PDA

View Full Version : Goblet form

ss_11000
6th November 2007, 04:51 PM
harro

thursday i made this goblet. we had to leave for port mac that arvo and i got out of sport at school to pack and i decided to turn something that just happened to turn into a goblet.

Its rather crap tho. its made of pine and has tool marks and tearout every where. it took about half an hour and is rushed because i didnt have a lot of time. i didnt even sand the thing. but what do you guys think about the shape of it.

personally i think the base needs to be bigger and the transition from stem to base needs to be shorter.

anyway - tell me what you think about the shape.

wheelinround
6th November 2007, 05:01 PM
yep sort of a goblet stirlo the background is quite clear tho :p Edit sorry got interupted looks good shape I agree small base but I have seen this on normal glass goblets.

so why haven't you been at school all day its Melb/Mexico who gets public hols not NSW

ss_11000
6th November 2007, 05:38 PM
so why haven't you been at school all day its Melb/Mexico who gets public hols not NSW
helping with funeral arrangements for my grandma:(

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th November 2007, 05:58 PM
You've already picked the faults I'd pick. :) You've done well turning it from pine, as it's not the strongest wood in small diameters and easily snaps while turning the stem. It's all good practice though.

Because the stem and the bowl are the same height, a very effective look is to have the foot just a tad narrower than the maximum width of the bowl and turn the stem to have the same curve to the outside of the bowl.

ie. If you made a cardboard template to fit the outside of the bowl, then the piece you cut out would become the template for the foot?

Does that makes sense?

(Sorry to hear about your Grandma)

ss_11000
6th November 2007, 07:56 PM
Does that makes sense?

(Sorry to hear about your Grandma)
thanx skew.

yep, makes sense mate:2tsup:

joe greiner
6th November 2007, 11:50 PM
I agree with Skew: Make the top of the base a mirror of the bottom of the bowl. Also, unequal proportions can improve the look. The "golden ratio" helps here. For example, make the total height 1.618 x whatever, and the stem 1.0 x the same whatever. Doesn't have to be too exact; 2/3 is close enough to 0.618.

Condolences about your Gram from me too.

Joe

ss_11000
7th November 2007, 10:58 AM
thanx Joe:)

OGYT
7th November 2007, 01:58 PM
Agree with the others. Good job on the pine... keeping the stem intact. Do another one when you get the chance and have the time to spend... high speed, light cuts, honed tools... truly good practice. :)