PDA

View Full Version : Nova G3 jaws quality concerns

Big Shed
8th November 2007, 06:20 PM
In the process of setting up for pen turning. Bought a G3 chuck with a set of 25mm Pin Jaws, as well as a keyless chuck for the tail stock.

Whilst I am quite impressed with the G3 chuck, I am less impressed with the finish on the 25mm Pin Jaws.
As pictures 2 & 3 show, there are quite large burrs left on the edges of the jaws. these burrs are very hard and impossible to remove.

My question is, is this normal for the Nova jaws, I have to say the standard jaws don't have this. Or I am being too critical?

scooter
8th November 2007, 06:31 PM
Looks pretty crappy, doesn't it Fred.

I'd either return & swap them, or grind off the burr with careful use of an angle grinder.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th November 2007, 06:39 PM
That's not acceptable. Jaws are enough like rotary knuckle graters as it is, without giving 'em a cutting edge too! :no:

Send 'em back... unless teknatool have gone downhill all of a sudden, they'll replace 'em with nary a question.

chrisb691
8th November 2007, 06:41 PM
Don't stuff around with them, take them back. They are not an acceptable quality.

wheelinround
8th November 2007, 06:42 PM
my 50mm jaws are fine I'd take them back they look terrible

DJ’s Timber
8th November 2007, 06:52 PM
They are rough as guts, take em back. I could do a better job then that with just a hacksaw

Big Shed
8th November 2007, 06:57 PM
Here are some pictures of the standard jaws that came with the chuck, to me they look like they should look.

Will ring C/tec in the morning. It's getting to the stage that you have to check everything in the shop before you leave!:((

Big Shed
8th November 2007, 06:59 PM
That's not acceptable. Jaws are enough like rotary knuckle graters as it is, without giving 'em a cutting edge too! :no:

Send 'em back... unless teknatool have gone downhill all of a sudden, they'll replace 'em with nary a question.

I hope so! Makes you wonder about their QC though:o

It also makes you wander about all the horror stories about stuff coming out of China, this box is clearly marked Made in New Zealand.:doh:

So it isn't only Chinese stuff that can be crappy.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th November 2007, 07:04 PM
Here're my Teknatool pin-jaws. Slightly different (older model) and on a SNova III but as you can see there's no rough edges... (beyond what some silly bugger at this end of the line put there. :B)

Calm
8th November 2007, 07:50 PM
Not from carbetec but i have been waiting since the melb www show to get a set of pin jaws for a SN2. Apparently they are out of stock. This may explain why they sent some rough ones to fill an order.

I still would not accept those - there is a thing called merchantable quality and you didnt get it.

orraloon
8th November 2007, 07:59 PM
What the rest said. Take them back!

Regards
John

Cliff Rogers
8th November 2007, 10:24 PM
My opinion only.

I reckon that their product has slipped in quality over the last couple of years. :(

Big Shed
8th November 2007, 10:30 PM
Here're my Teknatool pin-jaws. Slightly different (older model) and on a SNova III but as you can see there's no rough edges... (beyond what some silly bugger at this end of the line put there. :B)

Thanks Skew, looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer to do what you are doing there:((

hughie
8th November 2007, 10:54 PM
Big Shed,

I have the same size pin jaws with no burrs etc. If you need the jaws right now, perhaps just remove the burrs carefully.

But I agree with the rest of the posts, very poor QC. I would send the pics directly to NZ and have a darn good dummy spit. :smack:

Big Shed
8th November 2007, 11:07 PM
Not quite a dummy spit, but it made me feel better all the same:2tsup:

Sir,

Yesterday I purchased a Nova G3 chuck and a set of 25mm Pin Jaws from Carbatec-Melbourne

Whilst I am quite satisfied with the G3 chuck, I was horrified at the extremely poor finish of the Pin Jaws, photos attached.

I have shown these pictures to other experienced wood turners and their opinion is unanimous, a very poor finish unworthy of Nova Teknatool. It shows an alarming lack of QC, even though the box is marked Made in New Zealand, it is reminiscent of the worst things that China has to offer.

Will be interesting to see whether I'll get a response.

Stu in Tokyo
8th November 2007, 11:34 PM
Wow, that set of pin jaws slipped by someone :oo:

If I were them I'd be HAPPY to hear from you, so I could get them unfinished jaws back, and off the market.

I recently got a set, and they had a (compared to the ones you have) "Micro" burrs on them. I got them from the US (way cheaper than Japan) so I just touched them up with a file and they are fine.

