PDA

View Full Version : Free to a good home.

Howdya do that
5th November 2007, 09:03 AM
Japanese water stones (Yes you can have them).

Last weekend I put together the scary sharp sharpening board that was in Aust Woodsmith issue #56. This coupled with a Veritas MKII honing guide and Derek's texta trick was a revelation. It took about 15 minutes each to get my yellow handled Stanley's sharper than they have ever been and about three minutes to get a lie Neilsen splitting hairs.
Only downfall is trying to wash the black crap (I think from the paper) off your hands.

A question for those already using this method, Have you found any particular paper that is better than others?

wheelinround
5th November 2007, 09:13 AM
:D HOW FAR WEST HDT.

:rolleyes:

RufflyRustic
5th November 2007, 09:34 AM
Are you serious!!! :oo::?

If so, Yes Please!

cheers
Wendy

Pops
5th November 2007, 11:20 AM
Hi HDT,

Yes, a little knowledge can turn a chore into a pleasure. Onya !!

I discovered Wet and Dry sandpaper sharpening, (what is now called Scary Sharp) many years ago through my own trials and errors, in an effort to save time. Getting a quick sharp edge put a smile on my face too.

Happy woodworking :)

Cheers
Pops

kman-oz
5th November 2007, 01:08 PM
Sounds like a step backwards to me, I went the other way, I only use W&D for flattening my stones now. Each to their own, I'm sure someone will make good use of them.

RufflyRustic
5th November 2007, 03:55 PM
..... Each to their own, I'm sure someone will make good use of them.

Oh Believe Me I Will ! :):2tsup:

Cheers
Wendy

wheelinround
5th November 2007, 06:47 PM
Oh Believe Me I Will ! :):2tsup:

Cheers
Wendy

:( Did you get them :o RR due to your sore foot :D sympathy vote was it:p.

Now how can you use them your an invalid, disabled can't get out to the shed

HDT just send them here I'll pay for postage and they will be put to good use.:D

Woodlee
5th November 2007, 08:03 PM

Last weekend I put together the scary sharp sharpening board that was in Aust Woodsmith issue #56. This coupled with a Veritas MKII honing guide and Derek's texta trick was a revelation. It took about 15 minutes each to get my yellow handled Stanley's sharper than they have ever been and about three minutes to get a lie Neilsen splitting hairs.
Only downfall is trying to wash the black crap (I think from the paper) off your hands.

A question for those already using this method, Have you found any particular paper that is better than others?

I use Norton abrasives paper and a 40/60mix of kero and engine oil
The only time I use a stone is to get any nicks out of a cutting edge .
I have two Norton double sided stones which I use for this work .
Generally I start at 400 and work up to 1200 ,depending how bad the blade is and finish with crocus cloth (dry ) to get a mirror finish.I try not to let the cutting edge get too dull and just touch up on the finer grits.
I have a slab of marble I got from a stone mason which I use for a base,I just spray with contact hobby adhesive and stick the paper to it.The slab is long enough to stick a 1/3 piece of each grit to it .

Kev.

martink
5th November 2007, 11:06 PM

If the offer of the water stones is still on then let me know - perhaps you should have a lucky draw!

I've tried the paper trick heaps of times and could never get it to work :( Congrats on finding the magic trick!

Ciao,

M.

martink
5th November 2007, 11:07 PM
:D HOW FAR WEST HDT.

:rolleyes:

West Oz I guess:)

Ciao,

M.

macaroni
11th November 2007, 06:10 PM
oh god. i'll pay for postage. i'm really broke and i need them real bad.
u could hav a lucky draw like the others suggested.

wheelinround
12th November 2007, 07:52 AM
I think you'll find RR has scored them already she ot the sympathy vote due to sprained ankle :p and being so cute in her red suit

Sebastiaan56
15th November 2007, 12:24 PM
I've tried the paper trick heaps of times and could never get it to work :( Congrats on finding the magic trick!

Ciao,

M.

I found the trick is to keep the angle really stable. I bought roller thingamajingy from Carba Tec for $15. Made all the difference. Dont overdo the water and make sure you polish out all the prevous grit's marks. Once tools are sharp they are easy to keep that way.

Sebastiaan

clogger
23rd November 2007, 09:06 AM
With regards dirty hands when sharpening, try wearing surgical gloves, they work a treat for a variety of jobs.