PDA

View Full Version : woodcarving

multinut
1st November 2003, 02:08 PM
howdy all
i have been woodcarving and whittling for a couple of years using only chisels and knives and have just purchased a dremel to try something new (a lot noisier than chisels)
i was just wondering
if a woodcarving is created using a dremel is it still called a wood carving or would it be classed as a wood sculpture ?

Neil
1st November 2003, 04:20 PM
Copped a load of flack from the arty farty mob over a statement I made some 18 years ago. What the hell, here it comes again.

"A sculptor is a woodcarver who couldn't cut the mustard."

Multinut, you call it whatever you like. Woodcarving, sculpture, work of art, object, useless wooden object. You create it, you name it and to hell with the rest of the world.

Cheers - Neil http://www.ubeaut.biz/wave.gif
A woodcarver and proud of it.

PS Many purests reckon the dremel is not true carving. I reckon whatever it takes to get the job done is fine. Although I own a dremel it hardly ever got used as it was much quicker and easier to use the hand tools for most carving work and I always found the hand tools were easier to control especially for fine work.

multinut
12th November 2003, 09:00 PM
hi Neil
thanks for your reply
i dont feel that im a purest
but i do like the gleam produced from a sharp chisel
you dont get that gleam from the dremel
checkout my latest in the woodwork pics
the only spot i used the dremel was to make the hole for the glass eye to sit into

multinut
a Jnr woodcarver & proud of it :)

Richard M Andre
30th May 2004, 03:18 PM
Oooohhhhhh guess I'm not a woodcarver then. So what am I?
then?

my site (http://www.woodensail.com)

ozwinner
30th May 2004, 03:43 PM
A little tea pot?

I looked at your site, you need to ditch the crapy music :eek: , as soon as the music started I closed your window. :eek:

Al :)

Sturdee
30th May 2004, 05:18 PM
Oooohhhhhh guess I'm not a woodcarver then. So what am I?
then?

At a rough guess a toymaker :D Admittedly expensive and good looking toys (way ahead of my own ability) but still toys :) :)

Peter.

Richard M Andre
31st May 2004, 05:08 AM
King Crimson
"I talk to the wind"

I know music isn't for everyone, but I like it.(sorry for you simple folk LOL)

Toys? Well, I think of them more as sculptures. Anyway, they sell....Well.

Hee Hee...... :rolleyes:

A little tea pot?

I looked at your site, you need to ditch the crapy music :eek: , as soon as the music started I closed your window. :eek:

Al :)