Sure hope you get some satisfaction from them. :)

ss_11000
9th November 2007, 06:49 AM
nice letter mate:cool: it should set em straight

Frank&Earnest
9th November 2007, 10:03 AM
FWIW. I went a couple of days ago to buy a set of pin jaws and I was told that nobody has them in stock because Teknatool has moved production to China and they had delays setting up their machines there.

The fact that the box has "made in NZ" written on it does not necessarily mean that what was put in the box is:wink:. When I bought the chuck a few months ago I was given a set of jaws that did not look like the real deal. As they were not the type I had ordered I brought them back and had them replaced, no problem, so I did not even mention that they looked rough and did not have the punched numbers to set them.

Big Shed
9th November 2007, 10:14 AM
F&E, you could be right about the country of origin, certainly much more like bad Chinese workmanship than what I expect to come out of NZ.

I might add I haven't received a reply from either Carbatec or Teknatool so far, but I expect I will have to phone. In my experience very few comapnies respond to emails, either complaints or potential business.

It is possible that Carbatec still had stock as I ordered these at the last WWS in Melbourne and they were put away for me at that stage (or so I am told).

When I was in Adelaide last, just before the Melbourne WWWS, I called in to MIK and they certainly didn't have stock of the Pin Jaws at that stage.

Frank&Earnest
9th November 2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks, I'll ask around then...:2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th November 2007, 04:09 PM
F&E, it might also be worth your time to PM Jim Carroll and ask if he has any in stock.

He may not have the turnover of the bigger companies, but every time I've ordered jaws off him I've had them within a few days so I'm sure he doesn't just "pass on the order."

Jim Carroll
9th November 2007, 05:28 PM
The problem with the pin jaws is the person on the end of the machine not making sure the slotting cutter is sharp.

This occurs every now and then and it is not soley contained to china manufacture, it has also happened in NZ.

It is the one major complaint we have with Teknatool is their quality control. Admitadly they do churn these out by the hundreds but that is still no excuse.

Skew I may be one of the smaller guys but our turnover is a lot higher than most of the big guys. We also keep a larger amount of stock on hand than they do.

At the moment we are in the same boat as everyone else and are waiting for stock.

Latest update is mid december so dont hold your breath in getting any sooner. If carbatec do have stock then they would be the only ones in Aus. Their turnover in these chucks is small.

Their transition from manufacturing in NZ to china has had an effect on their supply but they keep telling us they are getting on top of it now that they have all their machines in china up and running. Time will tell and quality will tell.

Big Shed
9th November 2007, 05:33 PM
Well, not that I'm surprised, but no answer to the email to Teknatool or the one to Carbatec.

Finished up ringing C/tec and spoke to a gentleman there. He decided to have a look at my email, so they had received it, and agreed with me (and the rest of you guys) that the finish was nowhere near good enough. He said that he had never seen anything that bad from Teknatool. He skirted around the question about production in China by Teknatool, would neither confirm or deny.

Anyway he asked me to return the jaws to them, at their cost (reply paid no provided) and they would Express Post another set, after inspecting them.

So, we will see what we will see.

Not that impressed that Teknatool don't bother to reply to QC concerns within one working day, hopefully I will never need spare parts at that rate:o

Big Shed
9th November 2007, 05:37 PM
Jim, thanks for enlightening me, our post obviously crossed.

I did try to buy both the chuck and the jaws from you at the WWWS, but as you didn't have stock of the jaws, I went with C/tec who had stock.

Oh, and their show price on the G3 chuck was more than $30 below yours, so there you go.

killerbeast
9th November 2007, 06:07 PM
Hmmm lightly worried. Im getting ready to buy my first Chuck.. and i have found the SuperNova2 in the UK at only 120£ + shipping. (cheap by my standarts) but if the have gone completely china i might reconsider and look at the Robert Sorby Patriot again.

does anybody have experience with that chuck.....

Rasmus - www.woodturning.dk

Jim Carroll
9th November 2007, 09:48 PM
Rasmus do not be put off by what has been said here.

The teknatool quality is very good, but like all manufactures some parts slip under the radar and this is where you complain to them to pick up their game..

I dont think there is one manufacturer that can claim 100% customer satisfaction and now with the internet faults are broadcast all over.

In the old days the customer would contact the retailer and complain that part a was faulty and this was fixed and no one else heard about it.

I would be curios as to where the Robert Sorby gear is manufactured for their chucks.

