber Better to use ir and enjoy All best wishes Wal

wheelinround
2nd November 2007, 07:57 AM
Hang in there Ray I still havn't plucked up the courage to to the "squareby" trick They say its practice but I'm pussled how I can turn something micky mouse today and the same thing will be total crap tomorrow especially using pinus "crapiarta " What you have there looks pretty well ok to me Dont let the woodworms get into the pretty timber Better to use ir and enjoy All best wishes Wal

Thanks Wal

I can e the same good one day better the next and shyte the day after

Not sure what you mean to use ir

Ray

Pat
2nd November 2007, 08:55 AM
Ray, I think Wal means "use it" not "use ir", just a Typo. The bowls are looking good. Wish I had thought of using softwoods to practice on:) insted of the Coolibah burl.

TTIT
2nd November 2007, 09:26 AM
Good start Wheelin' - now lets see some flowing curves on the next run :2tsup:

..........Wish I had thought of using softwoods to practice on:) insted of the Coolibah burl.Yeeeeccchhh! Couldn't think of anything worse to kick off on - it's a wonder you didn't give up before you started Pat :o.

wheelinround
2nd November 2007, 10:08 AM
I am going to have to change the grinder wheel before doing anything else and a better set of HSS tools for the rose wood i think would be in order. Chrissy is close

TY for the inputs

Now if it wasn't raining thunder lightning I'd be out sorting out what to do next

Wild Dingo
2nd November 2007, 01:32 PM
Hang in the Wheelin me ol cobber... if your lucky it just gets better and easier :2tsup: ...if not your gonna need some new jocks!! :U :U

me well me missus has gots a line on lots of cheep jocks so Im right :;

they look pretty cool to my jaded ol blinkin bifocaled jaundiced eye sockets no wuckers mate :2tsup:

killerbeast
2nd November 2007, 04:58 PM
Looks wery nice. i have been using pine for just making shavings, but looks like i have to try making usefull things out of it. Pine is very easy and cheap to come by here i Denmark.

Pic of my first bowl made from Prunus Padus i think its Birds Cherry (hæg in danish) . .
http://www.killerbeast.dk/wordpress/pictures/woodturning/bowl1/Bowl1-2.jpg

i know the picture is bad overlighted but its what i have right now :-)
will take pictures of the other things i have been trying to make

Rasmus - sorry about the horrible spelling....

wheelinround
3rd November 2007, 08:44 AM
Welcome Rasmus

Thanks Rasmus for your comment yes Pine is also cheap here but can be made into some beautifull works.

I think of it as the wood when you haven't got real wood (Oak Cedar etc) often forgetting the many varieties of Pine, I love Huon Pine and a couple of others.

That was from the side of a water bed base it got used for various things over 3 years.
Base for a small DVD/CD cabinet for future son inlaw, a base for a swift I have one piece for another swift.

Your bowl is a nice shape I am intriuged by the darker ring around the top

interesting bottle behind with the oil and grass/wheat and wick in it could you explain.

Spelling is ok many of us a much worse and besides we might learn from you also I don't know Danish.

Ray

killerbeast
3rd November 2007, 04:30 PM
Welcome Rasmus

Your bowl is a nice shape I am intriuged by the darker ring around the top

interesting bottle behind with the oil and grass/wheat and wick in it could you explain.

Spelling is ok many of us a much worse and besides we might learn from you also I don't know Danish.

Ray

The dark ring is made with slight friction. Actually made using shavings. I used shavings for finishing the polishing, af made the rim by using i tight ball of shavings pressed against the running edge. i gives a nice effect marking the transition from edge to bowl.

Its an oil lamp made from an old bottle and with autum colors. the oli keeps them from rotting. and its decorative :-)

Well anything you want to know in danish im your man...

Rasmus

http://www.killerbeast.dk/wordpress - In danish but pictures are international :-)