PDA

View Full Version : Rusty chuck.

Caveman
12th November 2007, 08:33 PM
G'day all - just a quick post - might help or remind/prevent someone from making the same stupid mistake:-:((.

On Saturday morning I started a very wet hollow form only to be interupted whilst half way through the hollowing - fine - no worries - just wrapped the whole thing up in a plakky bag.
Only managed to get back to it on Sunday arvo - unwrapped it all - HF still fine - no warping/cracking etc - still nice and round but, the chuck wasn't so happy being cooped up with a warm, wet, sweaty piece of wood over night:doh: - a pretty obvious outcome:B.

Rust actually very minimal but if I handn't managed to get back to it yesterday, it might have been there a few days:oo:.

rsser
12th November 2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the heads-up Andy.

Just a btw, if you're gripping green timber and don't want the black marks that some woods will produce, use of couple of layers of kitchen wrap over the jaws.

[Added: and if your stock is up to human head size, a plakky shower cap can be used to cover it without overlapping much of the chuck.]

hughie
12th November 2007, 09:33 PM
Andy,

I have used sticky tape to cover my jaws and usally cover the job with a loose plastic shopping bag.
So far so good, although I try and avoid leaving a green job in the chuck. I have not had any rust but some fairly thick stain type discolouration that needs to scraped off.....when I get around to it :U

Cliff Rogers
12th November 2007, 11:26 PM
Yeap, best if bag or glad wrap just the wet job & leave the chuck outside.

Caveman
12th November 2007, 11:39 PM
:2tsup:Thanks for the tips guy's.
Glad wrap sounds good - will keep some handy.

TTIT
13th November 2007, 12:05 AM
Dontcha's know rusty jaws grip better'n shiny ones!!! :;

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th November 2007, 12:20 AM
I thought the rust protected the good metal from the finishes?

I could be wrong: it's been so long since I've seen any metal under all the dust stuck to overspray that I could be using wooden chucks for all I can remember... :B

OGYT
13th November 2007, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Andy.
I'm with skew. Mine are so cruddy sometimes I can't tell what they're made of. :)