Teknatool have built their own factory in china and will keep to their own standards, {even with a few slip ups along the way}
Overall with the amount of teknatool gear we sell here in Aus which is small by US standards there is less than 0.1% faulty.

As with all manufacturers we have to keep them on the ball all the time.

Rookie
9th November 2007, 10:09 PM
Teknatool have built their own factory in china and will keep to their own standards, {even with a few slip ups along the way}
Overall with the amount of teknatool gear we sell here in Aus which is small by US standards there is less than 0.1% faulty.

I think Jim's right ( not that you need me to agree with you Jim), but any manufacturer who moves their productiuon "off shore" is very conscious of the standards they put on the people and the agencies over there. People often misunderstand the reasons for putting various business functions off shore, and put it all down to cost saving. While that is certainly a benefit, many companies do it because places like India, China, and Taiwan among other are very very good at work which involves repetitive, repeatable processes that produce the same result time and time again. It's not just cost, and the Chinese, Indian, or Taiwanese manufacturers would be as keen to get this one back as anyone. They have a great pride in what they can produce for large companies.

And before we get intoa discussion about things like Chinese MC900's vs Jet 1236's (which are very smilar designs), the chinese do not dictate the level of quality of their components. The people they are making machines for specify that by dictating a manufacturing cost.

rsser
9th November 2007, 10:41 PM
Sorby chucks look to be a dead spit for Vicmarcs. Badge engineering I think they call it ;-}

And Rookie, I like your optimism. I've found reasons not to share it though.

As for Teknatool, I wish they'd listen to their customers. The pin jaws are a gross case of failure of QC but there are other more simple cases of neglect too, in the vein of sloppy machining. I've been a fan of their stuff in the past but am now more sceptical.

Cliff Rogers
9th November 2007, 10:49 PM
I have one of the first Supernovas, 2 of their Nova chucks, a set of the black pin jaws,& a set of their cole jaws, they are all good, but, the ones I have are no longer made in the same form in the same place.

I have 2 of their SN2 chucks & as soon as I phart, they go rusty, the old gear doesn't. :(

rsser
9th November 2007, 10:58 PM
Cliffy, I think you need to see a doc about your farts!

Cliff Rogers
9th November 2007, 11:00 PM
Why?? I'm actually quiet proud of them. :D

Frank&Earnest
9th November 2007, 11:30 PM
It's early days yet and I am no expert, but so far I am happy with the Supernova2 (hasn't rusted yet, not for lack of... trying:D). Got tired to keep swapping standard jaws with Super Grip, so I was thinking about a G3 with pin jaws for smaller work and the 5" to use with the bigger jaws. Unless something really bad happens to their production (you guys would certainly talk about it) that might be my Xmas present to myself.

Cliff Rogers
9th November 2007, 11:50 PM
Chucks are like clamps.... you can never have too many.

I hate changing jaws. :D

killerbeast
10th November 2007, 01:16 AM
Rasmus do not be put off by what has been said here.

The teknatool quality is very good, but like all manufactures some parts slip under the radar and this is where you complain to them to pick up their game..

I dont think there is one manufacturer that can claim 100% customer satisfaction and now with the internet faults are broadcast all over.

In the old days the customer would contact the retailer and complain that part a was faulty and this was fixed and no one else heard about it.

I would be curios as to where the Robert Sorby gear is manufactured for their chucks.

As far as i know, all parts are made in the UK locally.

But i wont worry to much the price i found is so good that i can´t say no.

1400 DKR (120£)

Harry72
10th November 2007, 03:06 AM
Not from carbetec but i have been waiting since the melb www show to get a set of pin jaws for a SN2. Apparently they are out of stock. This may explain why they sent some rough ones to fill an order.

I still would not accept those - there is a thing called merchantable quality and you didnt get it.

Yep me too, still waiting for mine... but from MIK's

slopech4
10th November 2007, 12:19 PM
:oo: Those jaws look terrible.

Bit worried now, I just bought the same set. I hope its ok..

OGYT
10th November 2007, 12:31 PM
I just bought a Titan on sale at Craft Supplies USA, then ordered the Powergrip Jaws separately (also on sale) and the jaws were back-ordered. May be a glitch because of the outsourcing...
I would hope that I have enough of everything now, but as Cliff says, "You can't have too many chucks." :)
If I got pin jaws that looked like those, I'd send them a pic, and then file them clean. But they oughta know about it. That's just shoddy. :(
Edit: I've emailed Teknatool several times, and have gotten an answer to each of them the next day, from a man named Fan Huang. (That's true... not made up.) :)

hughie
10th November 2007, 02:39 PM
Chucks are like clamps.... you can never have too many.

