PDA

View Full Version : Bowl save

scooter
2nd November 2007, 10:57 PM
Gday

Got this chunk of I dunno what from David (Calm) at our BBQ a few weeks ago. Checks & splits everywhere :C , wasnt sure what I'd get out of it.

Anyway, nothing ventured nothing gained. Turned it over a few sessions, enclosed in a plastic bag in between.

Got nearly finished cutting the inside when... bang...lost a chunk. Grrr. Anyway, took off all the sharp edges & smoothed the curves of the "unexpected design feature". Whole thing was pretty unstable by now so I gave up on trying to scrape the inside & started powersanding. Through the grits, then gave it a decent coat of BLO.

'Tis what the bride calls "rustic". Happy with the outside shape & finish, but the instability meant I had to quit the inside while I still had something to show for the effort, so plenty of toolmarks, & the inside line isn't real flash.

About 8-9" in dia, 6" high & wall thickness about 3/8".

Brought it inside to show & daughter no. 2's eyes light up & "Wow, Dad, that's AWESOME! "

Made her dad feel pretty good.:)

Cheers...................Sean

DJ’s Timber
2nd November 2007, 11:26 PM
Nice save Sean, I remember that piece and I reckon you've got a bit of yellowbox there

joe greiner
2nd November 2007, 11:38 PM
Well, of course: a pouring spout so the jelly beans don't scatter all over the place. Nicely done.

Is there something special about the bottom? The dark spot in pic 1 looks like it could be a notch (of several?) to assist stability. Or could be just an optical delusion.

Joe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd November 2007, 11:41 PM
Personally, I think that the fault saved it from being "just another bowl"... no criticism intended, after all you haven't said whether it'd been intended as a show piece, a user for the kitchen or just a play with your new tools.

As it is, I think I'll agree with your daughter. Isn't it nice when things go wrong in a good way? :wink:

Caveman
2nd November 2007, 11:56 PM
Nice one Sean!
Came out pretty good - adds to the 'rusticness'.

rsser
3rd November 2007, 06:03 AM
With the goblet Sean you got jagged all round. You're slipping :wink:

So what's the post-mortem? Flex plus trailing edge of crack meet tool edge? Cutting or scraping?

Calm
3rd November 2007, 07:05 PM
Sean

i wondered if you would get anything out of that.

Dont worry i will attempt to find you a better peice for next time we catch up.

scooter
4th November 2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the noice words. :)

yellowbox Thanks DJ, I was wondering.

Is there something special about the bottom? The dark spot in pic 1 looks like it could be a notch (of several?) to assist stability. Or could be just an optical delusion.

Or could be a small chipout when it pulled out of the chuck... :wink::D

So what's the post-mortem? Flex plus trailing edge of crack meet tool edge? Cutting or scraping?

Was scraping I think, Ern. Must have caught the edge of a crack &, well, you know the rest. :)

Dont worry i will attempt to find you a better peice for next time we catch up.

Free wood is always welcome, David :D

Cheers all...............Sean

BernieP
4th November 2007, 01:52 PM
G'Day Scooter

You know me always like new ideas and I like that thanks for sharing

Cheers
Bernie

woodwork wally
5th November 2007, 09:11 PM
Hi sean I reckon you could claim a "natural edge" on this one :2tsup:I mean you couldn't contrive that style . by the way did the heart have teeth marks on it after you heard the piece let go .:o Anyway a good recovery all the best Wally

OGYT
6th November 2007, 11:41 AM
I'm with your daughter on this one. Nice, in spite of the design feature... or because of it, that is. :)

Calm
6th November 2007, 12:43 PM
Sean

I had another peice of wood the same (other half of the block) and tried it last night. The same thing happened.

I finished the outside first while it was on a face plate and gripped it by the bottom with the chuck. Had it down to about 1/2 inch thick and the cracks were opening faster that i could finish it. In the end it cracked right beside the chuck so i bravely took it off and threw it in the wood box before it bounced off my head.

Maybe that is justice for "aquiring" it from a woodpile in the first place.

scooter
6th November 2007, 10:47 PM
. :D Revenge of the yellowbox, David :D

Ah well, it's all practice mate. :)