PDA

View Full Version : roto-zip vs colt?

tallgrass
12th November 2007, 11:11 AM
i have been looking at a spiral cutters and was thinking ..... why not buy something like a Bosch Colt instead of a roto-zip. i am thinking the colt is better over all in terms of quality and versatility ........i think of the roto-zip as a little gimmicky so i was thinking maybe the colt might be the ticket.
thoughts ?

DJ’s Timber
12th November 2007, 11:39 AM
Just to let you know tallgrass, these tools are not available in Australia, which is where most of the forum members are located. So you may not get much advice here if any at all

tallgrass
12th November 2007, 11:47 AM
so what do use that performs the same task?

DJ’s Timber
12th November 2007, 11:54 AM
I should have been a bit clearer, we do use trimmers here but those two particular models are not available here.

tallgrass
12th November 2007, 05:52 PM
thanks

Pusser
13th November 2007, 12:26 AM
Triton sell a rotary saw - the 5 in one spin saw.
http://www.triton.com.au/product.php?id=35

Do not know any one who has one or used one. Maybe Stu can advise.

Ryobi also do one I think.

I have just used a dremel with the tile cutter attachment and spiral cutters. Not really up to it though.

jaspr
13th November 2007, 03:37 PM
I've got the Triton 5 in 1 with spiral cutters, but I can't comment on how this compares to the two US machines.

bsrlee
14th November 2007, 08:46 PM
As a confirmed shop crawler I can report that the Colt router (its the new Bosch guys) IS available in Oz, as are a variety of 'Roto-zip' clones (but not the original). The Triton rotary saw is the closest to the US original.

The main difference is that the 'Zip' type tools seem to use a 1/8" cutting bit, but the Colt is a 1/4" trim router, and only comes with a 1/4 collet (maybe there is an 8mm available ?). If the job you are looking at doing can stand a 1/4" wide chunk being taken out, then the Colt would be more versatile.

If it can't, or you are looking at other tasks that people talk about using a 'Dremel' for, then a 'Zip'-type tool would be the go - but you have to decide which direction you are going, and what tools you already have.

tallgrass
16th November 2007, 02:55 PM
thanks guy for all of your info.....the "roto rip" spiral cutter just seems like a pile of cheese and thought that there would be more utility in a trim router, if it could do the same stuff. so, i guess the question is ....have any of you guys used spiral cutters in your trim routers?.....is this spiral cut type tool unique to the American market? thoughts?

jaspr
17th November 2007, 01:35 PM
I've used a spiral cutter in the triton 5 in 1 - but I only have cutters that are quite small in diameter (sorry - it's been a while and I can't remember how big exactly).

I haven't found any that are 1/4". I don't think you could use standard router spiral cutters in this way - they are, I think, for plunging only. (The triton takes both 1/4' bits and smaller dremel like ones using a smaller collet reducer thingo - like in the dremel.)

I have used it, with the spiral cutters, to cut laminate and what is called 'lamipanel' here - it's about 5mm thick waterproof bench top material. The spiral cutters work a treat in this stuff. They go through it like butter and leave a very clean edge.

Eli
18th November 2007, 08:05 AM
I've used the Roto-zip, but not the colt. What are you using it for? Plunge cutting holes for electrical and plumbing in drywall is what the Roto-zip is best at, IMHO. Never used it to trim laminate.

Haven't used the Colt. Speaking of not available, it's too bad the Festool Laminate trimmers are NAINA yet.

tallgrass
18th November 2007, 06:10 PM
actually i am looking at using it for cutting tile and other dirty stuff. as for festool ..not importing a trim router .....that is ok ....you use their 1010 with the trim attachments and it is the best trim router i have seen....most people do not know about the parts to do this but boy does it work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tallgrass
18th November 2007, 06:12 PM
also i was thinking of using the spiral cutter bit in the trim router...not router bits.:U