Ah wisdom from the far north

I hate changing jaws. :D

absolutely!

woodwork wally
10th November 2007, 10:13 PM
Hi I would be emailing teknatool voicing dissapointment in the lack of quality control and the danger they have unleached apon woodworkers and include photos That set of jaws are not acceptable from an oriental company so teknatool need to lift their game . yep it would appear that we do now have to check every thing before leaving the sellers premises I doubt that there will be a problem getting replacement but good luck anyway . Keep us informed Regards Wally

Cliff Rogers
10th November 2007, 10:52 PM
I'm going to have to start a new thread about chucks, faceplates, & how long you may have ever left a piece in a cuck or on a face plate. :rolleyes:

Stu in Tokyo
10th November 2007, 11:02 PM
Hey Al, I got the Titan chuck on sale at Craft Supplies too, great deal eh? :2tsup:

I got the normal power jaws, the Titan power jaws and the pin jaws, all the bits came and they are all up to the good standard that I expect from Nova.

I import and sell clamps from China, the difference in quality in a clamp for a small amount of money is staggering. The ones I got are about mid price range, and are decent quality. For pennies less, the quality drops dramatically, and for only pennies more the quality is quite a bit better. Remember, they just make the stuff, if you say to them "I need 20,000 XYZ widgets and I want to pay $1 each for them, they make them to that spec, if you want the $2 units, they will make those too. For the most part, the thing that the Chinese do not do well, YET, is the research and design behind these products, but, they are catching up in that department too. When I was a kid, the products from Japan were labeled "Jap Scrap" and was generally fairly poor quality, but we all know now that is no longer true, they learned, they upped their game, the Chinese will do so as well.

Generally, I'd rather pay a bit more for good quality, regardless of the country of origin, good quality is good quality.

Cheers!

Cliff Rogers
10th November 2007, 11:30 PM
... When I was a kid, the products from Japan were labeled "Jap Scrap" and was generally fairly poor quality,....!
I remember that too, people said that had a Japanese bladder or Japaness watches had bamboo springs... now it is a different story & I'm not 50 yet (by much... :rolleyes:)

Stu in Tokyo
11th November 2007, 12:25 AM
Well, I'm from Canada, Western Canada, near Vancouver, we have a large Chinese Canadian community. Some of the hardest working, education oriented Canadians I've ever met are of Chinese heritage. It seems to me that where ever Chinese people go, outside of China, they work darn hard and they prosper, often against all odds, and it has always seemed strange that in China, they did not. Well, with the government slowly evolving over there, I think we shall see the Chinese in China do as well as their globe trotting family.

Cheers!

rodent
11th November 2007, 07:50 AM
HEY cliff a new thread on chucks might be good , what about a thread on farts . :oo: But i agree with you on the black finish my nova 2 is rusting but my old nova and it's jaws are fine .I must have th midas touch .

Big Shed
13th November 2007, 02:14 PM
Just an update on the Pin Jaw story.

Sent the faulty Pin Jaws back to Carbatec last Friday, received replacement ones today.
Although the replacement ones are very much better than the returned one, they still had a couple of edges with burrs, but a lot smaller burrs. I have shown a photo of the worst one, as you can see not nearly as bad as the other burrs. Took to these 2 edges with a file and they are now OK.

Interesting to see the differences between the 2 sets, the original(returned) set had the jaw numbers marked by a number of dots, as have the standard jaws supplied with the G3 chuck, the replacement jaws have actual numbers stamped in to them. The overall finish on the replacement jaws is also noticably better.

So, full marks to Carbatec for a speedy resolution to a problem not of their making.:2tsup:

ZERO marks to Teknatool for lousy QC and lousy customer service (or make that non-existant customer service) as I still haven't had a response from them to my email.:((

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th November 2007, 07:29 PM
Interesting to see the differences between the 2 sets, the original(returned) set had the jaw numbers marked by a number of dots, as have the standard jaws supplied with the G3 chuck, the replacement jaws have actual numbers stamped in to them. The overall finish on the replacement jaws is also noticably better.

Another seemingly backwards step, IMHO. I've several Teknatool chucks (both SN2 & the old style precision midi) and a variety of jaws and they're all stamped with numbers.

Even so, when they become covered in crud it can be an effort to ID 'em. I can't see any way that replacing 'em with dots can be deemed an improvement.

Are Teknatool following in Sorby's foosteps?

