PDA

View Full Version : Little HF and some Vacuum Chucking

Stu in Tokyo
11th November 2007, 12:50 AM
This is made from a wood called "Tochi-no-ki" known as "Japanese Horse Chestnut" in English, it is sought after for many things here is Japan, light, strong and easy to work, medium hard.

Turns nice, but not as nice as hard maple, but this piece I got has some really nice striping to it......

While I'm at it, I'll also show you the new bell shaped vacuum chuck I made tonight.

I cut 3 thick pieces of MDF, glued them together with thick CA glue, then cut them roundish on the Phoenix. I them mounted them on one of the square blocks I made with the Beall threading tool thing.

I put it on the lathe, made DARN sure the cyclone extractor was RIGHT NEXT to the work and trued it up, and hollowed it out..........

I sanded it down nice and smooth to #240 and then applied a LOT of sanding sealer, maybe 3 coats. I then sanded that down to #320 and applied another 3 coats of Melamine Lacquer, until the surface was smooth, should hold enough air. I then cut a piece of inner tube I got from somewhere in a rough circle and used contact cement to glue it in place, and pounded it on with a rubber mallet. Once it was secure, I trimmed the inner tube (now gasket) up nice and neat with my skew........

How about that for 30 minutes work, and WAY cheaper than the Oneway units

next I mounted up the hollow form I'm working on.........

There the smallish hollow form is mounted up ready to get it's bottom spanked!

here is the bottom of the hollow form all nice and smooth, well spanked I'd say!

I'll make these up smaller and larger whenever I need them, the don't take long to do and I'm sure they will come in handy all the time.

Sure is nice turning the bottom off with that vacuum rig.........gloat gloat

I put the top cap on using a centering jig I just made up.

I turned a MT#2 on the piece of wood, then cut a recess in it the same basic shape as the cap for the hollow form, using this, with the tail stock, to line everything up while gluing.......

59910 59911
worked rather well, it was only off just a smidgen, but won't matter once the piece is all finished, all I have to do on the cap is a little sanding.

here is the finished piece.........

59912 59913

The wood is Tochinoki, and has a really nice wave or stripe to it, as well as some spalting just to make it even more interesting

This wood is softer than the Hard Maple I've been turning, and I had to really work hard at it to get a nice tear-out free cut.

A close up of the wood.

now it will get a few coats of rattle can lacquer, then a buff and wax.

I have a bunch more of this stuff

The form is about 4" wide by maybe 3" tall, the bottom is maybe 1/4" thick, the rest of it is real thin, maybe 1/16", yeah, could see light shining through it

This one will be a Christmas present for my Mom.

Cheers!

wheelinround
11th November 2007, 01:00 AM
Stu nice stuff :2tsup:

killerbeast
11th November 2007, 03:56 AM
Rely nice ! ... must remember to build vaccum chucking system ....

BernieP
11th November 2007, 02:59 PM
G'Day Stu

Thanks for the "how-to" and a really nice piece sure mum will love it.

Cheers
Bernie

OGYT
11th November 2007, 03:55 PM
Well done piece, Stu! Nice chuck system, too.

Cliff Rogers
11th November 2007, 04:32 PM
Stu, you said,

I them mounted them on one of the square blocks I made with the Beall threading tool thing.
Do you a post about that & can we have a link to it please?

Top job by the way. :2tsup:

TTIT
12th November 2007, 12:31 AM
Nice one Stu :2tsup:. So you threaded the MDF ??!!?? or am I reading wrong ?!?!:B

Stu in Tokyo
12th November 2007, 04:10 AM
Thanks guys, I threaded a nice thick, strong piece of Sakura, a very hard wood on the back.

Just for you Cliff..........

FREE FACEPLATES (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=623374#post623374)

:U

Cliff Rogers
12th November 2007, 09:21 AM
Beauty, ta. :2tsup:

I just use a straight hole made with a forstner bit & pin jaws or shark jaws to suit.

Edit: But your system would work better for a vacuum chuck, mine wouldn't. :think: