PDA

View Full Version : stumps

stevox
1st November 2003, 10:59 PM
Currently putting an extention on a hundred year old cottage. Post holes are dug and stumps are ready to go in. I've been running a string-line off the existing house and using a water level to get my hights. Still a bit concerned about getting those stumps in the exact right spot and hight. Any tips anyone?
Stevox

PS: I am using redgum so there's room to cut down if needed.

re do 4 u
2nd November 2003, 09:21 AM
you could buy or hire a laser level. i bought a cheap laser from bunnings a few weeks ago for $40? which wight be cheaper than hiring. it is quite good enough for small jobs as it only has a week laser light, good for about 50-70mts. just use a length of wood for the staff and pencil marks. any slight adjustments can be made with packing under the bearers.

good luck.

John G
2nd November 2003, 04:17 PM
When reblockers restump a house, they suspend the stumps in the holes from the existing bearers and pump the concrete in. This ensures the stumps are all at the same height.

If you put a joist or bearer along where you are putting the stumps, with the joist at the correct height (and it should be easy to level), then putting in the stumps should be easy.

The stumps should have an embedded wire that you use to hang them from.

echnidna
2nd November 2003, 06:18 PM
House removers work with old timbers and buildings which are usually straight to start with.

Dont try putting new bearers in then hanging the stumps below them. Most bearer and joist timber is slightly bowed. Put stumps in to a stringline then after the concrete is set pull the bearers to the stumps which straightens them. Dont forget to allow for thickness variations in your sub floor framework if you are using OBHW