PDA

View Full Version : seasoning mahogany

weisyboy
7th November 2007, 07:21 PM
i have just finished cutting a smallish mahogany log.

i have never dealt with mahogany before so need advice as to how to dry it.

i will stick and stack it out of the sun and rain as i do with all my timber.

what i rely want to know is how badly it splits?

i will seal the ends, but do i need to seal up the log 6" or so as with bloodwood?

laso do i need to seal the knots within the slabs to stop them splitting.

matildasmate
15th November 2007, 12:10 AM
i have just finished cutting a smallish mahogany log.

i have never dealt with mahogany before so need advice as to how to dry it.

i will stick and stack it out of the sun and rain as i do with all my timber.

what i rely want to know is how badly it splits?

i will seal the ends, but do i need to seal up the log 6" or so as with bloodwood?

laso do i need to seal the knots within the slabs to stop them splitting.
I have no idea Weisy , I have a so called Mahogany tree growing on my place , no idea what it's real name . I was just wondering if you know it's proper name? Have you got any pic's of the wood also , Thank's mate , Cheer's MM

weisyboy
15th November 2007, 06:16 PM
there are pics round here someware will find them and post.

not sure what breed of maogany it is i think maby swamp?

weisyboy
15th November 2007, 06:47 PM
as for the mahogany i milled it on wednesday last week sealed the ends and 4" in from each end and any branch sections that stuck out and 4" in from each of them. as well as large nots in the log and so far not a sighn of a spit and no warping.

weisyboy
15th November 2007, 06:49 PM
pics are here
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=55708

charlsie
7th January 2008, 10:12 AM
weisboy it looks like southern mahogany to me e.botryoides.iv'e slabbed two of them. the first come from a nice wet area and each slab split like christ. the second tree came from down near the beach in sandy soil.only the slab with the heart in it has split so far. all i can put this down to is the first tree got to drink when it wanted to the second only when it rained.My thoughts are that the first had a great deal more moisture in it and when slabbed lost the moisture more quickly causing it to split in a hurry . Just wondering has any one had the same problem?

Exador
11th January 2008, 07:28 AM
weisboy it looks like southern mahogany to me e.botryoides.iv'e slabbed two of them. the first come from a nice wet area and each slab split like christ. the second tree came from down near the beach in sandy soil.only the slab with the heart in it has split so far. all i can put this down to is the first tree got to drink when it wanted to the second only when it rained.My thoughts are that the first had a great deal more moisture in it and when slabbed lost the moisture more quickly causing it to split in a hurry . Just wondering has any one had the same problem?

It's more likely a case of growth stress, I'd say. On the whole, trees that grow near water grow faster and hence the stress incorporated in each year's growth is greater. When you cut the thing, that stress is relieved, leading to the cracking you've described.