PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated Incra Table

sbolton
6th November 2007, 04:56 AM
I am convinced that my router plate and it's insert are causing me problems with my Incra Ultra Lite. It simply is not flat enough for the kind of work the incra does.

I am going to build a dedicated table without an insert. Question is whether I will have enough bit showing to rout the dovetails. My table will be about 1 1/4 inch thick. Router will be 690 or 890 series.

1. Anyone think I cant get the bit to extend as far as I need it?

2. Use the 690 or the 890?

3. I could make a hole so the router was closer to the surface, but would prefer not to.

Hope my questions are understood.

Thanks

sb

Greg Q
6th November 2007, 08:19 AM
No, I don't think you'll get nearly the bit protrusion* that you'll need. My aluminum plate is 3/8ths thick, got it from Woodpeckers. I have had no problems with it, even with a heavy router mounted.

*One possible fix might be to use one of those collet extension devices. A friend has one but feels that induces more vibration at the bit.

We don't get P-C routers down here anymore, so I can't comment on the 690 directly, but you should be able to measure it and see how far the collet sticks out of the base. I think that anything but a straight bit will be unusable with your proposal.

Greg

Big Shed
6th November 2007, 08:23 AM
I am convinced that my router plate and it's insert are causing me problems with my Incra Ultra Lite. It simply is not flat enough for the kind of work the incra does.

I am going to build a dedicated table without an insert. Question is whether I will have enough bit showing to rout the dovetails. My table will be about 1 1/4 inch thick. Router will be 690 or 890 series.

1. Anyone think I cant get the bit to extend as far as I need it?

2. Use the 690 or the 890?

3. I could make a hole so the router was closer to the surface, but would prefer not to.

Hope my questions are understood.

Thanks

sb

sb, what sort of problems are you experiencing with your current setup? What router plate are you using?

I use a Woodpeckers phenolic router plate and have just made 12 dovetailed drawers without any problems, using the DOVJ template.

See picture.

I addition to this, the Incra video shows them using an aluminium router plate. So I would be surprised if it was the plate. Maybe it is the way the plate is mounted in the table? Not level perhaps. If you could show some pictures it might be easier to comment.

Can't comment on the 2 routers, PC routers are no longer sold in Oz. As to a 30mm thick router top, there won't be too many router bits that are long enough to handle that thickness, you may have to look at an extension bit (not a great fan of them).

Honorary Bloke
6th November 2007, 08:58 AM
I think you'll be better served getting a new, quality, flat insert. Then, if the insert hole is a bit dodgy, put some leveling screws up from the bottom which will allow you to adjust the insert plate until it is dead flat with the surface of your table. I don't think you'll be happy with the limitations of bit length the other solution will impose.:)