NeilS
13th November 2007, 09:41 PM
ZERO marks to Teknatool for lousy QC and lousy customer service (or make that non-existant customer service) as I still haven't had a response from them to my email.:((

I've never had a reply to any of my emails to them. There must be a 'bemused triangle' somewhere out there in the Tasman Sea that swallows the electrons flowing from the 'mainland' :). I hope it's just a glitch in their website software, however, deteriorating customer service is often the first sign of a business that is heading :aro-d:. NZ usually designs and makes quality gear, but may have to hold off for a bit on that DVR I'm planning on buying until its clearer what is happening.

Neil

Big Shed
14th November 2007, 07:38 AM
I just bought a Titan on sale at Craft Supplies USA, then ordered the Powergrip Jaws separately (also on sale) and the jaws were back-ordered. May be a glitch because of the outsourcing...
I would hope that I have enough of everything now, but as Cliff says, "You can't have too many chucks." :)
If I got pin jaws that looked like those, I'd send them a pic, and then file them clean. But they oughta know about it. That's just shoddy. :(
Edit: I've emailed Teknatool several times, and have gotten an answer to each of them the next day, from a man named Fan Huang. (That's true... not made up.) :)

I believe you, just got an email from him after a week!

Not quite a dummy spit, but it made me feel better all the same:2tsup:

Sir,

Yesterday I purchased a Nova G3 chuck and a set of 25mm Pin Jaws from Carbatec-Melbourne

Whilst I am quite satisfied with the G3 chuck, I was horrified at the extremely poor finish of the Pin Jaws, photos attached.

I have shown these pictures to other experienced wood turners and their opinion is unanimous, a very poor finish unworthy of Nova Teknatool. It shows an alarming lack of QC, even though the box is marked Made in New Zealand, it is reminiscent of the worst things that China has to offer.

Will be interesting to see whether I'll get a response.

Well, it has taken a week, but I have finally had a sign of life at Teknatool!

This is from Fan Huang:

Thanks for contacting us.

Please be assure we takes our QC and customer complaints very seriously.
I am the person in charge of all customer enquiries, however, I cannot
find the email you sent to us in the inbox. Can you please resend your
email to my personal email at (deleted)

I am sorry for any inconvenience this cause. Please be assure we will
solve it out for you.

PS: In order to continue improving our product and service. Please take
a few minutes to complete a customer satisfaction survey at
http://www.teknatool.com/CRM<wbr>/Feedback.htm (http://www.teknatool.com/CRM/Feedback.htm) and tell us what you think about our customer support.

Yours sincerely
______________________________<wbr>_____________________
TEKNATOOL INTERNATIONAL GROUP

Fan Huang
Marketing Officer

It is amazing that after a week, 2 emails, I have to now forward my email to someone's personal email address!

I can see why they might have QC problems, if they cannot handle something as simple as answering an email in a timely fashion!!:((

Anyway, I have forwarded my original emails and images, I will also fill in their customer "satisfaction" survey.

Big Shed
14th November 2007, 12:49 PM
This is in response to my query as to how Fan Huang knew how to contact me, if my email was lost.

Seems to make sense, although surely I am not the only one using Gmail?

Dear Mr ............

The reason I know about this incident is after I readed the contact query you fill out on our contact page on 10th of Nov. (as you can see in attachment) Our email system is not perfect, it does block emails from certain email service provider such as gmail.com (http://gmail.com/). This is why I am now using my personal email contact you.

We can only apologise for this, this is not a typical NOVA experience. Please be assure that we take our customer's comment and satisfaction very seriously. I have passed your email to our Production Manager for reference.

We will send you an NOVA soft jaw set as an apology for your inconvenience and frustration. Please feel free to contact me again, should you require any assistance with this matter.

Yours sincerely

______________________________<wbr>_____________________
TEKNATOOL INTERNATIONAL GROUP
Fan Huang
Marketing Officer

At least it is a vast improvement on the previous lack of response.

Pat
14th November 2007, 01:30 PM
Spammers strike again. Buggers, when a business must restrict from where emails originate due to being bombed by spammers and we have to suffer. At least you have a direct email link to this bloke (oh and the freebie too:U)

Big Shed
11th December 2007, 01:19 PM
Happily working in the shed when a TNT Express truck rocks up on our driveway.

Funny says I, I haven't bought anyhting (have I?!).

Bloke comes to the door and has a package from Teknatool China, the promised freebie Nova Soft Jaws have arrived.

