PDA

View Full Version : Parkerising - interesting results

hux
12th November 2007, 09:24 PM
Today I was changing batteries in a torch and thought I'd dispose of the empties thoughtfully so cut them open for the managese powder to try with Grahame's recipe.

So I pulled out my new QCTP tool holder I made as the guinea pig. A thorough degrease, wipe over in wax and oil remover (Prepsol for spraypainting) and then suspended it over the boiling solution - use a deep pot it froths up hard when you put the steel wool in.

So I boiled away...pulled it out it looks good, rinse, put it back it straight away. Rinsed and thought what the heck I have a few other bits here I could do....the nut off the top of the QCTP which was getting rusty and two arbors for slitting saws I had made.

So they get dumped in the pot for about 1/2 the time of the QCTP holder.
Then rinsed off, and I oil them up and run with some 000 steel wool to get the white scale off.

Amazingly the 3 bits I dropped in the put with only a cursory degrease are perfect and show that slightly green grey coating of parkerising. The tool holder though the coating is extremely thin to non existent.

Weird and I wonder what did wrong? They are all 1020 CRS.

Grahame Collins
12th November 2007, 10:00 PM
Hi Hux
I don't what to tell you.
Maybe take the tool holder and toss it out in the weather for a bit to get it rusty.
Reclean and redo again. Just a stab in the dark. If the other bits were daggy maybe there's the difference.

Grahame

hux
12th November 2007, 10:17 PM
Hi Hux
I don't what to tell you.
Maybe take the tool holder and toss it out in the weather for a bit to get it rusty.
Reclean and redo again. Just a stab in the dark. If the other bits were daggy maybe there's the difference.

Grahame

Yeah weird you would think that when the solution is strongest would be best??
Suspended it in the solution whilst the other stuff was touching bottom and each other.
One bit had a bit of surface rust on it - the hot weekend and me sweating over the lathe, the other two were squeeky clean.

I think it will be easiest to wait until I have a few bit I want to do.....I need to get a PTA and bring home a 1901 BSA No1 Mk3 action for my latest gun project (Lee Speed sporter replica in 375 2.5" as per "The Ghost and the Darkness" style). Not sure if I should parkerise or have a go at rust bluing.

The project rifle is a good machining exercise - I won't chamber it or anything like that but want to make the express sights exc.