PDA

View Full Version : 2nd attempt at textured rim + question

Brown Dog
7th November 2007, 05:35 PM
G'day all

My latest commision for SWMBO (engagement gift for work collegue). I thought this bit of Black Wood needed "something" a bit extra. So I took to it with the dremel and a gas torch with the below results

and a close up of the rim

My question is...as yet the black/burnt part isnt sealed. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use and how to go about applying it ?

My idea is to mask of the section and spray with spray on lacquer (in a can) but I would be gratefull for any other suggestions

cheers
BD:2tsup:

wheelinround
7th November 2007, 05:40 PM
really well done like it

that would be one way

wondering how brushed oil would look and if it would work or resin

killerbeast
7th November 2007, 05:44 PM
very nice ! i like the burnt rim. but havent got any good ideas for sealing.

TTIT
7th November 2007, 05:53 PM
When I use textures like that I generally brush on a heavy coat of oil while I'm doing the rest of the piece, let it sit for a good while, then rub off/mop up any excess. What you do now depends a bit on how you finished the rest of the bowl though...

Brown Dog
7th November 2007, 06:09 PM
thanks for the suggestions fellas

Oil was my first thought....though I was afraid that if I brushed or rubbed it on i might end up with a black gooey mess :?

What you do now depends a bit on how you finished the rest of the bowl though...

the rest is finished with shellawax and traditional wax.

cheers
BD

benji79
7th November 2007, 06:11 PM
Call me stupid :rolleyes:, but how did you do the burning without scorching the rest of the wood, I love the effect and really want to try it.

Benji

Brown Dog
7th November 2007, 06:19 PM
Call me stupid :rolleyes:, but how did you do the burning without scorching the rest of the wood,

Okay stupid :p:D....

I start with the flat rim, then recess the part that will be textured about 1-2mm. This leaves the surounding part a little proud. Do your texturing/burning, you dont have to be too careful but try and stay in the lines. Then turn down the high parts (plus any other burnt bits)..thus removing any evidence of shody workmanship :wink:. This leaves the textured part level or a little proud of the rest of the rim.

hope that helps Benji

cheers

Baz
7th November 2007, 09:19 PM
When I burn a rim and texture I use Webrax 1500 grit to get rid of most of the ash/charcol, give it a good blow out with compressed air, give it a spin and apply a folded soft rag and then a good soak of oil.
Cheers
Barry

rsser
7th November 2007, 09:58 PM
I've used shellac on scorched ash. Worked well.

Added: try a weak solution with a small brush, stippling into the pores

ubeaut
7th November 2007, 11:36 PM
Coat of black stain followed by white shellac when stain is well and truly dry dry.

Cheers - Neil :)

Cliff Rogers
7th November 2007, 11:46 PM
There was somebody on here a while back who reckons they have applied oil with a spray gun... may have been Soundman. :think:

But, I guess if you had a spray gun you could use lacquer.

I gave up trying to burn things to blacken them years ago.
Like Neil says, I use black stain. :2tsup:

Hardenfast
8th November 2007, 08:13 AM
Nice job Mr Dog - I like it!

Brown Dog
8th November 2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the advice and compliments guys

Looks like stain and shellac is the go. A conclusion I quickly came to after checking out my "polishers handbook"

I guess thats why Neil suggests you keep the book in the shed, so it can be refered to before or during a project.....instead in the "thrown room" where one can only reflect on it after the fact :doh::U.

I gave up trying to burn things to blacken them years ago.

Although Im fairly pleased with the results on this attempt. I agree with Cliff.

I think the texturing looked better before I burnt it (ie some of it burnt away). The reason I tried the burning was because using a high speed cutter on blackwood (ie the dremel) = black and burnt...but patchy. So at the time applying a flame to even it out seemed like a good idea :oo:. So for the next one I think i will just try the black stain.

thanks again
BD:peace2:

Gil Jones
8th November 2007, 04:47 PM
Your texturing is excellent!! :2tsup: I am not a fan of charing with a torch, and prefer the black ink. Not only easier, but no soot to rub off.

