PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic new 14.4 Volt Multi Driver

angiep
7th November 2007, 03:52 PM
Hi All<O:p</O:p
Anyone know if this new model EY7542LN2S would be suitable for general work around the house. Need a good all round cordless drill which does everything. (Drilling, Driving in screws and drilling holes in brick walls)
http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?productID=6360
<O:p</O:p
Have been looking at the Makita BHP451 hammer drill but I like the Panasonic models better.
<O:p</O:p
Cheers
PC

Pusser
7th November 2007, 04:06 PM
The panasonic is an impact driver not a hammer drill so they are not designed for the same jobs and not directly comparable. I am not sure which would be better for drilling, the panasonic would be better for driving and drilling big holes in wood but the Makita would be better for drilling in masonary (ie hammer drilling) I have the sister Panasonic 14.4 LI drill (EY7440) and it is very good with excellent batteries and lighter than its equivilent Makita.

Pusser

angiep
7th November 2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks Pusser

Back to the draving board again
A friend of mine has the 15.6 Volt EY6932 hammer drill and has never had any problems with it. Best chuck he has come across to date he says. This might be the choice for me then.

Cheers
PC

Chris Parks
8th November 2007, 11:36 PM
That Panasonic is a driver only and you would need special hex drills to use it as such.

angiep
21st November 2007, 10:05 PM
Buying my drill tommorow.
Will be either one of these two

Panasonic 15.6 Volt EY6932 hammer drill or Makita 18 Volt BHP451 hammer drill.

Which one would you guys go for?

Cheers

Pusser
21st November 2007, 10:41 PM
I would buy Panasonic but i am not reliable as I am still enamoured of my Panasonic which has lighter and had better batteries than the Makita. Before I did my selection I would have gone for the Makita because that was what I knew and its a bit like IBM - you could never go wrong buying them.
I think you need to see how they fit your hand and feel them to be sure. They are both good brands and I may be guilty of wanting to reaffirm my choice by advising you to do the same. That is one of the issues in getting advice I guess. I notice that purchasers of expensive tools always seem to advocate their own brand. In the Fine woodworking tool tests the tools are comparrred in use for a considerable time and rated by a bunch of testers in some sort of objective way. Readers Choice always change the order. LN tools, festool etc always jump places irrespective of where they finish in the objective tests. Not to say they are not great tools but their supporters are definately more evangelical and vote. Similarly, the Bosch and craftsman routers are almost identical yet one gets promoted and one finishes last when readers votes are taken into account.

Chris Parks
21st November 2007, 11:32 PM
Weight and the fit in your hand is the most important. There is a difference between an impact driver and a hammer drill. I too have a liking for Panasonic, I have had smoke coming out of mine and it still works.

angiep
21st November 2007, 11:48 PM
I have big hands and they both feel good to hold. One has the new Lithium-ion battery where the pana uses the Ni-MH battery.

The questing I guess should one stick with the new technology type battery.

Cheers

Pusser
22nd November 2007, 12:41 AM
My panasonic is lithium and i have not used the NiMH drill. They do not list a hammer drill with Lithium yet. If you do not use your drill often (like daily) I would go with the lithium option notwithstanding my bias as you are more likely to have charge in it when you want it - NiMH are really good except they discharge rapidly when not in use. Lithium batteries on the other hand hold their charge.