PDA

View Full Version : Removing Grout

Reidies
13th November 2007, 08:15 PM
I am faced with the nightmare of removing cement type of grout on a bathroom floor. It has been suggested that I use a angle grinder with a diamond blade but I reckon its too risky as you can easilly damage the tiles.

Most of the grout removing tools I have used (tungstan tip blades and a serrated blade have all proved useless.

Any suggestions will be considered

HELP

celeste
13th November 2007, 08:29 PM
Hi Reidies

Trust me I have tried everything!!

Yes the grinder will skip and scratch the tiles, The dremel tool is useless and I cannot remember everything else--- the only thing that worked is the little handle held grout saw and course sand paper - lots and lots of elbo grease.......:oo:

Do not try to dig it all out just 1/2 and re-grout. If it is the floor, have you considered tiling straight over the top.:2tsup:

Celeste

Bluegum
13th November 2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks Celeste I also have to do this at home and I was going to try and dig it out with an old screw driver. You may have saved me some work.

thesupervisor
13th November 2007, 09:06 PM
its a bugger of a job you may find you will slip out of the grout line and bang scratch a tile or ten if its not a large are i would just tile over if the grout is dirty i would recomend a pro grout cleaner its amazing what they can do just be sure to use a sealer over the grout after

Master Splinter
13th November 2007, 09:08 PM
I have done long grout runs with a wet cutoff saw on a MDF guide...lots of setup work to align it, but quick after that. The ends/edges were a pain though.

If I was doing it again and had even the slightest reason not to like the tiles...I'd strip the tiles off and re-tile!