PDA

View Full Version : my results

GeoffS
31st October 2003, 03:58 PM
Rather than clutter this site I have posted some pictures of what I do on my own site:-
http://users.ncable.com.au/gsyme/woodwork/
Not a lot for a long time at it but evidence of past work has been lost when:-
Sold the house
Destroyed in bush fire (we didn't live there at the time)
Sold or gave it away.
etc.
Cheers

gatiep
1st November 2003, 12:28 AM
Very nice work indeed Geoff. I bet a lot of hours went into those !

Very interested in your cyclone with the blower on the floor. Are you happy with the performance. I am in the finishing off stages with mine but have a height problem. I would very much like to use a similar concept of having the blower & motor next to the cyclone

Thanks for sharing your work with us

Regards

Joe

Have fun......................keep turnin

GeoffS
1st November 2003, 07:16 AM
The blower on the floor works fine. Big home made 'U' bend at the top which you can partly see in the picture. I could have put the blower & motor on top -I had the height - but the weight both in getting it there and then supporting it defeated me. Only a tin shed I couldn't hang it on the wall (NOISE!!!) so would have needed a pretty massive structure.
Thanks for the comments - I'm retired (not when I made the dresser) so time is not so critical unless in terms of 'will I live long enough?'
Cheers

gatiep
1st November 2003, 01:31 PM
I'm retired (not when I made the dresser) so time is not so critical unless in terms of 'will I live long enough?'

Thanks Geoff.............your remark about the time etc applies to me as well especially as I've had a massive heart attack in 1999 and a cancer op in 2000. I always giggle when talking about a heart attack because it brings back memories of an Indian fellow in Natal, South Africa telling me : " My father's heart attacked him!"

The days may be few or perhaps there still be many, don't know for sure BUT what I do know: Its great to be alive!!!

Thanks for the info on the blower...much appreciated

Cya

Joe

Have fun.................keep turnin

Sturdee
1st November 2003, 05:16 PM
Geoff,

I am also interested in the way you have built your cyclone as I also have a height problem. What is the total height of your system and can you post some detailed pics of how you did it.

Regards,

Peter.

GeoffS
2nd November 2003, 11:25 AM
Peter
The height from the top of 'u' bend (at top) to the top of rubbish bin is 1850mm. My cyclone could be lot lower but I lifted it to that height to meet the ducting which was already in place. I could have a much larger bin. Photographing what I have done at the top is a wee bit difficult - there are a lot of things in the way. As you may have noted, my shed is a little cluttered. I will do a drawing and put a link to it on the web site. Keep watching or I will send you an email.
Cheers

DPB
2nd November 2003, 02:03 PM
Geoff, please send me a private message or email. I would like to contact you privately re your work.

:)

Sturdee
2nd November 2003, 03:21 PM
Thanks Geoff, I'll look forward to it.

Peter

Wayne Davy
2nd November 2003, 10:45 PM
Geoff,

Great job on the furniture and particularly the Cyclone. Very smart idea on the top 'U' bend. Being a decent size and a nice gentle curve, it should not cut down the air flow much at all I suspect.

Well done!!

Wayne Davy
17th November 2003, 10:49 PM
GeoffS,

I'm a bit slack as I should have posted this up ages ago. You are now a member of the 'Get Rid Ugly Dust' (GRUD) club! :D

Welcome aboard

( large certificate can be downloaded from here if you want it (http://members.optusnet.com.au/waynedavy/FunPics/GRUDMembershipCerificate-GeoffSyme.jpg) )

gatiep
18th November 2003, 01:27 AM
Wayne

I got a 2 hp motor and turbine ( FM 300 ) from Carbatec, built a cage like Bill Pentz's budget blower. This motor draws 3.9 amps with no load and no fan. Set up in the cage with the fan and inlet blocked off it draws 4.1 A, with a 6" inlet 5.6 A and 8" inlet 5.8 A.
It surely blows a cyclone out the outlet!

I went to Carbatec Perth and measured their FM 300 on the floor, With 1 x 4" inlet open draws 4.1A, 2 x 4" inlets open 4.8 A, with the inlet adapter removed alltogether 4.5 A.

The motor is rated at 7.7 amps, so I am positive that I am well below the max rating as I am busy installing 6" ducting thruout.

Some time ago in the cyclone thread you mentioned that you were going to measure your power draw. Could you please post the figures as I think you are using the same motor and turbine but in the original metal housing. ( Also the 2 HP budget DC )

I am going to mount my blower next to the cyclone, something like Peter did, because of height, weight and noise factor in the Colorbond shed. I'll be mounting mine outside the shed by actually mounting the motor to a bracket that will be fixed to the concrete floor with the inlet facing upwards.

Cya

Joe

Have fun.......................keep turnin

GeoffS
18th November 2003, 08:37 AM
Thanks Wayne - I could even put it on the wall of the shed now because it won't get covered with wood dust - unfortunately the other dust (Mallee) still covers everything.
Cheers