PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Tile

rabbett
14th November 2007, 11:33 AM
I want to place square and round ceramic tiles into wooden cutting boards and I would like some help on how to go about this. Does anyboby know if there is a jig available to attach to a router, or how to design a jig.

Pusser
14th November 2007, 03:41 PM
Round ones are easy - use a circle cutting jig (the triton comes with one) like in the picture to define the outside of the circle. Then clean out the centre by free hand routing. If the hole you desire is bigger than the router base is to big tape a false bottom on which bridges the gap. (see sketch)

For the square hole you can use a cut out the same size as the tile or stick four pieces of MDF around the tile as shown in the sketch. Follow the edges around with a pattern following or flush cut bit (with the bearing on the top) Freehand clean out using a false bottom bridging piece if necessay. You will need to square out the corners using a chisel.

rabbett
14th November 2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the help, will try.:wink:

Pusser
15th November 2007, 12:48 AM
You can actually construct the square without cutting any board exactly by laying out the boards as in this sketch:

rod1949
15th November 2007, 09:40 AM
You can actually construct the square without cutting any board exactly by laying out the boards as in this sketch:

Pusser, I've never thought of it like that, which would be great and simple for a one off. I'll have to remember this one.