Stu in Tokyo
8th November 2007, 11:25 PM
Looks great, I've yet to try the texturing.

How long did it take, to do the dremel bit?

Cheers!

Tornatus
8th November 2007, 11:25 PM
G'day BD

Just seen your post - ripper highlighting, BTW. I thought I should mention that I have just read an article in the latest Woodturning magazine (US) about scorching turnings for dramatic effect, in which the author recommends using sanding sealer, as apparently this fixes the sooty bits in place and prevents smudging etc.

Of course, I bow to Neil's expertise in this area - I just thought I'd mention what someone else has tried. :U

Brown Dog
9th November 2007, 10:51 AM
Looks great, I've yet to try the texturing.

How long did it take, to do the dremel bit?

Cheers!

hey Stu...thanks

roughly I reackon it would probably have taken no more than a couple of hours :? ...I didnt really take notice of the time....at the time:;. I was also kind of experimenting with what effect looked best as I went.

This texturing was inspired by a photo in a book I have on contemporary turning. The photo was a platter turned by an artist named Hayley Smith.

I googled Hayley to see if I could find a photo of the item that inspired me.....but couldnt find anything similar.....though her other stuff is very nice too.

Woodturning magazine (US) about scorching turnings for dramatic effect, in which the author recommends using sanding sealer, as apparently this fixes the sooty bits in place and prevents smudging etc.

thanks for the idea Tornatus :2tsup:...sounds like that would work too....I suppose that Shellac is similar to the sanding sealer.

cheers

OGYT
9th November 2007, 03:28 PM
BD, I read a post on another forum the other day about a turner that does a lot of burning. She said she buys rubbing alcohol (the kind that's labeled 91% alcohol) and uses that to 'wash' off the ash, to keep from getting it on the rest of the wood.
She said the weaker alcohol rub would raise the grain, but the 91% wouldn't.
Okay... I'm a gossip... but that's what she said. :D

Brown Dog
20th November 2007, 05:04 PM
hello all

Here is a couple of pics of the finished article....and the gift box I knocked up to go with it made from some celery top pine.

60645 60646 60647

In the end I went with Neils advice of stain and shellac (cause thats what I had :D)

For the stain I used Feast Watson prooftint (black) and the shellac was some Ubeaut hard shellac. Both just brushed on with artists brushes

The finished article is a little different from what I pictured. The texturing finished up kinda shiny which gives its a nice glitering look :rolleyes:. Originally I wanted a mat finish but Im quite happy how this turned out...especially as it was a bit of an experiment.

cheers

ss_11000
20th November 2007, 05:38 PM
looks great in the presentation box.:2tsup:

artme
20th November 2007, 06:57 PM
Very nicely done!:U:):) How did you turn that box, Especially the dovetails?:D:D:q Are they Dovetails? Having a bad eyesight day?

robyn2839
20th November 2007, 10:36 PM
have you tried a texturing tool?,i would like to get one but dont have any info on them.bob

Caveman
20th November 2007, 11:57 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:Real nice BD.

Great gift!

BernieP
21st November 2007, 06:17 PM
G'Day BD

Very impressive, like the added touch of the finger cutouts on the sides.

Cheers
Bernie

Brown Dog
21st November 2007, 10:30 PM
cheers everyone

How did you turn that box

just cut the corners of a round one....how else would ya do it :rolleyes:

Very impressive, like the added touch of the finger cutouts on the sides.

thanks bernie.....The "finger cutouts" are actually there because I stuffed up...or rather I could'nt be stuffed doing it properly (Im not particularly fond of the person who is recieving it :o :D)

I had to put those little cutouts in because the lump of timber I picked out to make the box from was'nt quite long enough to get a box big enough to actually fit the bowl :doh:....so I had to take some chunks outa the side to get it to fit...:B

but I think it still looks okay

cheers
BD:cool: