PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Tassi Timbers

Rippa
7th November 2007, 12:36 AM
Hi All, I am looking for information on getting Tassi timbers out of Tasmania back to the West I will be flying to Tassi in Febuary 2008. I have recieved a list and map from a forum member of timber suppliers on the island.:2tsup: Is there a shipping or transport company which I can contact about shipping it back to Western Australia if I buy a quantity that wont fit in my suit case ??:no:
I have been sand bagging on the forum for 3 years now and have found it quiet educational, so would like to thank all the members that have helped me even if you dont know it:clap:

Rippa

rod1949
7th November 2007, 03:01 PM
Yep there's probably 100's of them. All the big boys would do it and they would all say "we are not general carriers" whatever that means.

I'd get the mob who you buy the timber from to arrange freight

rsser
7th November 2007, 04:23 PM
There were several freight companies listed in a thread started by Allan from Wallan on another part of the board about shipping a saw over to Tas.

Any case, folk you buy from will be able to arrange freight no drama.

Ozartisan
7th November 2007, 06:16 PM
Rippa
I obtained over a tonne of various timber while in Tasmania earlier this year, and had it shipped via Tasfreight. I dealt with them direct as I had timber from a number of sources. They supplied me with a couple of large "Spud Bins" that I packed. They then picked them up & freighted them.
The head office is located on the Bass Highway at Latrobe. I found them very helpful.
I am sure they could handle box lots as well.
If you are just getting some turning blanks etc & can pack into cartons, I think Australia Post is the way to go - just keep each carton under 20kg.
Have fun in Tassie!

Tasfreight (http://www.yellowpages.com.au/onlineSolution_moreInfo.do?z=100008&headingCode=28525&listingPosition=2&iblName=Tasfreight&iblId=3427945&pageNumber=1&authToken=11618f06a6f%7C9f293e489e280f292b833c449ae1ba2f&st=bn)
Bass Hwy Latrobe TAS 7307
ph: (03) 6426 1201

Greg Q
7th November 2007, 07:57 PM
Me too on Tas Freight:

I had a pack of about 1 1/2 metres shipped from the mill near Burnie to the dock in Melbourne by Tas Freight for less than $100.00...I think it was $75.00 in fact. I'm sure they will be able to organise on-shipment to W.A.

Greg

Rippa
7th November 2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks All for your replies, they are food for thought and have pointed me in the right direction. Will check out Tasfreight could be buying for 3 or 4 woodturners. Also enquire about Australia post could be a little more than 20kgs though.

Rippa