PDA

View Full Version : Two Too Many

dakotax3
8th November 2007, 07:08 PM
I know of an ol' fella down near Wonthaggi, Gippsland, Victoria who has two old wooden boats he no longer wants. One is partly restored in his shed the other larger unrestored one sits in the driveway. Both open-topped, large dinghy style, but bloody heavy. Not sure, but I guess he got them both to restore but life just gets in the way.

Pagie
8th November 2007, 10:40 PM
Any more details? Thats not far from me.
Peter.

TK1
9th November 2007, 10:06 AM
So, dakotax...

Is he giving them away, looking to sell, etc? I'm a couple of hours away from there, could be interested and happy to talk to him about them. I can PM you / him my contact details if he likes.

Are you able to give any more details on the boats?

Thanks,
Darren

grayman
14th November 2007, 11:18 AM
Dakotax, Were you able to obtain any further details on both boats ? but speak very quietly as my wife may be listening. Grayman :wink:

Wild Dingo
14th November 2007, 01:10 PM
If he says the old fellas gonna be givin them away Im gonna choke some buggar!! :doh:

So many people have boats just sitting in sheds the back yard driveways marinas wherever and never use them fix them or nothin!! And its flamin irritatin!! I mean I wonder how many other fellas an sheilas out there are just pinin for a nice boat but for one reason or another cant get hold of one... and theres these types of boats just sittin in someones friggin yard?

Man... actually what seriously SERIOUSLY gets me wild is the ones in the marinas... year after year they sit there slowly rotting rainforests growing feet thich under their bums and when the owner FINALLY decides to sell they somehow have this idea the bloody things are still worth an arm and a leg :roll: and how many old fishin boats sit and rot? geez reminds me of that dipstick up in Mandurah with an old Pearl lugger who first thought it was a great thing got someone to sail it down from Broome then let her sit and rot in Dolphin Pool until it finally sprung its garboards and sank then left it there for another 5 years until fined and forced to get it out and now years later it sits and rots full of white ant in a paddock out the back of Mandurah... and yet this bloody galah still thinks its worth $60K the block of rust in his work shed is still worth 15K and the rigging and OLD sails (no sail bags) are worth 20K... and so the damned boat once pride of the Broome fleet rots away

I HATE THAT! :~

ahem not sayin in anyway thats what this old fellas doin!!... just got a rant happenin and couldnt stop it is all :B... and damnitall Im too far away to be in the race :C

TK1
14th November 2007, 01:20 PM
Hi Dingo,

I know what you mean - hence putting my hand up...especially if they're older boats and he thought they were worth saving, I'd hate to see them as firewood now. I can't afford the cost of a fully-restored boat that's ready to hit the water, but I can put time and money into it over time and do it properly, then enjoy it.

I too have seen plenty of people buy boats and then a few years later they're falling apart and for sale at around what they paid for a seaworthy boat! :(( Some people have no idea.

Still remember in Sydney near Manly, lots of boats probably worth over $50 or $100K never move, had a storm come through and quite a few sank at their moorings. Such a waste.

Hope the house move and tool sell-off doesn't imapct too heavily on your boat-building plans :rolleyes::D

Regards,
Darren

Wild Dingo
14th November 2007, 03:19 PM
:U yeah right... EVERYTHING impacts on my boatbuilding! EVERYTHING! :C

But hey Im an optimist if nothing and I know things will change for the better sooner or later and then... THEN!!... Watchout! :2tsup:

Funny I just got back from the Bunbury harbor where me an her highness had a nice pikanik lumch lookin over the water and the boats... now down there theres these fine ladeda cats... youknow the BIG monster things 30 40 and so on feet long things that cost an arm leg an two gronicles?... well theres one Ive been watching for some years now... lovely Crowther it is... never seen it move from its mooring... has to be at least 9 years now so I dived in and had a bit of a swim around and ducked under her starbord hull... and had to keep divin to get under the damned weed!! MAN!! that stuff would be no less than 4ft long and dense as any brick!... so sorta proved my point just sits yet if one were to ask if they wanted to sell her it would be a wink an yeah right mate got a spare quater mil?... mind you the old lugger down there the RoseF needs a damned good sorting out too getting rather raggeddy she is.

