PDA

View Full Version : Non Stick Pans

Christopha
6th November 2007, 04:38 PM
I have a small Scanpan which is grotty. "She" recently let me have it back and it is grubby with apparently cooked on oil. How the hell do I get this thing clean???

ss_11000
6th November 2007, 04:45 PM
throw it out and by a new one:?

Ashore
6th November 2007, 04:57 PM
throw it out and by a new one:?
Check the price of a new scanpan stirlo $ 100 +++

Chris you can clean them with steel wool and elbow grease , they are guranteed not to scratch with steel wool , or stainless for that matter. But before you start get it as hot as you can on the stove and dunk it in cold water this will losten most of it ( this is the method scanpan recomend) , when all else fails fill to the brim with water and add a good amount of dishwasher powder/liquid and leave 12 hours then try the steel wool again

Rgds

wheelinround
6th November 2007, 04:58 PM
Christopha is this an alliminium based pan thick/heavy

I have been looking for one of these to use have an idea :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No stick pans are ok if you dont use metal implements.

watson
6th November 2007, 05:01 PM
Nah!
Get a Scotch fillet...marinate for two hours (turning) it in the following mixture:

2 Tablespoons Really thick Kejap Manis (ABC from Indonesia is good)
2 Tablespoons Nuoc Mam
1 Tablespoon Superior Light Soy Sauce.

Heat the pan to outrageous
add 1 tablespoon Peanut Oil

Cook the steak for 2 Minutes without touching.
Turn....add some of the marinade......and cook the other side for 1 minute.
Remove and rest for 2 minutes in the remaining marinade.
Meanwhile, add 1 cup of water to the pan then turn the heat off.

Three things:
1. It will be a great steak.
2. It will have added so much crud to the pan you won't worry about the oil stains.
3. You will have created the ideal steak cooking pan.

Ernie47
6th November 2007, 05:05 PM
Christopha, have a look at Scanpan FAQ's at scanpancookware.com.
Just for those who haven't come across Scanpan, they are not your usual teflon coated cr@p non stick stuff.
Just to clarify, they don't use teflon. From the bad press teflon has received of late, I don't think anyone else will be for much longer either..
Ernie.

Ashore
6th November 2007, 05:07 PM
No stick pans are ok if you dont use metal implements.
Wheelin scanpans you can use metal implements in fact when you buy one they come with a steel wool pad in the packing for cleaning, thats why they are so bloody expensive, but very good stuff:2tsup:

chrisb691
6th November 2007, 05:13 PM
Half fill it with salt, and bank it up the sides. Put it on the stove, and get it as hot as you can.

wheelinround
6th November 2007, 05:14 PM
Cast pans or wok's mainly used all seasoned in this house

just checked out the web site not bad gear hope its not a stainless you have.

Caustic soda just remember to rinse well

ss_11000
6th November 2007, 05:42 PM
Check the price of a new scanpan stirlo $ 100 +++

Rgds

oh:-

echnidna
6th November 2007, 09:00 PM
Use oven cleaner on it a few times

Christopha
6th November 2007, 09:06 PM
Great stuff thanks guys, and Stirlo, it's just a small pan, about 200mm across and it cost $150 so I want it last me for a while thanks mate ;)

ss_11000
6th November 2007, 09:08 PM
well thats fair enuf i rekon

DavidG
6th November 2007, 10:33 PM
Pan, woks and bbq's are no good until they have a nice thick black, crud layer. Totally non stick then.:U

bsrlee
7th November 2007, 08:31 PM
Scanpan used to sell some special cleaning product for getting gunk off - I suppose someone had children help in the kitchen.

Or you could be like Lindey Milan of the Womens Weekly, had have the boss from Scanpan come around & give you a new one & take away the old one - OK, you have to invite him for dinner first:doh:

prozac
8th November 2007, 07:06 PM
Perhaps cooking in it more will gradually remove the staining.
prozac

dai sensei
8th November 2007, 07:58 PM
They say you can use steel utensils on Scanpans, but take it from me, they do scratch.

I used to have a full set of Scanpans, supposed to be a gift from the xMIL, but I ended up paying for 75% :?:((. When the X left she took them all except the large pan. Why, because she used to clean it with a steel pad and its surface was stuffed after 2 years, everything stuck. I used to think they were good pots & pans, but certainly not worth the extra $'s.

These days I use those pans with the red heat spots :2tsup:. One year old and surface still ok, but even if it wasn't, I could buy 10 for the price of the Scanpan.