PDA

View Full Version : super chisel

weisyboy
13th November 2007, 06:56 PM
has anyone tried super chisel chain?

it is an origan chain anyone know the sthil equivelant?

it was recomended to me buy the guy i have cutting posts for my fencing.

is it any good?

Sigidi
16th February 2008, 12:36 AM
As no-one else is game to answer...

Weisyboy

Super Chisel is an Oregon chain type, but I don't know the Stihl equivalent - sorry.

I've read Full Chisel chains cut quicker but need sharpening sooner and semi-chisel chains hold their edge longer and are easier to sharpen, so it depends what th erecommendation was based on I 'spose...

hope it helps 3 months after you where thinking about it

weisyboy
16th February 2008, 08:43 AM
i got some and ave it a try and i am never buying it again.

it was hard work ripping posts with it and as for in the mll well lets just say i got the grinder out and its now skip tooth full chisel chain.

Sigidi
16th February 2008, 10:03 AM
So how did you find it for keeping it's edge - did it need sharpening sooner.

What about it being sharper than semi-chisel?

elmoticus
16th February 2008, 11:16 AM
Super/Full chisel definitely cuts faster under the right conditions, the timber has to be really clean ...no sand or dirt at all or it will lose it's edge quickly. I find it a little easier to sharpen, but you do need to do it more often. I wouldn't buy a super chisel chain for general woodcutting...a semi-chisel is the way to go, it's much more forgiving.

weisyboy
16th February 2008, 01:19 PM
it needs sharening a bit sooner but i dont think it cuts any quicker as i said i am not buying anymore.

BobL
16th February 2008, 03:07 PM
Super/Full chisel definitely cuts faster under the right conditions, the timber has to be really clean ...no sand or dirt at all or it will lose it's edge quickly. I find it a little easier to sharpen, but you do need to do it more often. I wouldn't buy a super chisel chain for general woodcutting...a semi-chisel is the way to go, it's much more forgiving.

Yep I agree, I think it cuts faster at the beginning if the wood is clean and for a while it cuts about the same as semi chisel and then it doesn't cut as fast. Its probably because most of the cutting is done at the chisel tip which blunts quickly. I generally mill about 2 logs in a logging session on a Saturday so I sometimes change chains somewhere in middle there and then a touch up sharpen both chains during the week in the quite of an evening. I don't mind sharpening but could see it would be a PITA if one had to do this on daily basis.