Thank you Teknatool, thank you Fan Huang:2tsup::2tsup:.

I will bring them with me to DJs do so people who are interested and haven't seen these can have a look.

wheelinround
11th December 2007, 01:29 PM
Very nice saw a set at Trend recently but their price was if I recall $35 to $70 http://cws-store.yahoostore.com.au/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107144839&product_id=1107445062

robyn2839
11th December 2007, 04:18 PM
why not use the vicmarc jaws ,some of them are cheaper than the teknatool, and better quality . bob

Big Shed
11th December 2007, 04:21 PM
why not use the vicmarc jaws ,some of them are cheaper than the teknatool, and better quality . bob

They can't be any cheaper than these Bob!:2tsup:

rsser
11th December 2007, 05:02 PM

The locating groove in the chuck slides is in a different position.

But Vermec and Garry Pye sell adaptors.

robyn2839
11th December 2007, 08:15 PM
i have the adaptors from vermec and now buy vicmarc jaws if i cant get the technatools. bob

Big Shed
12th December 2007, 03:36 PM
Found a project using the Nova Soft Jaws (http://www.teknatool.com/projects/Auctioneer%20Gavel.pdf).

Solutions Aust
13th December 2007, 09:26 AM
In the process of setting up for pen turning. Bought a G3 chuck with a set of 25mm Pin Jaws, as well as a keyless chuck for the tail stock.

Whilst I am quite impressed with the G3 chuck, I am less impressed with the finish on the 25mm Pin Jaws.
As pictures 2 & 3 show, there are quite large burrs left on the edges of the jaws. these burrs are very hard and impossible to remove.

My question is, is this normal for the Nova jaws, I have to say the standard jaws don't have this. Or I am being too critical?

There is no excuse for such poor and dangerous quality from the manufacturer and supplier. They should be immediately returned.

Woodfast Aust:)
www.woodfast.com.au (http://www.woodfast.com.au)

Cliff Rogers
13th December 2007, 09:39 AM
Did we just go through a time warp? :?

DJ’s Timber
13th December 2007, 09:56 AM

Cliff, I suspect he only read the first thread and then posted without bothering to read the rest of the thread, as some members do here :doh:

Cliff Rogers
13th December 2007, 10:03 AM
Yeap. :D

Big Shed
13th December 2007, 12:20 PM

Yep:2tsup:

killerbeast
18th December 2007, 05:37 PM
well now i have had some time to play with my SN2 and i am in loooooooovvvveeee so nice. But !! the pin jaws were not god quality !.

they had burrs on the sides from poor machining grrrr....

the ? is what to do now... write teknatools or ??

Big Shed
18th December 2007, 05:48 PM
killerbeast, I would do as I did and contact your supplier as well as Teknatool direct via their website.

My supplier, Carbatec in Melbourne replaced the ones they supplied and they were better than the originals, although still not up to scratch. I cleaned them up and they're OK now.

I had some problems communicating with Teknatool via their website. I use Gmail, and they tell me that their server blocks Gmail, go figure.

Anyway, if you have no luck, let me know, I have a direct email contact for someone at Teknatool.

He was nice enough to send me a set of soft jaws as a gesture to ease the pain they caused.

killerbeast
18th December 2007, 05:50 PM
will do im writing the supplier today and teknatool also. but i cant return the jaws as i already cleaned them up... they where needed for some of the christmas gifts i have been making...

Stu in Tokyo
18th December 2007, 09:24 PM
Mine were almost that bad, 10 seconds with a file on each, they are fine.

I agree that they should have been better, but I've got stuff that I set a priority on above that.

I did send them a note saying they were not as good as the other Nova product, and I never heard back from them, not the first time with that either :rolleyes:

I sure hope they get the kinks worked out, I've got the Nova G3 and the Titan, so I'm kind of stuck with their accessories, I'm wondering if I should have gone with the Vicmarc or the Oneway chucks? :doh:

Cheers!

killerbeast
18th December 2007, 09:34 PM
or robert sorby. his patriot chuck is intertchangeable with the nova.. and i have asked around and was told that it was better finish overall.

but still with the asking prices it´s still not ok. i had to spend a little more than 10 sek on each. but they now look like the powergrip jaws wich are really nice...

Harry72
19th December 2007, 07:59 AM
I got my set the other day, looks like MIK's are replacing them with the GPW ones... they are not the same in quality(no where near it)... but they do fit.
From what I can gather, the nova screws dont fit and the numbering is opposite(clock wise vs anti-clockwise).