Ah well could be a bunch of reasons why they leave them like that...

anyway might have to create an add "project boat required for a mad buggar not much money as she gets that but plenty of passion" :; never know eh!

grayman
15th November 2007, 12:01 AM
Hi Dingo, Watch that blood pressure mate, you buy em cheaper when they rot a bit. Geez that new photo makes you look younger and I guess thats why you changed it.:U Regards Grayman

Wild Dingo
15th November 2007, 01:55 AM
aahh mate me blood pressures fine thanks for askin :;

As for gettin them cheeper after they rot a bit... not from what Ive found at least over here in the west its not!... dopey buggars would rather they died and crumpled than even consider giving someone the boat either cheeply so it can at least get some needed repairs over time or even giving someone a freebee for the opportunity to restore the thing than let it rot away... no they would let the boat totally rot out before they reduce the price or even consider a decent or realistic price... nope to them the boats worth what they paid for it back when it was in good nick and thats what they hang out for.

ah mate it just plain drives me insane seeing the condition of some beautiful wooden boats around the state :~ ...and nothing anyone can do about it either bloody shame :C

I personally have given away cars motorbikes and yes boats rather than see them rot... Ive given a car to a young fella who lived over the road from us who was struggling to get to work on time living 30klicks away and getting up at 4am to get there in time to start and therefore keep his job and the car was no longer of any use to me but was still in fair nick and licensed so I gave it to him... I gave a Honda 750 cafe racer to a woman who was in a bad domestic violence relationship just so she had the means to leave the state... Ive given a small woodenboat that Id restored to a bloke in Carnarvon in a wheelchair just so he could get on the water with his brother neither could afford to buy a boat but I had one we were leaving to hell with it here you go enjoy...

and yet here I am hanging out for a boat funny that eh? I just dont understand holding onto things that have become redundant or unnesessary to me if Im not using something I pass it on... sometimes I will ask a fair price for it but at others well I give them away why? because Id rather see them being used and enjoyed by someone than rotting due to lack of use and care.

just one of those things that gets right up my nasal passages is all :roll:

dakotax3
20th November 2007, 11:30 AM
Spoke to the ol' fella's son on Sunday. He would like to have one but he's a busy boy & may not be able to. Apparently the ol' fella's away so when he gets back in a week or so I'll get these messages to him. Yes, I know, some photos would be good, I'll pass the message on.

Wild Dingo
20th November 2007, 04:38 PM
Spoke to the ol' fella's son on Sunday. He would like to have one but he's a busy boy & may not be able to. Apparently the ol' fella's away so when he gets back in a week or so I'll get these messages to him. Yes, I know, some photos would be good, I'll pass the message on.

Well thank goodness weve cleared that photo issue up! :;

TK1
8th December 2007, 09:54 PM
Hey Dakotax,

Any update on the boat(s)? Any pics?

Thanks,
Darren

hairymick
10th December 2007, 10:30 PM
Heya Dingo,

I know exactly what you mean and how you feel mate.

There is a bloke just up the road from me had a carvel hull plank motor launch about 46 feet long with beautiful lines, moored in the local river for years - make that decades. (never left the bouy)

I offered him what I thought was a very good price for it in 1985 after it had suffered years of neglect. Surprise, surprise, "Thank you but no. I am doing her up" he said.

I returned to this area in 1999, the boat was still in the same place, only looking much worse for wear.

Long story short, this bloke is a friend of mine and in early 2000, I helped him pull her from the water on a large slipping trailer so that he could take her home for some much needed work. When she came out of the water, i gave the planks on the starbourd side, on the waterline a gentle thump with my fist and that was enough to punch a hole in the hull!

We got the boat back to his house and it has sat there ever since. I think the boat is probably beyond repair now but this fool still thinks it is worth an arm and a leg. But then again, this same bloke has had a genuine E type Jag, an XK120 Jag and a 1948 Daimler in his shed for about the same amount of time that he has done nothing with and the bloody chooks are laying in eggs in. Over the years, he has been offered very serious money for all of these cars but just wont part with them. go figure. I have heard that his brother has started to restore the XK.

archie1979
27th December 2007, 08:57 AM
any more info on these old boats my family is from wonthaggi and I am going down there tommorrow i grew up there. so any more info would be great

cheers

dakotax3
15th June 2009, 07:59 PM
Mr Forum Moderator,

I have no idea if i should be starting a new thread or continuing with this one as the original is quite old now tho the topic unchanged.

I revisited my friend on 14th June and have taken a photo of one of the two boats mentioned in the original post. By the looks of it, it once had a motor but no hardware remains now. The bow has opened up quite considerably but from what I saw it is essentially complete. Since moved to the sons property. The white sail-like material belongs to a wind surfer and is unrelated. Ditto the ladder.

m2c1Iw
15th June 2009, 08:13 PM
Hate to say this dakotax3 but by the look of it saving that one will be a restoration of mammoth proportions probably easier to start again using the lines.

Do you intend to do a restoration job.

Cheers
Mike

dakotax3
15th June 2009, 11:13 PM
Hi Mike,

I have put this thread up only as a favor for a friend. Yes, it needs some major work but I have seen restorers of vintage cars snap them up much worse than this. Anyway, at least Ive tried.

TK1
15th June 2009, 11:28 PM
Hi,

Ditto, looks like a lot of work. Any more pics?

Looks like the keel is stuffed too (rotten?) and definitely needs some new planking there!

Does anyone know what sort of boat it is?

Regards,
Darren