PDA

View Full Version : Bifurcated rivets

Sculptured Box
12th November 2007, 02:34 PM
Hi

Does anyone have any experience with the use of bifurcated rivets and their supply. I am looking for brass plated rivets.

scooter
12th November 2007, 03:04 PM
No experience with usage, Tony, can get them at your hardware store usually near either pop rivets or mini zenith packs of screws, washers, etc.

Cheers...............Sean

Sculptured Box
12th November 2007, 03:57 PM
the scene maybe better in Victoria - no luck here in western Sydney, thus the request for assistance!

echnidna
12th November 2007, 05:36 PM
Theres some on ebay uk here (http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search.dll?sofocus=so&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=Bifurcated+rivets&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&floc=1&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=3268&sabfmts=1&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=3&fsoo=1)

Sculptured Box
12th November 2007, 06:13 PM
Thank you, yes I saw them, they are a little shorter than what I am looking for e.g. 15mm.

I am building a carry case for the Australia Opera's glockenspiel, and am using the old carry case as the model. It has 15mm Bifurcated rivets which have stood the test of time, e.g. to attach the carry handle, hinges and corners.

echnidna
12th November 2007, 06:29 PM
try a saddlery

Paul NQ
13th November 2007, 07:09 PM
It amazing what isn't supplied anymore. Especially when you go looking for things that have stood the test of time.

Maybe, I just had a similar experience to you. I was looking for what turned out to be called "tinman" rivets. Most hardware didn't stock them. I was lucky enough to be finally given a box by a glass and aluminium supplier, who didn't use them any more.

The brand name on the packet was "Jackson" (I think) who seem to have supplied a range of fasteners. Maybe if you can talk to a helpful hardware, they might show you their ordering catalogues (Jackson and others) and then be able to order what you want.

flynnsart
13th November 2007, 10:29 PM
This leather supply store has them listed http://www.crispinleather.com.au/4.html

Donna

burraboy
14th November 2007, 05:52 AM
Try Watsons in Blackheath, down by the Commonwealth Bank. I've bought them there in the past.

jow104
14th November 2007, 07:07 AM
Echnidna,
Your source and knowledge when posting still amazes me.

How on earth did you find ebay uk for those items?

MrFixIt
14th November 2007, 11:56 AM
Hi

er... SEARCH! :2tsup:

:U

A search on Google returns 146,000 instances for bifurcated rivets.

echnidna
14th November 2007, 05:35 PM
Echnidna,
Your source and knowledge when posting still amazes me.

I search Australia and if there's insufficient results I tick the worldwide search box on the left and see what happens.

Terminology & even spelling variations between different countries can be interesting

bsrlee
14th November 2007, 07:47 PM
'Bif rivets' are still a standard item in leather craft - try Birdsall's in Botany, or look up 'tanneries' in the on-line Yellow pages. Even if they don't have a direct outlet, they can probably tell you where the leather craft retailers are.

As a further observation, the quality of 'bif' rivets had fallen off quite a bit when I was still buying them - made in China opposed to made in Oz - and the 'legs' tended to break off about 1 in 3 rivets.

You will also need to make a setting tool from a bit of rod - I used a scrap offcut of 1/4" rod, just ground one end to a 'V' and made sure it was blunt, and cleaned up the other end. Insert the 'V' between the legs, tap and then use the side to spread the legs closer to the surface, then finally curl the legs back into the leather - avoid trying to flatten the legs out to a sharp angle as they WILL break off.

Suitable substitutes are brass 'Chicago bolts' joiners - used to be used to bind loose leaf documents together & still available from Lee Valley but only for over 20mm thicknesses - try old stationers as they used to come down to 1/4". There are also chrome plated screw posts with 1/8"(3mm) or less shanks available in leather findings.