PDA

View Full Version : jow104 asking for computer assistance

jow104
8th November 2007, 07:44 PM
I am still having a lot of trouble with my PC. example in link post here.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/38/33623605-my-pc-supplier-says.html

I still have my old PC. but I suspect the battery inside is now dead, but before it died the old PC would not boot up and for some reason the reload disk supplied would not reinstall or restore.

I am thinking if I get this old PC up and running and now use a windows disk which I have (XP) and just use the computer for email and web use only, if I get hit by a virus can I just reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows again and set off again or are things more complicated than that?

woodbe
8th November 2007, 07:57 PM
If you're striking windows problems and want something relatively bulletproof on the email/web machine, try ubuntu linux.

woodbe

jow104
8th November 2007, 08:01 PM
If you're striking windows problems and want something relatively bulletproof on the email/web machine, try ubuntu linux.

woodbe

Can you please give further info.

OK did an google

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

Ianab
8th November 2007, 08:05 PM
basically yes, although the windows key supplied on the old PC's case probably wont work with the new XP disk.

Thats not impossible to get around though.. You can probably use the key from the new PC, it should still activate one more time ;)

Or use the old key, phone the MS activation problem phone line and talk to the nice lady from India, act dumb and they can give you a new key that works ;)

Plan C is to load reload the the old PC with Linux and just use it ;)

Cheers

Ian

Ianab
8th November 2007, 08:10 PM
If you have plenty of net bandwidth you can download Suse Linux, it's 5 CDs of stuff, everything you could imagine. The basic install just sets you up with a workstation with web/email/Office and graphics software.

Like Ubuntu it just works and is secure, and it's actually easier to install than Windows :rolleyes:

http://www.opensuse.org/

Cheers

Ian

jow104
8th November 2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks Ian.

I now remember I have got an old windows 98 disk (came with a PC, long gone to the landfil) so would that save a call to the lady in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire.

jow104
8th November 2007, 08:48 PM
So does linux not suffer virus problems from the web/Mail?

Dan
8th November 2007, 09:29 PM
So does linux not suffer virus problems from the web/Mail?
I haven't come across any, and I've been using it for a few months now.

The link below takes you to the Ubuntu Webcast site and it gives you a pretty good intro to what it's all about and how to install it (especially those from Alan Pope). For an older machine Xubuntu is recommended. It still works the same but uses a simpler graphical interface (from what I've read).

http://screencasts.ubuntu.com

woodbe
8th November 2007, 11:17 PM
Can you please give further info.

OK did an google

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

Hi jow104,

Linux is an opensource operating system. It comes in many flavours. Ubuntu is the current darling of the 'install and use' set. Basically, a standard install will give you everything you might need for internet and email and a bunch of other stuff you might not need.

It is different from Windows, but sufficiently familiar that most people find their way.

Viruses etc, are not yet a problem on linux. Maybe they never will be, but you never know, there are a lot of people wasting their lives hacking into windows because it is popular and easy to hack, why should windows have all the attention?.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

woodbe

jow104
8th November 2007, 11:51 PM
My pc supplier doesnt think I should go thjat way.

Hi John,

The main problem now linux is owned by Microsoft now and they have integrated it with Microsoft Server 2003 & 2008 as I am finding out to my cost when building up a web server for hosting web sites and become a isp in the near future.

Depends on specification of computer other option is put on windows 2000 as that is a stable operating system which can handle web & email no problems at all.

But main thing is that you still require a virus programme either if you use linux or windows as Microsoft have there ore in everything.

Dan
9th November 2007, 01:20 AM
I think there may be one or two inaccuracies in your suppliers advice.:oo:

Just for a laugh you could sign up over here (http://ubuntuforums.org/) and ask them if they think your suppliers comments have any truth to them.

jow104
9th November 2007, 01:41 AM
Yes Dan, I've had a few more of them from him as well.

woodbe
9th November 2007, 07:15 AM
Jow,

Your supplier is smoking crack.

woodbe.

Ianab
9th November 2007, 07:25 AM
The main problem now linux is owned by Microsoft :?:?:?

As it 'Open Source' public license no one can OWN it. Various companies release their own versions, but the core code is common, they just put their own front ends and customisations on it. But the licence to use the core code states that anything you develop from that code is also public property. So Ubuntu is still free, the company makes it's money by selling the manuals and technical support.

This has caused Microsoft a LOT of worry over the years, as their normal mode of operation is to just buy out the competition. As Linux isn't owned by anyone they couldn't buy it, or run anyone out of business over it. Also if they released their own version it would also be public domain.

Their previous strategy was to run it down and expouse how much better and more secure Windows was. That didn't fool enough people though, so now they seem to have settled on living with Linux and making some effort to have windows inter-operate with it. They would of course prefer that Linux and Mac OS just went way and everyone rushed out and bought a copy of Vista. Aint gonna happen ;)

The beauty of Linux is you can get it for free and install it on any old PC and have a play. It has reached the state now where a normal user can install it and have a working PC. If you dont like it you can just format the disk again and re-load windows. If you break it badly, you can just re-format and load it again. :doh: All it cost you was some time.

Cheers

Ian

jow104
9th November 2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks Ian.

I updated to bullguard 8 two days ago (virus software) from 7 and things have improved speed wise, also my deleted box in emails fills up automatically these days with the V mail etc.
However it also treats things like Woodworking tips as spam so I have to go in there to look after all.
Is there a way to let some spam in or have I got to accept small mercies?

Bullguard 8 is on a two months free trial if anyone is interested.

Will also get round to setting up Linux when the wife stops giving me more duties to fulful.

Master Splinter
9th November 2007, 09:08 PM
Don't pay for anti-virus software. Avast is free for home use, and it works very well.

There are viruses for Linux. Last time I checked,one of them came with man (manual) pages to help you get it to install and run correctly. Another had a fully functional un-install package so you could get rid of it when you had finished pretending that you lived in a Windows world.

They were all pretty limited - they would only install if you had revision x of package y without update z and an old copy of such and such utility as the front-end of program a that was configured to interface with database b without....... in short, because there are so many variables in the Linux environment, and because filesystem controls are so much better than in Windows, writing a good virus is extremely hard work, unlike scriptkiddie friendly Windows.

The biggest problems you are likely to encounter with Linux are:

a) what version to use - there's over 1,000 versions to choose from - from the easy to install Ubuntu, to the more commercial Fedora, to the 'security approved by the NSA' SELinux, to the 50 meg footprint of Damn Small Linux, to the specially tweaked version that the Google datacenter runs on.....

b) finding drivers for particular hardware items...however it seems that Linux is now better than Windows Vista in this respect!

c) getting used to silly program names - like - The GIMP (the GNU Image Manipulation Program - a photoshop-alike) - or recursive acronyms (WINE = WINE Is Not an Emulator or GNU = GNU's Not Unix)

jow104
9th November 2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks above, I have to live with my pc supplier for guarantee purposes also he is a one man band type supplier.

I installed bullguard 8 a few days ago and since installing there has not been any hiccups, and running fairly quickly. But I have added all posts to my favourites under linux and will jump when needed.